PDA

View Full Version : Trimming meat prior to Competition

ammoore
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
I know that technically you can trim you meat at home before going to the competition but I wondered if anyone actually does it?
If so, what do you use to transport the trimmed (non-seasoned) meat?

nthole
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
You cannot. The meat will not be approved. They should be making sure that the meat is sealed and uncut when the inspect it.

Jacked UP BBQ
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
We didn't for a long time. We than did and realized we had more time to drink. We transport in butchers paper or cryovac

Jacked UP BBQ
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
You cannot. The meat will not be approved. They should be making sure that the meat is sealed and uncut when the inspect it.

Not kcbs, they only look for unseasoned and pork weight requirements.

Fatback Joe
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I cook FBA and trim most everything at home. Chicken and ribs for sure. Vac seal to transport and bring along the original packaging as proof.

Scottie
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM

You are wrong on that...

FWIW I trim all of mine and then I vacuum seal. I only vacuum seal, to keep the juices from making my coolers a mess. I also do not save the labels, as the rules do not require us to do that. Not sure about FBA, as I have heard that those guys save their packaging... Not sure why, as that is a silly rule. I mean, how can you tell you got it from that packaging?

Bbq Bubba
01-12-2009, 03:21 PM

Really? Where?

I cook FBA and trim most everything at home. Chicken and ribs for sure. Vac seal to transport and bring along the original packaging as proof.

Chicken at least, same as above.

LOTS more time to socialize and not be trimming chicken!!! :cool:

Dale P
01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I have done it at home and at comps. Trimming at home is easier for us. Gives us more time to play.

Big George's BBQ
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
I was told that you can trim the meat at home. You can not put on rubs or inject it before inspection

KC_Bobby
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Chicken at home for sure, brisket is also nice to get out of the way if time allows. I find pork is easy to trim at the comp as are the ribs. But nothing wrong with doing them early too if you want or if time allows.

Back to chicken. I want to make sure I get this done at home for a few reasons:
1) I hate it, after setting up the site the last thing I want to do is trim chicken
2) It sure is nice trimming chicken inside an environment of 70 degrees (+/-) ... well, nice comparatively
3) More time to go shiggin and watch other's shave their chicken
4) Did I mention I hate trimming chicken? I've decided that I'd rather build parsley boxes then trim chicken

Anyone know of any local butchers that trim thighs for comps? $10/lb might be worth it

Arlin_MacRae
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Here is the applicable 2008 KCBS rule:

All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected products, as shown on label (EXCLUDING (but not limited to): teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected ). When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat. (Competition meat not meeting these qualifications shall be disqualified; given a one (1) in all criteria by all six judges)

I don't see anything about trimming.

lunchlady
01-12-2009, 04:07 PM
we sometimes trim ahead... never been a problem...then we double-bag in ziplocs

jtfisher63
01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
You are wrong on that...

FWIW I trim all of mine and then I vacuum seal. I only vacuum seal, to keep the juices from making my coolers a mess. I also do not save the labels, as the rules do not require us to do that. Not sure about FBA, as I have heard that those guys save their packaging... Not sure why, as that is a silly rule. I mean, how can you tell you got it from that packaging?

This is what we do also.

Alexa RnQ
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
KCBS permits pre-trimming. When teams are asked to save labeling, I think it boils down to the local HD wanting to see that the meat was bought somewhere that supposedly adheres to USDA standards.

After we were recently at a KCBS-sanctioned comp where the legality of pretrimming was questioned, I printed out a copy of the KCBS rules pertaining thereto and it now resides in our toolkit.

I can only speak for our kitchen, I suppose, but it's a considerably more controlled and sanitary environment than a table setup out in the field.

QDoc
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
From
DivaHerself--
"After we were recently at a KCBS-sanctioned comp where the legality of pretrimming was questioned, I printed out a copy of the KCBS rules pertaining thereto and it now resides in our toolkit."
Good Idea!:-D

ammoore
01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone....I was really curious if you had encountered any problems with any of the organizers or KCBS reps. It really boils down to an integrity issue....who's to say the pre-packaged meat that you show for inspection is the meat you are cooking for the contest :)

HoDeDo
01-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I have NEVER had a problem with inspectors and pre-trimmed meat. I have had health dept. folks (not contest reps or organizers) ask if I have a receipt or label so I can "prove" the meat was USDA inspected, and not something I processed on my own.

