PDA

View Full Version : I boiled a brisket!

Jacked UP BBQ
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
That's right you heard me and it was damn good. OK - the real deal is I was in the mood for Ropa Vieja and the butcher had no flank so I used a brisket. It was awesome. No pics never happened - I'll beat you to it!:grin:

Spydermike72
12-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Ok, please educate me on Ropa Vieja ??

gpalasz
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I hope I dont have nightmares tonight...that poor brisky in a big pot of water:sad:...and yeah what is Ropa Vieja? Maybe you can be forginen for the boiled brisket:roll:

JD McGee
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Pics wouldn't help a boiled brisket! :twisted: Sacrilege! :eek:

Sledneck
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I hope I dont have nightmares tonight...that poor brisky in a big pot of water:sad:...and yeah what is Ropa Vieja? Maybe you can be forginen for the boiled brisket:roll:Ropa vieja is basically a cuban stew

Bacon
12-07-2008, 08:03 PM
A recipe would be delicious.

gpalasz
12-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Stew...yeah...I will have nightmares. Brisket didnt stand a chance.

jack040806
12-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm dissappointed in what you did - boiling a brisket you oughta be ashamed. But I am proud of how you played it, no pics didn't happen, how can I really be dissappointed truth is it never happened. Nice...

thirdeye
12-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, some folks do boil corned briskets, so I guess that's not too far off. I have marinated and braised my fair share of briskets.

Sledneck
12-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Here is a recipe that calls for it being cooked in a Crockpot and does not require you to boil it http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cuban-Ropa-Vieja/Detail.aspx

TN_BBQ
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I make a boiled dinner every March 17th. Good stuff.

bigabyte
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I can only assume that Ropa Vieja translates to Poor Brisket.

Good grief. I thought I was going to die when I read the thread title. I don't know why I clicked in here. I must be suicidal or something.

durfdaddy
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I can only assume that Ropa Vieja translates to Poor Brisket.

Good grief. I thought I was going to die when I read the thread title. I don't know why I clicked in here. I must be suicidal or something.

It's sort of like looking at a really bad car wreck!! You don't want to but you can't help it. The good thing.... No Pics=Ambulance blocking view of bloody body!

Sledneck
12-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I have never boiled meat but was thinking..Would steaming the meat in a pressure cooker be more acceptable than boiling it?

SaucyWench
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Translation of ropa vieja-old clothes! Yikes!

bigabyte
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I have never boiled meat but was thinking..Would steaming the meat in a pressure cooker be more acceptable than boiling it?
No, but I may make an exception for one of those new microwave steaming bags.

Meat Burner
12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Tis is a sad day.

PatioDaddio
12-07-2008, 09:57 PM
It's one thing to boil a brisket in the privacy of your own home, but it's another thing entirely to advertise that you did it. :shock: :wink:

John

BRBBQ
12-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Crock pot it next time. I work with a guy that thinks crock pots make great BBQ. Of course he thinks it's BBQ!
http://www.jardenstore.com/images/products/CrockPot/Products/3040TC-C_1_s.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:showdiv('divLargePic');)

thirdeye
12-08-2008, 07:06 AM

Yes, I know it is. I have several pressure cookers, most of the meats I use in Mexican dishes like my tamale or burrito fillings are done in a pressure cooker. I also do chicken and stew meat for soups. Of course browning it first adds a lot of flavor, but since a pressure cooker is a closed system (verses boiling) the flavors you start with are the ones you finish with. Plus the broth is incredible. The best thing is, the amount of water needed in a pressure cooker (unless you are specifically making broth) is way less than used when boiling.

I have been doing a 20 minute pressure finish on my pastrami when it comes off the pit. It reminds me of steamed deli pastrami.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%207/DSC04444g.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%207/DSC04447g.jpg

bigabyte
12-08-2008, 07:48 AM
What? No microwave steam bag support? Come one folks!

Bbq Bubba
12-08-2008, 08:34 AM
You guys need to lighten up and cut a guy a break....

Smoking is not the ONLY means of cooking good meat!

