PDA

View Full Version : New Cold Smoker in Progress

dodgeramsst2003
12-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Well I started my cold smoker today! Had to return a non-functioning kero heater to lowes, and they didn't have another one so I picked up the Propane model since I have a 100lb tank sitting here anyways. I had store credit left over so I figured I might as well use it to buy the wood for this project. I got the two sides and back cut and assembled today. I'll hopefully get them attached to each other tomorrow during the cook. This is one side panel, more updates to come.

Chris

KuyasKitchen
12-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Please keep us posted. I really want to build a smokehouse this year.

JP
12-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Bass Ale.....Drooool

boatnut
12-25-2008, 10:52 AM
yeah keep pics coming....and great choice on the ale!

dodgeramsst2003
12-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Made some more progress on my cold smoker the other day. Everything is assembled now and all I have to do is attach the roof and door. I've included a couple more pics to prove everything really happened. Sorry for the lousy quality but I took them in my garage with my phone. I'll get better completed pics when I move it outside. I'm going to use an old turkey fryer for the heat for now, and I'll build a side firebox once I get the materials rounded up.

garyk1398
12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
lookin good :eusa_clap but I'd recommend opening the garage doo before you start using it!:roll:

outside ed
12-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Looks great to me.

BarberQue
12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, please keep the pictures coming, I haven't seen a real working smokehouse since I was a kid growin up in West Tennessee. I have thought about a small version myself.
Lots of good memories around smokehouses when I was growing up. In the late fall everyone used to pitch in and help each other slaughter there hogs, make lard and chitlin's and smoke hams and such.
How far is the fire box from the smokehouse supposed to be? Lookin good so far!!

dodgeramsst2003
12-30-2008, 11:20 AM
I haven't determined how far to put the firebox from the smokehouse yet. Its cold enough now that I can use the turkey fryer in the bottom of it. I'm thinking on making the firebox out of a 55 gal drum as I have essentially an unlimited supply of them. I'm guessing the firebox will be 3-4 ft from the smokehouse. I just need to find some suitable chimney material as everything I've found is galvanized. I just got back from the hardware store and picked up my hinges, a handle and latch for the door. Hopefully I'll be seasoning it soon.

Bbq Bubba
12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm stealing this from Cowgirl's blog site but it's what your lookin for!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/cowgirlone/001.jpg

Galvanized pipe is fine as all your doing is transferring the smoke.

Good luck, maybe a road trip to break it in? :cool:

BarberQue
12-30-2008, 11:27 AM
I haven't determined how far to put the firebox from the smokehouse yet. Its cold enough now that I can use the turkey fryer in the bottom of it. I'm thinking on making the firebox out of a 55 gal drum as I have essentially an unlimited supply of them. I'm guessing the firebox will be 3-4 ft from the smokehouse. I just need to find some suitable chimney material as everything I've found is galvanized. I just got back from the hardware store and picked up my hinges, a handle and latch for the door. Hopefully I'll be seasoning it soon.
Where might I ask can I get a couple of drums? I see your really close and would like to grab a couple. I had a line on a couple of them on CL but for some reason a lot of people just don't follow up on there attempt of getting rid of what they post and don't reply for weeks if they do at all.

dodgeramsst2003
12-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Is that a baby UDS that cowgirl is using? I can make one of them pretty easily.

BarberQue, PM me and we'll set something up for the drums. It might take me a couple of weeks as I can only fit two in the back of my dakota at once, and I have a couple promised already. All of them had gas, oil, or coolant in them at one time so to protect myself and others I'd prefer to make the first cut into them myself.

Update, the door and roof are installed, handle is on, and everything is only a little out of square. :icon_shock1: I'm just going to leave it, adds character. Now if I can just bring myself to let the heat out of the garage long enough to get it out the big door I'll be all set. Propane is expensive!

CROSSCZEK
12-30-2008, 12:43 PM
I see a road trip in my future.
I'll bring the Bass this time.

Looking great, Chris. Keep up the good work!