I agree with Scottie... it is somewhat silly to think that a receipt from Sam's that is a day old has anything to do with the meat in my cooler... but they do accept that, or a label as "proof" your meat is USDA meat fit for public consumption.

Outside of that occasional Health inspector (only happened twice in 16 years that I can think of) You shouldnt have any trouble with pre-trimming meat.

Scottie
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree Andy. I been harassed more by the fire departments over fire extinguishers, than by the health. Fortunately, because of some idiots at the Royal, all my fire extinguishers are all new...

Buster Dog BBQ
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Heck, here in Iowa we rarely have to take the meat out of the cooler.

Do any of you do your vacuum seal with extra space, so you can cut the end off after inspection and then reuse the bag if you marinade?

Rub
01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Pre-trimming at home is time well spent.
Makes your Friday so much less busy.

The Giggler
01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Pretrimmed chicken makes me tired on Thursday night, and happy on Friday! Its the last thing I do when prepping for a contest.

I always save receipts and repackage in ziplock bags. No one ever asked, but I keep them to track expenses.

All the other categories are easy to work with onsite.

Jeff_in_KC
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I found out it's MUCH easier to pre-trim at home. It was seriously sweet to show up at a comp by myself without Stan or my wife with all four categories already trimmed and in bags. Of course that way, no one can prove that my chicken has been shaved. :wink:

Vince RnQ
01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Pre-trimming is also legal for IBCA contests.

nthole
01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I've been out for a few hours...but I stand corrected! I've always just followed the pork butt rules for all meat. I think our chicken may be getting trimmed early this year.

Nature Boy
01-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I've been out for a few hours...but I stand corrected! I've always just followed the pork butt rules for all meat. I think our chicken may be getting trimmed early this year.

Hey Neil
By all means, if you have time to trim the meat ahead, you'll have exactly that much less to do at the comp. Never has an inspector asked to see the label the meat came in. They want to make sure it looks fresh, is buried in ice, and doesn't have brown liquid and pepper specks on it.

Good luck out there this year!
Chris

Bigmista
01-13-2009, 01:06 AM
I always save receipts and repackage in ziplock bags.

Why do you put your receipts in ziplock bags?

Gowan
01-13-2009, 04:38 AM
Why do you put your receipts in ziplock bags?

To keep the money from leaking out! :lol:

Chipper
01-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Where can us new folks find info on trimming chicken?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-13-2009, 07:12 AM
I trim my chicken and ribs at home now. The chicken "trims" I save for soup. The rib trims normally hit the trash can. I just use good bags to repackage the meat. The rules dont call for any proof of purchase, so I dont carry any. Makes cooking solo much easier..

ThomEmery
01-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Yes do them at home
Then all you have to do onsite
is inject season etc.

tony76248
01-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I always pretrim my meats unless I run out of time due to other responsibilities. It saves lots of time and is easier done at home as far as clean-up goes. Nothing beats pulling your meat out of the cooler, applying seasoning and placing in the smoker.

I agree with KC Bobby, I hate having to prep chicken and ribs at a comp....plus you get the flies and the buzzkill....

Stoke&Smoke
01-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I always pretrim my meats unless I run out of time due to other responsibilities. It saves lots of time and is easier done at home as far as clean-up goes. Nothing beats pulling your meat out of the cooler, applying seasoning and placing in the smoker.

I agree with KC Bobby, I hate having to prep chicken and ribs at a comp....plus you get the flies and the buzzkill....

I always tried to pre-trim at home. More control, better lighting, and it doesn't matter what the weather is. The one exception last season, we were running late and couldn't pre-trim. Got to the site, and when I started to trim, the bees came:eek::eek::eek::eek:

We will NOT be doing that again! Much easier to pre-trim everything!

