PDA

View Full Version : Fab B first experience

TexasGuppie
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I put on three 14 lb packers injected with Fab B at 5pm on 1/2/2009 expecting them to be finished at somewhere between 15-20 hours from that point. Pit temp was 250 at the time I loaded them and was maintained at 225-250 degrees.

These bad boys were DONE in 8 hours! Internal temp on two of them at 8 hours was 190 and the third a whopping 210 degrees internal!

This has NEVER happened to me with a brisket that WASN'T injected. Could the Fab B have anything to do with how quickly these were finished?

I coolered them from 1am until 3pm on 1/3/2009 at which time I set up service for 70 hungry bikers who had been partying all night and smelling the food. I was nervous when I cut into the still VERY hot briskets and was relieved to find them very juicy and tender as could be.

Needless to say, I'm puzzled. I'm not sure if I'll use Fab B again as I didn't detect any noticable difference in taste and the quickness with which they were done confused a simple mind like mine.

-Gup

tony76248
01-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't serve FAB B to customers. Comp only. That said, I have been using Butchers.

I did not notice much difference as far as cook times went when I used either Butchers or FAB. I'll follow this thread and see what other folks have found.

Bigmista
01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Brisket at 250 takes you 15 hours? Really?

TexasGuppie
01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Brisket at 250 takes you 15 hours? Really?

I don't have multiple fancy rigs like all you "Lifestyles of the BBQ Rich & Famous" so when I cook I have several different items on my pit that come off at different times, need to be basted and so on, so the doors get opened a lot thus it takes a little longer and YES, my 20-hour briskets taste delicious and are worth every minute spent nest to my hungry firebox.

Those California briskets must be "collagen-free" allowing you to cook 'em faster or maybe you BOIL 'em first. :lol: I buy briskets raised in Texas; tougher than a Father's love raw but after 20 hours of nurturing they are as tender as the heart of your Grandma. :razz:

Now...instead of blasting my cooking times maybe you could answer the question. :cry:

Bentley
01-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I only cooked with Fab B about 3 times. Did not notice that the meat cooked any faster.

It basicly cut your time in half, well you know what to do if you are ever pressed for time on a brisket!

jgh1204
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I cook Texas briskets and I have used Fab B and I don't remember it changing my cooking times that much.

I did cook a 14# brisket on my UDS the other day and at 270 it only took about 6 hours.

I just think that briskets are fickle, some cook faster than others. Some are more tender, etc.

Smokin Mike
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't have multiple fancy rigs like all you "Lifestyles of the BBQ Rich & Famous" so when I cook I have several different items on my pit that come off at different times, need to be basted and so on, so the doors get opened a lot thus it takes a little longer and YES, my 20-hour briskets taste delicious and are worth every minute spent nest to my hungry firebox.

Those California briskets must be "collagen-free" allowing you to cook 'em faster or maybe you BOIL 'em first. :lol: I buy briskets raised in Texas; tougher than a Father's love raw but after 20 hours of nurturing they are as tender as the heart of your Grandma. :razz:

Now...instead of blasting my cooking times maybe you could answer the question. :cry:

nice , if it was me, I would a really fast editing job

Bigmista
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Not blasting. Just never had a 20 hour brisket before. And I started out on a leaky chargriller with no firebox.

Bigmista
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
BTW...I never used Fab B. Only Butchers.

The Pickled Pig
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I use Fab a lot and it does not affect cooking times.

Smokin Mike
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
I use butcher's injection, I really do not care for the taste, and don't inject for home use, but will in comps!

Bossmanbbq
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I use butcher's injection, I really do not care for the taste, and don't inject for home use, but will in comps!

Just trying to understand this, I have seen alot of people post that they don't like the taste of either butchers or Fab, but use it to make their brisket more moist. Could you accomplish this with a regular marinade?

I don't know if I woud serve somthing to someone if I myself didn't enjoy the taste of it, and wouldn't take the chance with judges if I didn't like the taste for sure!

Can anyone explain this to me? I've never tried either of these products, and after reading all the negative on both, don't know if I'm willing to try them..

yelonutz
01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Bossman, keep in mind that the judges only take one small bite. You need to hook them with that. They don't sit down and eat a whole bunch, enough that the taste would overwhelm them.

NUTZ

Meat Burner
01-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Bossman, sounds like a really good question to me.

jestridge
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
If you guys would use only hickory wouldnt have all those taste problems only thing worse than bbq briquettes (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-44,GGLJ:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=bbq+briquettes&spell=1) is using lighter fluid on them

Bentley
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Just trying to understand this, I have seen alot of people post that they don't like the taste of either butchers or Fab, but use it to make their brisket more moist. Could you accomplish this with a regular marinade?

I don't know if I woud serve somthing to someone if I myself didn't enjoy the taste of it, and wouldn't take the chance with judges if I didn't like the taste for sure!

Can anyone explain this to me? I've never tried either of these products, and after reading all the negative on both, don't know if I'm willing to try them..

I guess you want the people who say they dont like the taste of it to answer. I like Butchers, thats why I use it. I did not like the flavor that Fab imparted to my brisket, thats why I stopped using it.

