PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a propane burner?

thillin
01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I picked up a dual propane burner cheap. It'll be perfect for comps to heat water, heat sauces and cook beans. Looks like previous owner fried alot and didn't clean much. What's the best way to clean it up? Oven cleaner then power wash? Some other kind of degreaser?

jestridge
01-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Boil it outside with lye or some type of degreaser.

thillin
01-17-2009, 06:36 PM
It's similar to this one. Has a solid bottom, so it was a catch all. And the rest of the housing is caked on and sticky.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/IMG_0163.jpg

kickassbbq
01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
C-4
2 lbs., stand back, keep kids away and BLAST.

jestridge
01-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Lye will work good on that cast iron

cheez59
01-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Spray with a degreaser, wait a bit and pressure wash it. Been there done that.

Midnight Smoke
01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I am not as gas guy but think I read somewhere to take a fine wire to clean out the burner holes. Me I would use oven cleaner, spray and put in garbage bag overnight and wash well. Do the burner heads come apart from the manifold? If so I would take it apart first.

Butt Ugly
01-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Might try taking it to the carwash, hit it with some engine degreaser and then the powerwasher?

Beerwolf
01-17-2009, 11:20 PM
I think Id pull off anything that isnt steel and throw it in the fire... treat it like a cast iron frying pan.. burn it all down to shiney metal and then throw a coat of hi heat on it. use a little compressed air to blow out the orfices and you are as good as new

thillin
01-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Let me clear up my post some. THe burners themselves are in good shape. It's everything else that has that hard and tacky grease buildup. Some is on finished(painted or powder coated) parts. Like the wind block and base on the burner. I tried Simple Green and my little home power washer to no avail.

So I'm thinking oven cleaner then car wash, or just take it to the car wash and use the degreaser there?

swamprb
01-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Try it, it may work. I'd scrape off as much as you can and let whatever cleaner really soak in. I cleaned up a couple Camp Chef stoves that another shift had fried turkeys all day on with peanut oil and that chit was hard as hell to get off. We have a 500* steam cleaner and I used it and Green Gunk and still worked my a$$ off-and I was getting paid!