Those Racine Wisconsin bees are cranky!

HoDeDo
01-13-2009, 08:36 AM

You can trim pork butt at home too... obviously you wouldnt want to trim it under 5 lbs. at home, but I never get butts that would mistaken for 5lbs or less :-P <queue sir mix alot> " I like big butts and I can not lie....":twisted:

Fredbird
01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I usually buy a couple of cases spare ribs at a time. That way I can trim and sort them at home. The best ribs are saved for contests and the others are used for practice. Pre-trimming and sorting in advance eliminates the suspense/surprise when opening the cyrovacs at a contest. After trimming all the ribs are vacuum sealed and labelled.

Chipper
01-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Where can us new folks find info on trimming chicken?

Any help, anyone??

tonto1117
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Any help, anyone??

Try this one Chipper:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46375&highlight=trimming

The_Kapn
01-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I usually buy a couple of cases spare ribs at a time. That way I can trim and sort them at home. The best ribs are saved for contests and the others are used for practice. Pre-trimming and sorting in advance eliminates the suspense/surprise when opening the cyrovacs at a contest. After trimming all the ribs are vacuum sealed and labelled.

We pretrimmed some chicken a couple of years ago for a FBA contest and were questioned about the "heritage" of it. I had not saved any of the labels or receipts. With a lot of whining and pleading on my part, and our reptutation for being honest, it worked out in our favor. But, a close call and it got my attention.

So now I cut the price tag area off of the origonal packing for ribs and chicken, place them inside the cyrovac facing out, and that seems to answer the question.

I am a convert to pre-trimming for all the reasons listed by the Brothers above.

TIM

smoke-n-my-i's
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
When we first started, we didn't realize, understand, that we could prep or trim the meat ahead of time. I do now on Thursday evenings for the chicken and ribs, and some times the brisket. Then vacuum seal, and toss in the coolers, pack down with ice, and load on the trailer. Saves a lot of work after setting up.

The ice machine sure makes in nice. I fire it up when I get home on Thursday, let it run and fill coolers..... :biggrin: :eusa_clap :-D Toss in the meat, and let it keep on running.... don't forget to turn it off when the coolers run over though....

Alexa RnQ
01-13-2009, 05:24 PM
ice machine
OMG I WANT ONE!!! http://www.divaherself.com/funny/hearteyes.gif

Meat Burner
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
If you take the skin off, how is the best way to scrape the nasty fatty stuff off the skin. Tried to scrape with a knife and doesn't seem to be the best way. Just a question to throw out. Thanks. Also, I wasn't aware you could pretrim. I will bring that up to the folk at a couple of our local KCBS events. Thanks!

Jeff_in_KC
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
If you take the skin off, how is the best way to scrape the nasty fatty stuff off the skin. Tried to scrape with a knife and doesn't seem to be the best way. Just a question to throw out. Thanks. Also, I wasn't aware you could pretrim. I will bring that up to the folk at a couple of our local KCBS events. Thanks!

A VERY sharp paring knife! And if you have some tougher fatty stuff, I start off with a serrated edge paring knife to losen it then finish with the sharp paring knife. Once it's see-through like a lady's silky nighties, it's good to go! :lol:

Meat Burner
01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Jeff. I know you do well in the chicken categories. I especially like the vision of the see-through nighty. Since I am a real visual person....that worked for me. Thanks.

JD McGee
01-13-2009, 07:21 PM
The only meats I pre-trim are my ribs and chicken. I usually do them the night before and transport them in a cooler wrapped with saran wrap (ribs) or 1 gallon ziplocks (chicken). It saves me a lot of time that I can spend shiggin' Swamprb's pits! :twisted:

Meat Burner
01-13-2009, 07:28 PM
My wife and I were discussing this tonight. Here, it may be the health department requiremnt in out county that prohibits pretrimming. Not sure, but I think here, the meat has to be in the original packaging. Will check it out. Thanks everyone.

Chipper
01-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Try this one Chipper:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46375&highlight=trimming

Huge help, thanks!