I, like you, do not understand why someone would use it in a comp. but not for personal use...

kickassbbq
01-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Buy good meat, use a good rub and learn how to use your cooker.

You don't need no stinking flavor enhancer chemicals!!!!!

Makes me RUN to the John after eating something with that crap on it!!!!

Jacked UP BBQ
01-06-2009, 09:22 AM
It's all about the MSG baby!

YankeeBBQ
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Sure we turn stuff into the judges all the time that we don't really care for the taste. It's all about what the judges like not what we like.

Fastball
01-06-2009, 09:57 AM
None of this makes sense to me. Of course, I don't do comps, as I don't understand that either.

Every once in a while, I'll use a different rub, but 80 percent of the time I use Montreal on brisket. Never used FAB or Butchers, and if they're using MSG, then I'll stay away from them.

As for cook times on Brisket, it depends on the brisket. I always allocate 18 hours at least. I've had them take every bit of it, and I've had them be ready after around 10. It's BBQ, so it's done when it's done. That's my philosophy.

kickassbbq
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Never had ANY Packer Brisket take over 6 hours!!!!!!! Most are done in 5 1/2 hours.
They come out Perfecto every time. Got a 1st Place Trophy to prove it!!!
PARTY on down all you BBQ Dawgs out there in 2009.

But, you are right about "Hey, it's done when it's done." All depends on the temp of your smoker!!! Now that ain't no rocket science in my neck 'O the woods.

Fastball
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Never had ANY Packer Brisket take over 6 hours!!!!!!! Most are done in 5 1/2 hours.
They come out Perfecto every time. Got a 1st Place Trophy to prove it!!!
PARTY on down all you BBQ Dawgs out there in 2009.

But, you are right about "Hey, it's done when it's done." All depends on the temp of your smoker!!! Now that ain't no rocket science in my neck 'O the woods.

You must cook at a higher temp than me. I try to keep at a steady 225.

michiana mark
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I've never had an injected brisket take less time then a none injected brisket. I've had small 8 lb briskets cook longer than 14 lb brisket. Select cook longer than choice and vice versa. From one cooker to the next, difference in time. UDS with a deflector cooks different than without the deflector. All in all. It's done when it's done.

Side note: Brisket from California comes from "happy" cows, well at least California cheese does.:-D

kickassbbq
01-06-2009, 11:31 AM
You must cook at a higher temp than me. I try to keep at a steady 225.

I go with the Fast Track Method and do them at 375 and get it over with. I think it is a much better product and it gives me more time to drink Whiskey and NOT watch the cooker.

Ain't no right or wrong way to smoke meat!!! To each his own. That's what's fun about BBQ!!!!!

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TexasGuppie
01-06-2009, 11:47 AM
nice , if it was me, I would a really fast editing job

I am certain that BigMista knows I'm just funnin' with him. He doesn't strike me as the "sensitive type."

And if he is, accept my sincerest apology.

-Guppie

The Pickled Pig
01-06-2009, 11:57 AM

I don't know about Butchers but others here should be able to address it. But for Fab, the magic is in the sodium phosphates as they help the meat retain moisture. Fab and Fab like products are often used in commercial applications when meat is being sold by weight because the moisture retention increases the weight of the meat.

Making your own injection marinade will not achieve Fab like results unless you use something loaded with the sodium phosphates. And I'm only aware of a handful of products with Fab like qualities.

I like the taste of Fab and use all of the time in pork and brisket. I use at home and for catering gigs. I've never experienced complaints about the taste or had people tell me they've got sick after eating food prepped with Fab. But that's just me.

For contests, I scale the use of Fab back and dilute it more. There are too many Fab haters out there who score down if they can taste Fab and I'd rather not risk getting one at the table judging my food.

jgh1204
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I like the Rain Forest version for that clean smelling brisket! http://shop.cleaning.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/PBC04994.JPG

TexasGuppie
01-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I like the Rain Forest version for that clean smelling brisket! http://shop.cleaning.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/PBC04994.JPG

Now that's funny. :lol:

jestridge
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I go with the Fast Track Method and do them at 375 and get it over with. I think it is a much better product and it gives me more time to drink Whiskey and NOT watch the cooker.

Ain't no right or wrong way to smoke meat!!! To each his own. That's what's fun about BBQ!!!!!

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen to that cook it your way I have cook on different temp cant tell much difference My brisket usually get done around 7 hr

Meat Burner
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Done the fast cook on butts that were fantastic. May try the fast cook brisket this weekend to see. My UDS struggles at those temps but I can get close. Love good brisket so willing to try any good technique. Low and slow has been real good so interested in trying a fast cook.

White Dog BBQ
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I tried fast cook on brisket, meat definitely was moist, but the color and flavor seemed to be lacking. It was on my BGE. No injection, just Meadow Creek Brisket Rub.

Meat Burner
01-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Really! Guess all those other flavors are worthless. You think?
I"m in a pissy mood. Big time sinus, ear, and brock infection so going to bed. Don't pay any attention the last two day posts. LOL

BRBBQ
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm with Kickassbbq fast cook, I've been using his methods, comes out great.