PDA

View Full Version : Design Advice

Crüe-B-Cüe
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I am no fabricator by any means, but I am about ready to tackle my first build other than a UDS. I have two brand spanking new air tanks that we have stripped the pumps and motors off of. I an 80 gallon tanks that is roughly 20" x 64". I also have a 30 gallon that is about 18" x 40". This will be a patio smoker, so it has to look descent to keep the wife happy. (she hates the UDS...Thinks it a "farkin ugly arse garbage can sitting on our patio")

I have a few ideas in mind. One is to just build a fire box and make the basic offset using only the 80 gal. The other is to use the 30 gallon as the fire box and bring it in the back of the 80 gal. kind of like the Diamond Plate smokers. Although, I may want it a little further underneath to take up less space. If I put it on the end, I can go reverse flow. I'm just kinda confused on what the best way to go is and be compact enough for the patio.

Harbormaster
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
The other is to use the 30 gallon as the fire box and bring it in the back of the 80 gal. kind of like the Diamond Plate smokers.
Based on the sizes described, this was the first design that popped into my head.
Looking at the dimensions again though, you could use the smaller tank to make a 18" x 24" firebox for the larger tank and make a reverse flow offset. I thought 20" was kind small, then remembered my 2 offsets are only 16".

Crüe-B-Cüe
01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I wish I had the 120 gallon tank. It is 24" x 67"

Fastball
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I'd go diamond plate version.

At Prairrie BBQ association website (builders site). There is a guy there by the name of DarrellB that has build a backyard version of the DP.....it's a sweet looking cooker. I'd suggest taking a look at that before you make a decision. I've kind of been lusting after a cooker like that for the patio area.