Big George's BBQ
01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I suggested this last year to my team and they did not want to do it. I think this year I will try the idea again and push for it more.

Juggy D Beerman
01-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Nobody mentioned one of the most important advantage of pretrimming contest meat at home. Anyone ever open up a factory sealed package of chicken, ribs, pork butt or brisket at the contest site to discover the meat had spoiled?

This spoiling problem seems to be more common with chicken, but I have had the same problem with briskets that I have wet-aged. Chicken isn't that hard to find in the stores at the last minute, but briskets can be hard to locate at the last minute in some of the towns I have cooked in. Same goes for larger pork butts and decent ribs as well.

Lager,

Juggy

gordo
01-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Sometimes I trim at home...all depends on what the weather is
like out at the contest...

Normally I trim and season right after meat inspection,
while downing a couple of beers..!

Scottie
01-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Nobody mentioned one of the most important advantage of pretrimming contest meat at home. Anyone ever open up a factory sealed package of chicken, ribs, pork butt or brisket at the contest site to discover the meat had spoiled?

This spoiling problem seems to be more common with chicken, but I have had the same problem with briskets that I have wet-aged. Chicken isn't that hard to find in the stores at the last minute, but briskets can be hard to locate at the last minute in some of the towns I have cooked in. Same goes for larger pork butts and decent ribs as well.

Lager,

Juggy

That's one of the main reasons why I like to trim at home. If my meat is bad, I would rather know about it before I back up the RV and go to a contest. As some of these contests are out in the sticks...

Juggy D Beerman
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Yo Scottie, One time at the Laurie (MO) contest, I had to drive over 30 miles to the nearest "big" city to find a brisket to replace the one that was bad. If I had been an hour later making that brisket run, I would have SOL as all the grocery stores would have been closed.

Speaking of the Laurie contest, I found some old photographs from there. One of them is a picture of some blond headed guy from Chicago with a Jed Master rig with a Weber Kettle mounted on the front. Any guess to who this guy is?

Lager,

Juggy

Scottie
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
That was his first love... Did he have a goatee? Ir should I say... How long was the goatee... :roll:

Jorge
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
I've seen similar pictures, he was so svelte!

Juggy D Beerman
01-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Scottie, That picture is dated August of '98. The goat was just a kid. And I am referring to the facial hair, not the person in question.........

Lager,

Juggy

RixCue
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
The more I think about it the better this idea sounds. It would sure take off some stress at an event.

Rick

Divemaster
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
I've been doing my chicken ahead but never the other meats... The more I think of it, the more I like it!

scottyd
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I like to trim my meats at the comp site, I mean what the hell else is there to do anyway. I roll in with my trailer my setup time is like nothing so no time wasted there so I have nothing but time. I can only talk so much, if I am drinking I get tanked and can't do anything, so I would rather trim and prep my meat. keeps me focused and eye on the ball. Then it is time to bother the other teams. Look out because now its the time when most of the guys have been talking and not gettng anything done and there crabby and say I gotta get things done come back later. blah blah blah go figure.

Jorge
01-20-2009, 04:11 PM
..... I can only talk so much, .....

I'm confident you'll get over that shyness one of these days:wink::icon_cool:mrgreen:

Finney
01-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I've started doing ribs at home in advance. Seems that when I trim at comps I bag up all the trimmings to save but end up throwing them away by the end of the weekend. When I do it at home they go into the freezer for use later in beans or something.

Big Ugly's BBQ
01-21-2009, 06:53 AM
We did both last year, now I have a freezer full of rib trim. They do come in handy, when needed. I think we might do the same this year, depending on how far we have to travel, and how much help I have there.

Brew-B-Q
01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Last year (our first) I would always trim chicken, sometimes trim the rest. I did have all of the meat trimmed for one contest, and that made things much easier. But I also drank too much that event, so sometimes it can be good to be busier. That said, I am planning to trim all meats in advance as much as possible.

scottyd
01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm confident you'll get over that shyness one of these days:wink::icon_cool:mrgreen:

Ya I would gather your kind of right, but all that talking makes me thirsty. then that leads to more drinking and banter and so on. :lol: