PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib Advice; Needed

Midnight Smoke
12-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Only done one and got it from the local butcher, Choice Bone In and tied. It was around $12.00 a pound. It was very good.

The local Albertsons has Choice for $3.77 Bone in and a little more for boneless.

What is the best to buy, Boneless or go with the Bone In and have the butcher trim and tie the bone back on, like the 1st one I did?

That is where I get lost, why would you buy a Bone In?:confused:

Also, read somewhere, here I think about getting the certain Rib cut, any help here?

Having some very important people :wink::rolleyes::wink: over for a Sunday Q' ... Sons wife, Dad and Mom.:rolleyes:

cmcadams
12-27-2008, 12:05 AM
The theory is that the bone adds some flavor. I do boned and tied.

The loin/small end (away from shoulder) is best to get.

Moose
12-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I'd recommend bone-in - more flavor. You'll have to cook it a tad longer, but it's worth it, esp. when you start getting to the meat close to the bone. Good stuff!

MAB52
12-27-2008, 12:50 AM
What they said!

Jaberwabee
12-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Bone in and tied, means more flavor and also a heat buffer if you are on a UDS or have a hot spot on you smoker. I would opt for the bone in. If you have a hot spot or something abnormal, and it flairs, it burns the ribs not your prime. There is no negative to have the ribs, if the whole thing is cooked perfect, then the ribs are a great cook's treat.

Now as for what end, the loin (small end) looks better, but I think the larger end has better flavor. The thing about the larger end, is you have to cook slower, because the outside lip cooks faster.