PDA

View Full Version : Standing rib

cheez59
12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I am going to cook a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner. I think I have it down how I will cook it. It will be my first but I have been reading how y'all cook them on here. I bought the roast this morning. Four rib about 9-1/2 pounds. What do you guys recommend that I do with the roast between now and Christmas day?

NeoTrout
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
You could try dry aging it if you have the fridge space. I have done it a few times. Works great but you will lose some poundage due to water loss and trimming. Check this out. http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast3.html:icon_cool

smokinvic
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM
What NeoTrout said! Dry age and bring out more flavor. Good Luck!

Eric K
12-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Cheez,
I happened to do one a few weeks ago (my wife bought it thinking it was a pot roast cut and was ready to put it in the crock pot before I intervened!!). I pretty much followed the weber bullet recipe (see other post). I used the Montreal steak seasoning, with some apple wood, and on the WSM (no water in the pan) at about 310 for about 1.5 hrs. It was killer! I was ready to give up briskets and just keep doing those. Never tried dry aging. Enjoy!

cmcadams
12-18-2008, 02:23 PM
You should send it to me for "safe" keeping!

cheez59
12-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I think I will give the dry aging a shot. I did a lot of dry aging venison when I was processing them. Made a huge difference.

What about rubs? Does anybody have a prefference for the rib?

BigAl
12-18-2008, 07:55 PM
You should send it to me for "safe" keeping!

Chit, that is was I was going to say:!::mad:

Ron_L
12-18-2008, 10:07 PM
What about rubs? Does anybody have a prefference for the rib?

Montreal Steak Seasoning or EVOO, Garlic and fresh rosemary.

cheez59
12-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Montreal Steak Seasoning or EVOO, Garlic and fresh rosemary.

Sounds pretty good. Thanks

Black Cat BBQ
12-19-2008, 07:54 AM
I am going to attempt my first rib roast for Christmas as well...which rub are you going to use? The garlic and rosemary sounds really good, the recipe on the virtual bullet with all fresh ingredients sounds like a winner as well. Are you going to rub it the night before? I dont want the rub to be overwhelming. I've tried Montreal on brisket but that is it.

cheez59
12-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I am going to attempt my first rib roast for Christmas as well...which rub are you going to use? The garlic and rosemary sounds really good, the recipe on the virtual bullet with all fresh ingredients sounds like a winner as well. Are you going to rub it the night before? I dont want the rub to be overwhelming. I've tried Montreal on brisket but that is it.

Not sure just yet what I will rub it with. I ordered some Bovine Bold and if it comes in in time I may try that. If not I'll go with kosher salt cracked pepper and garlic (on hand). I will rub it the night before no matter what I use.

Barbarian
12-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Gonna give a prime rib a try to Xmas also. After reading this thread and others, I think I will put it in the fridge to dry age on Monday morning. So before that I will slather with mustard and rub with Montreal, 4 star pepper blend and rosemary.

Ron_L
12-19-2008, 12:29 PM

I alternate between using EVOO, garlic and rosemary and just using Montreal Steak Seasoning. Both come out very good. I don't rub the night before. I rub when I take the roast out of the fridge to come up to room temp, so maybe an hour before cooking. The only objection I have received to the Montreal is the size of the bits, so if that picky person is coming over I will use a spice grinder to grind the Montreal into a finer powder (not too fine).

Also, cut the meat away from the bones (my butcher does this without me asking) and tie the bones back on with butcher's twine. That way you can get some seasoning in between the meat and bones. I don't cut the full off, only about 3/4 of the way.

keend
12-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I
Also, cut the meat away from the bones (my butcher does this without me asking) and tie the bones back on with butcher's twine. That way you can get some seasoning in between the meat and bones. I don't cut the full off, only about 3/4 of the way.

Do you have a pic of how you cut and tie it you could share?

Black Cat BBQ
12-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Do you have a pic of how you cut and tie it you could share?

they show how to cut them away after cooking on the virtual weber bullet site. I am guessing it would be the same as that, only before? They also show how to tie it up by practicing on a towel. LOL pretty funny but useful!

Black Cat BBQ
12-20-2008, 07:00 AM
I alternate between using EVOO, garlic and rosemary and just using Montreal Steak Seasoning. Both come out very good. I don't rub the night before. I rub when I take the roast out of the fridge to come up to room temp, so maybe an hour before cooking. The only objection I have received to the Montreal is the size of the bits, so if that picky person is coming over I will use a spice grinder to grind the Montreal into a finer powder (not too fine).

Thanks Ron! I think the EVOO and rosemary sound great and that is going to be the way to go. I like the Montreal and the flavor it gives brisket, just wasnt sure about using it on Prime Rib but will give it a try one of these days. If the sale continues (4.99 lb) we may have it for New Year's as well!

gotwood
12-20-2008, 07:47 AM
"Also, cut the meat away from the bones (my butcher does this without me asking) and tie the bones back on with butcher's twine. That way you can get some seasoning in between the meat and bones. I don't cut the full off, only about 3/4 of the way."

This.....all you do is follow the bones with a good sharp carving knife.

Personally I wont even tie the bones back on...more crusty goodness.

I'll use the bones for something else...or cook em next to the roast.

Here you go.... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen/images/refimages/kitchen_advice/cook_prime_rib/tying.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--353/tying-beef.asp&usg=__csu3--XM5Xot06Ff7EZx6-TV0rs=&h=180&w=250&sz=48&hl=en&start=13&sig2=jzgapuQRI4VB6s6Bajmj4g&um=1&tbnid=NICnXRER5MtnBM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=111&ei=u_dMSaacEJrUMZXggN0P&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drib%2Broast%2Bbone%2Btied%2Bon%26um%3 D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen/images/refimages/kitchen_advice/cook_prime_rib/tying.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--353/tying-beef.asp&usg=__csu3--XM5Xot06Ff7EZx6-TV0rs=&h=180&w=250&sz=48&hl=en&start=13&sig2=jzgapuQRI4VB6s6Bajmj4g&um=1&tbnid=NICnXRER5MtnBM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=111&ei=u_dMSaacEJrUMZXggN0P&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drib%2Broast%2Bbone%2Btied%2Bon%26um%3 D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)