PDA

View Full Version : Quick Notes from the Board KCBS

Merl
12-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Quick Notes from the Board Room
December 10, 2008
Merl Whitebook Secretary, KCBS Board of Directors.

The Board acted upon complaints involving the conduct of a Contest Rep.

The Board received the proceeds from the ’08 Great American BBQ Tour in the amount of $47,0 20.00.

The Board authorized the purchase of a new truck for use by the '09 Great American BBQ Tour not to exceed $33,500.00.

The Board discussed the Rules Committee meeting which will be held on Friday January 23rd from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.

The Board changed the time for the Annual Business Meeting where all members are invited to attend, from 7:00 p.m.. on Friday January 23, 2009 at 9:30 A.M. on Friday morning.

*. These are not the official minutes of the meeting. They are simply provided as an effort to give members a quick summary of the board meeting.

This was a short meeting because many members of the board had a dinner in KC. The last items were therefore tabled Also there were only a few reports and very little action was asked for.

Elections begin January 2, 2009.

Arlin_MacRae
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks, Merl!

Gene01
12-12-2008, 05:00 PM
What good is a meeting that is at a time when most cannot attend ???? I guess the board doesn't want that input from the members?

Merl
12-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I do not understand the time change. I think the evening would be better, but my concern is if there are members who were flying or driving in who will not be able to attend. I would urge that you make that know to the Board. I think every member should have an opportunity to attend the annual general meeting which is required in the by laws.

Merl

Yakfishingfool
12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
That time change does one thing, make it more inconvenient to attend. A way to limit member participation without actually telling people to not participate. Boy there are disturbing trends going on. Scott

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
12-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Merl, how did the Tour raise that kind of revenue, when they were with us there was no revenue generators that I saw?? Just free grilled food.

LindaM
12-13-2008, 03:59 PM
The tour raised the money by sponsorships. Next year proves to be even better.

arlieque
12-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Lets see money raised against money spent and then decide who to praise!

MilitantSquatter
12-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Lets see money raised against money spent and then decide who to praise!

I'd imagine the fuel cost was not cheap but more sponsors would further help to offset that bill.

arlieque
12-13-2008, 07:33 PM
So with all the sponsors and having to push their products, just how much are they promoting KCBS? Just wondering.........

Scottie
12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I personally think that KCBS should sponsor some teams... Who else to give good promo than a BBQ team at a BBQ contest? Instead of trying to promote BBQ with a grilling team....

KC_Bobby
12-16-2008, 01:08 PM
For a second I was going to reply that duing that would cause a huge can of worms to be opened - I mean wouldn't this be like NASCAR sponsoring a car - but not the others ... then I thought about it:

For instance:
How would sponsorship teams be determined?
- I guess teams that would be willing and able to provide good representation to the public through effective dialog and demonstration from the moment the KCBS instructs them to be ready until the moment KCBS says it's OK to tear down - even during meat trim/prep and turn ins. An openmindedness and knowledge of various BBQ techiques would also be needed and possibly demonstrated.

How would the KCBS justify sponsoring a certain team at a comp instead of others?
- see above

I guess if sponsored teams realized and fulfilled their first duty at the comp - being there to teach the public - not their own results ... then I guess having the KCBS sponsor a team is not out of the question. But even just one could you hold that thought a moment, I need to complete my rib box or sorry, I need to finish injecting this pork butt before I can answer would be defeat the purpose of sponsoring a team. I mean isn't the point to welcome and educate the public to what is done in a competition?

But I don't see how a team that would actually be completing in that event's competition to be able to put the public first unless they had a specific member of the team devoted solely to that duty.

Staging a mock team (a real KCBS team that is not participating at that actual comp) at a comp would seem to be the obvious - but maybe not so practical. Set up bleachers outside their booth and have scheduled demonstration times for different parts of the process - meat prep (each catagory), smoker overviews (from stick burners, cabinets and pellet burners), turn in process, scoring, etc. But would the general public be available for these set times? I guess it would be no different then having a participating team due it - can't prep pork an hour before turn in. But still, the mock team would still be required to provide quality info outside the set demonstration times to accomodate people stopping by.