PDA

View Full Version : help with cast iron pan

butt head
12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, I was given a couple of cast iron pans and have been able to clean and use most of them. but i have a 10 in pan that no matter what i do it still has a coating of black residue on it. any ideas?

EatonHoggBBQ
12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure what kind of residue you are talking about but all of my inherited cast iron pans have about 80 years worth of crud and residue on them. They work way better than any of the cleaned ones I have.

Meat Burner
12-09-2008, 04:17 PM
John, how did you clean them?

cheez59
12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Black is good unless it is gross.If it is nasty burn it in a fire and let it cool naturally then reseason it.

butt head
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
John, how did you clean them?
I used an abrassive scouring pan and then oiled and baked. should i be using steel wool instead ?

Wallaby
12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Spray it with oven cleaner, put into a plastic trash bag and check after a day to see if it has loosened up the crud, if not leave another day then wash and season.

Mike

SoEzzy
12-09-2008, 05:37 PM
http://www.superior-cast-iron-cookware.com/cleaning_cast_iron.html

Don't use steel wool unless this is the one off time you're going to do it just to get it clean, once you've built up a good seasoning on the pan water and a soft plastic brush or scrubber is all you need to keep things clean.

I was given some family heirlooms that were rusty as get out, and did the coca cola clean on them, they are now part of the regular used collection, and they need little to no care other than making sure that food is cleaned out after it's cooked, then a little hot water and a plastic scrubber, then dried straight away and reheated on the stove top, with a little oil if it needs it.

butt head
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
thanks to all. i'm sure this will help. i will post before and after pics when finnished

billm
12-09-2008, 05:53 PM
that black residue might be the seasoning....

butt head
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
that black residue might be the seasoning....
definitly not seasoning:icon_sick

Meat Burner
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
John, sounds like you did well with the cleaning. If you didn't use any detergent, the reseasoning should come out real well. Like most said, the black may be just real fine seasoning you want to preserve as much as possible. Heat it up a couple times in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour and let cool on it's own with the oven turned off. Just make sure you have some grease, bacon would be good, each time you heat it up. You may very well have one fantastic cast iron there. Well seasoned cast iron is a real treasure to have. Keep us posted.

Meat Burner
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Ooops John, you threw that post in during my slow typing response. Why do you think it is not seasoning. Is it rusty or flakey looking? Dip a paper towel in some oil of some sort and rub the CI to see what comes off onto the paper towel.

barbefunkoramaque
12-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Here's a little film about what to do when you lose your seasoning on your skillet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Y3XBsbwI8

Seriously its the perfect way to get that non-stick seasoning you want - due to the oils I used

swamprb
12-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a Griswold 4 in 1 covered DO with handles that had years of funky buildup on it, almost like burnt on food that would flake off and was greasy after reseasoning. I finally just bead blasted it and it was a PITA, but it looks like new again.

Go to the source http://www.wag-society.org/

ricknct
12-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Go to Wagner and Griswold Society , and they will have everything you need to know.

ricknct
12-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm originaly from Erie, so I do try to collect as much griswold as I can, but any cast iron I can use I wil try to salvage .

Chuckwagonbbqco
12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Go to www.idos.org (http://www.idos.org) it is the website for the International Dutch Oven Society.
Read about the electrolysis method of cleaning cast iron. It works awesome.

smokeandbeer
12-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Put it in a self cleaning oven during the cleaning cycle. Anything that will come off will burn off in that process, and then re-season and use.

tjus77
12-10-2008, 07:01 AM
my grandmother used the method of making cornbread to season a skillet. she used to crack me up when she would come over and discover a skillet or DO with no seasoning (mom was very anal and HAD to use soap and water). We would get 3 or 4 batches of different types of cornbread, although she never put onions and cream at the same time like this guy did. still looks yummy.

Here's a little film about what to do when you lose your seasoning on your skillet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Y3XBsbwI8

Seriously its the perfect way to get that non-stick seasoning you want - due to the oils I used

billm
12-10-2008, 07:14 AM
definitly not seasoning:icon_sick
just checking..I have several cast well seasoned cast iron pans I use almost everyday and the nice black surface thats built up could very well be mistaken for residue by someone not familiar with cast iron..anyway sounds like you know what you are doing ..sorry to question ya

Smokin Turkey
12-10-2008, 07:37 AM
This year I found the best seasoning method from my butcher! He gave me a HOG tail and told me to rub it like a stick of butter in a hot cast iron piece.

Works better than most anything else I have ever done!

Mark
12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Some interesting info. Thanks. Not that I need it but great for future reference.

I just bought a new 10" cast iron dutch oven and 15" skillet from Harbor Freight on closeout. Included instructions for curing with shortning included "keep a fire extinguisher on hand." Be prepared for lots of smoke, smoke alarms going off and requisite grief form the OL.

Alternatively, use your UDS. Then use food grade parrafin or beeswax (preferrably beeswax). It builds up patina thickness more quickly.

tony76248
12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Place the cast iron pan/pot in your oven and run self clean, works like a charm and allows you to follow up with a re-seasoning. If I get mine too nasty or leave them out after camping and lazyness, this is what I have done.

Smokin Turkey
12-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Place the cast iron pan/pot in your oven and run self clean, works like a charm and allows you to follow up with a re-seasoning. If I get mine too nasty or leave them out after camping and lazyness, this is what I have done.

I would wait for spring or summer for this option as burning that stuff off inside your house will most likely make more than just an annoying smell. My even with my kitchen fan running outdoors I try to avoid running the cleaning cycle when it is too cold to open a window. Why not build a fire outside and set the pan in the fire and let it burn out in it. it will cool naturally and not break.

Just thinking of what I would do in the situation. I would just be looking for anyway to burn the thing off outdoors.

Beerwolf
12-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I usually throw mine in the fireplace and let it go. I love CI but I dont ever buy something new. Mine has all come from either hand me downs or garrage sales. It seems as if I usually ge tthe best that way