KuyasKitchen
12-30-2008, 01:26 PM
THanks for the posts!

dodgeramsst2003
12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Well Everyone, its outside setup with the propane burner inside. I Already see mods in the future. It doesn't have a stack on it right now as it really doesn't need one, but will for a side firebox. I let it burn for about 30-45 minutes, and the wood chunks caught fire. I have some running to do today, so I shut it down because I don't want to leave it unattended until I know how it runs by itself. I've attached better pics this time. Look for more updates in the near future as I get time to make a firebox for it. I also have a metal cart that I'm thinking about attaching it to so I can move the whole thing around.

CROSSCZEK
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
...It's missing something.....
Oh, ya....It needs a crescent moon on the door.

Kevin
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Regarding the vent/smoke transfer pipe, you should be able to find aluminum dryer vent at lowes. It's only 3 or 4 inch diameter though.

Dr_KY
12-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I wouls put a big tray on the botton to catch any dripping.

dodgeramsst2003
12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Scott, Its gonna get the moon in the door, don't you worry. I'm just trying to find a picture of one big enough to make a stencil out of.

Kevin, Thanks for the dryer vent idea. It didn't dawn on me that dryer vent was aluminum. I guess I just pictured it as all galvanized which I'm told is ok in this application. 3-4 inch would work perfect for transfer from the firebox to smokebox, and also for the stack as there enough gaps to created a little stronger draw on the smokebox side.

Dr KY, I plan on adding a drip tray in it before cooking in it. I plan to make some snack sticks in it for the first cook, but have some unanswered questions about that before I start it, but that's for another thread.

Everyone thanks for commenting and suggesting. There's lots of plans, pictures, drawings for these things out there. If you want any of the dimensions off mine just let me know and I'll send them to you. I hope the firebox will be done by the end of the weekend, but we'll see how everything goes. Ideally I would like to have the snack sticks out of it by the end of the weekend, but somehow I don't see that happening.

BruceB
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Is that a baby UDS that cowgirl is using? I can make one of them pretty easily.

BarberQue, PM me and we'll set something up for the drums. It might take me a couple of weeks as I can only fit two in the back of my dakota at once, and I have a couple promised already. All of them had gas, oil, or coolant in them at one time so to protect myself and others I'd prefer to make the first cut into them myself.

Update, the door and roof are installed, handle is on, and everything is only a little out of square. :icon_shock1: I'm just going to leave it, adds character. Now if I can just bring myself to let the heat out of the garage long enough to get it out the big door I'll be all set. Propane is expensive!

Here's a link top a company in Detroit that sells new and reconditioned drums. New are $60; reconditioned are $25; open head, unlined.

http://maxicontainer.com/

Bbq Bubba
12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Here's a link top a company in Detroit that sells new and reconditioned drums. New are $60; reconditioned are $25; open head, unlined.

http://maxicontainer.com/

Great link Bruce, but let's just say he officially "knows a guy" now. :cool:

cowgirl
12-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Chris, that's a fine looking smokehouse!!

Here's a link to a pic of mine....http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53606

My firebox is just about like a mini UDS. The air intake is the same.

Here's a link to pics of how I built it....http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html

Your smokehouse looks great!!:cool:

smokindorf
12-31-2008, 07:18 AM
That's really cool:cool:, looks good!

MTHank
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Ya better post a guard out side just in case someone desperate and in a hurry see's your "half moon" and uses it for such :eek:! Looks good thought, I should give one of them a try... Outside temps here have been runing from -21 deg. F to +10 deg. F. give a whole new meaning to "COLD" Smokin :shock:. Let us know how she works...

dodgeramsst2003
12-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the reply's. I have it running again with some apple in the can. I'm just trying to get rid of the pine smell at this point. Its getting there right now its a cross between mesquite and pine. Hopefully by the end of today I'll be able to think about actually cooking something in it.

tommykendall
12-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Well Everyone, its outside setup with the propane burner inside. I Already see mods in the future. It doesn't have a stack on it right now as it really doesn't need one, but will for a side firebox. I let it burn for about 30-45 minutes, and the wood chunks caught fire. I have some running to do today, so I shut it down because I don't want to leave it unattended until I know how it runs by itself. I've attached better pics this time. Look for more updates in the near future as I get time to make a firebox for it. I also have a metal cart that I'm thinking about attaching it to so I can move the whole thing around.

That's really nice but why waste a perfectly good chitter? :wink: