PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 must have BBQ cook books?

keend
01-02-2009, 08:21 AM
What are your top two BBQ cook books you could not do without when you first starting learning Q?

I have a nephew that loves to cook with me when he is in town (not often enough). I wanted to get him a couple books to get him started.

I was thinking Smoke and Spice by Jamison and Barbecuing & Sausage-Making Secrets by Knote.

Dale P
01-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I can name the book that has recipes that I use the most by far is Dr BBQs Big-Time BBQ. Everything I have tried from that book has been really good.
Kudos Doc.

EatonHoggBBQ
01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Two books I use the most are,

The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual by Smoky Hale

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue by Paul Kirk

WannaBeBBQueen
01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Yes Dr. BBQ's books are excellent, I use them all the time. Unfortunately in the beginning we used Steven Raichlen's book, Barbecue! Bible™ Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters & Glazes. That gave us a good understanding of spices and how to use them.

Sledneck
01-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes Dr. BBQ's books are excellent, I use them all the time. Unfortunately in the beginning we used Steven Raichlen's book, Barbecue! Bible™ Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters & Glazes. That gave us a good understanding of spices and how to use them.I do no see it having any of stevens books as unfortunate. It is where I got my start and the reason I am here. I still refer to them on a regular basis to get ideas

ipls3355
01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
no books here, just signed up for the Brethren. Found everything I ever needed.

Desert Dweller
01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Steven Raichlen's book, Barbecue! Bible™ Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters & Glazes. That gave us a good understanding of spices and how to use them.

This one sounds like one I could use.

Other than that, although I do have a couple or three books, I have to agree with ipls3355.

no books here, just signed up for the Brethren. Found everything I ever needed.

farklf
01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Im like all of my boods. Weber's art of cooking with live fire.
love, peace and bbq
texas bbq legends

Mostly, I like looking at the old timers eating and cooking.

bigabyte
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
For starting out and getting lots of sample recipes, I would suggest either Paul Kirks Championship BBQ and one of Dr. BBQ's books for the BBQ book, and for sausage go with Rytek Kutas Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing.

JD McGee
01-02-2009, 10:22 AM
"Smoke & Spice" and Dr. BBQ's "Big-Time Barbeque Cookbook" are my two favorites...:-P

White Dog BBQ
01-02-2009, 10:36 AM
My favorite BBQ book is Peace, Love & BBQ by Mike Mills. As a cookbook, it's average at best, but I don't think another book captures the essence of BBQ like Mike's book. Even after a few years and several readings, I still enjoy reading the stories and learning about the various characters in BBQ.

For pure cooking purposes, Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ is excellent. I also have a lot of respect for Raichlen's book. Even though it isn't a BBQ book per se, I believe "How to Grill" by Raichlen is required reading for anyone interested in live fire cooking.

BBQ Bandit
01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
My first four books:
Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque
Paul Kirk's Championship Barbwque Sauces.
Steve Raichland's BBQ USA and
500 BBQ Dishes by Paul Kirk

(so far... then there are a few books by a guy named Bobby Flay.)

roastntoast
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Paul Kirk & the Good DR.BBQ

Jules

CB
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I have more than 100 cookbooks - my favorite kitchen cookbook is out of print: Pierre Franey - Cuisine Rapide. One of the best cookbooks on outdoor cooking is by Mike Stines - Mastering Barbecue. Another all purpose cookbook is The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook by Sharon Kramis. And, of course, ahem - my own "Everybody Grills" (http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/product_detail_e.aspx?ProductID=2317&CategoryID=66)

Bossmanbbq
01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I have a few favorites, but the one's I refer to most often are: Legends of Texas BBQ I have so many pages dog-eared in this book its insane, and then my second one would be Smoke and Spice. Ive collected alot of Q books over the years and have built up a pretty good collection but these two are my favorites

The Anchorman
01-02-2009, 12:30 PM
This is the book that I got started on, I still have it all stained and dog eared, http://www.amazon.com/Thrill-Grill-Techniques-Down-Home-Barbecue/dp/0688088325

not much at all in here about Que, but how to smoke other meats and working with sausage and bacon and everything else Pig it can't be beat. http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298/ref=pd_sim_b_28

Double D's BBQ
01-02-2009, 12:36 PM
I love the Legends of Texas BBQ book as well. My favorite BBQ books aren't necessarily cookbooks but its always nice when there are recipes and techniques. My favorites tend to be books that go into depth on the history or tradition of barbecue and talk about the people and joints and even some contests thrown in. My favorite books along those lines are:

1. Peace Love and Barbecue, Mike Mills
2. Legends of Texas BBQ Rob Walsh
3. Barbecue USA Steve Raichlen
4. Holy Smoke:The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue John Shelton Reed

Chipper
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Paul Kirk's- Championship BBQ, and the good Dr. BBQ's first one.

keend
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

I also like the books that have stories about the roots of Q and the science behind low and slow.

Looks like I will be adding a couple books to my library while I am at it.

Brian in Maine
01-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Peace Love and Barbecue, and Dr. BBQ's books are the ones that I have read over, and over.

ormerod
01-03-2009, 04:20 PM
There can be only one...Dr. BBQ's "Big-Time Barbeque Cookbook"

Azinine
01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I have no BBQ cookbooks. :) The internet is a beautiful thing...