For instance, look at Larrys method of cooking ribs, and we ALL know Larry makes the best ribs! :twisted:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1659/bbqribs1oc9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

barbefunkoramaque
12-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Underneath - Arguably the greatest Pit Boss that ever lived, Walter Jetton. He did it the Original Trailhand, pre-German Czech emigrant way... simmered in Dutch Ovens with spices until done then mopped and slow grilled over a 4 foot deep pit of Oak or Hickory coals (the prep for a bed of coals often took 5 or more hours of burning.) The meat was simmered in pots while the fire got to coals THEN when all was ready, he would turn, mop, season and flip the briskets along with the Raw Ribs. Both would come off at the same time. The ribs were slow cooked over coals not seared. So roughly maybe 2-3 hours at a simmer and about 4-5 over the coals.

Jetton was a master of the Pit Style. Back when oven's, (what we use today) which caught on during the progressive food and drug purity and sanitation era after about 1905, this was considered the TRADITIONAL bbq style. The Germans always used ovens though. Of course Germans are noted for the hot and fast INDIRECT way of cooking.

Lesson... you have to be very careful what you may call - Traditional, especially when poking fun at boiling or simmering. Sure... we have developed a "better" way, but the health depts and convenience had more to do with the death of this style (open ground pits I mean) than anything.

Below Jetton, (obviously I think Orville Freeman, LBJ Ag Sect) and LBJ is the closest thing to a commercial open pit today. I will say there is an un-orthodox Brisket Prep for those briskets as well.... but you will not hear it from me. But delicious red ringed Texas Brisket none the same.

Jacked UP BBQ
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Don't knock it until you try it. It's another cooking method. I cannot believe that no one here eats stews or chili's? If you do, guess what it boiled or braised meat. Ropa Vieja is kick arse cuban food. I make sofrito and a tomato based sauce. I saute onions garlic and bell peppers until translucents. Add the tomato based sofrito. I throw in some beef stock and let the BRISKET BOILING begin. I set to a smooth simmer and what you have at the end is delicious pulled beef on a wonderful sauce. Try it, you will like it. Believe me. I also throw in cilantro, lime juice, and few other ethnic spices at the end to make it really good. For all you haters, don't eat soup either its boiled meat.

bigabyte
12-08-2008, 11:22 AM
It's OK OC! Don't get upset. I boil meat too.:wink: I also enjoy food in general, and enjoy cooking other types of food besides BBQ, including meat that is not BBQ. I get it.

Listen, on these forums I'm really here for just a few things, the people, the BBQ, the fun (this is a fun forum like it or not) and the other great food (and drink) ideas. If it wasn't for a blance of all of these, I probably wouldn't be here. Take out the BBQ and what's the point? Take out the people or the fun or the other great food and again, not such a great place.

So I try and balance myself between all these, but first and foremost this is a BBQ site and pretty much everything on here is through the eyes of Q somehow in some way, even if it is only due to the bond of the Brethren, which was formed in Smoke. This is why you will see me making silly posts, then trying to do serious posts about BBQ, then just talking with people, or discussing other food.

Now, when I saw this thread through my Q goggles, I of course had to react as any normal brethren woudl probably react when thinking of boiled brisket as discussed on a mostly Q site. I thought poking a little fun was fine. There was no pron posted, just you boasting about boiling a brisket. What kind of response were you expecting exactly? That looked delicious? Great idea?

Anyhow, this is getting too long of a response, but if I offended you, I do apologize. I don't understand why anyone shoudl feel offended, or feels the need to defend the idea of cooking meat in water at all when you take the context of this thread, which was clearly intended (at least from my perspective) to make fun of boiling a brisket with a bunch of Q folks.

Sledneck
12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Don't knock it until you try it. It's another cooking method. I cannot believe that no one here eats stews or chili's? If you do, guess what it boiled or braised meat. Ropa Vieja is kick arse cuban food. I make sofrito and a tomato based sauce. I saute onions garlic and bell peppers until translucents. Add the tomato based sofrito. I throw in some beef stock and let the BRISKET BOILING begin. I set to a smooth simmer and what you have at the end is delicious pulled beef on a wonderful sauce. Try it, you will like it. Believe me. I also throw in cilantro, lime juice, and few other ethnic spices at the end to make it really good. For all you haters, don't eat soup either its boiled meat.I make stews and soup all of the time. The meat goes in and stays in that pot though. Taking a piece of meat and boiling it seperately is something I wouldnt do becasue you lose all of those flavors and nutrients. Those are 2 different things

tommykendall
12-08-2008, 11:36 AM
That's right you heard me and it was damn good. No pics never happened - I'll beat you to it!:grin:

I'm glad you don't have pics. The sight of a boiled brisket might make me cry. :wink:

BBQchef33
12-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Don't knock it until you try it. It's another cooking method. I cannot believe that no one here eats stews or chili's? If you do, guess what it boiled or braised meat. Ropa Vieja is kick arse cuban food. I make sofrito and a tomato based sauce. I saute onions garlic and bell peppers until translucents. Add the tomato based sofrito. I throw in some beef stock and let the BRISKET BOILING begin. I set to a smooth simmer and what you have at the end is delicious pulled beef on a wonderful sauce. Try it, you will like it. Believe me. I also throw in cilantro, lime juice, and few other ethnic spices at the end to make it really good. For all you haters, don't eat soup either its boiled meat.

sorry ladies, he aint lying..

a simpler lazy mans variation...put a brisket flat, in a crock pot with a package of lipton onion soup mix, some dark beer, some onlions and carrots, a bay leaf, and a little bit of grape jelly. Its farking awesome on hot garlic bread or rice.

Winter snowstorm comfort food. :)

bigabyte
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
So you're saying boiled brisket is good for snot?

tommykendall
12-08-2008, 11:44 AM
sorry ladies, but a brisket flat, cooked in a crock pot with a package of lipton onion soup mix, some dark beer, some onlions and carrots, and a little bit of grape jelly is farking awesome on hot garlic bread or rice.

Winter snowstorm comfort food. :)

... and don't forget about the garbage :mrgreen:

Greendriver
12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm purdy sure there are a number of very successful kcbs hot and fast brisket cooks that braise and the braise is almost a boil.

Jacked UP BBQ
12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I make stews and soup all of the time. The meat goes in and stays in that pot though. Taking a piece of meat and boiling it seperately is something I wouldnt do becasue you lose all of those flavors and nutrients. Those are 2 different things

Please read how ropa vieja is made correctly, the meat is cooked with all of the ingredients in one pot as a stew is. So it is the same thing. I never added boiled meat to a sauce. I cooked the brisket in the sauce. Just keep making you soups and stews you MEAT BOILER!:eek:

Jacked UP BBQ
12-08-2008, 11:51 AM
So you're saying boiled brisket is good for snot?

You dont offend me, I know we are on here to have fun. NO sweat - you MEAT BOILER:lol:

Sledneck
12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Please read how ropa vieja is made correctly, the meat is cooked with all of the ingredients in one pot as a stew is. So it is the same thing. I never added boiled meat to a sauce. I cooked the brisket in the sauce. Just keep making you soups and stews you MEAT BOILER!:eek:
That is different. Nothing wrong with that. YOu did not post originally your application .It seemed like you just took a briket and straight out boiled it and added it to a dish. Be more specific next time:tongue: For the record I could care less even if you did boil it with water only.

bigabyte
12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
you MEAT BOILER:lol:
Dang! I knew I shouldn't have let that secret out!

Jacked UP BBQ
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
That is different. Nothing wrong with that. YOu did not post originally your application .It seemed like you just took a briket and straight out boiled it and added it to a dish. Be more specific next time:tongue: For the record I could care less even if you did boil it with water only.

Me so stupid - me try harder next time to be more specific!!!!:icon_sick:icon_shy

Big George's BBQ
12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
When is the Funeral service for the poor Brisket

Jacked UP BBQ
12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
:mrgreen:When is the Funeral service for the poor Brisket

Later when I take a chit. I will post pron!:mrgreen:

Sledneck
12-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Me so stupid - me try harder next time to be more specific!!!!:icon_sick:icon_shyyou should first try emptying you PM box, its full

tommykendall
12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
:mrgreen:

Later when I take a chit. I will post pron!:mrgreen:

LMFAO. That is hilarious.

barbefunkoramaque
12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Take pause my supercilious brethren.... ANYONE who wraps their brisket in Foil or Plastic and adds a little liquid AND who cooks it at one degree above 212 is essentially either boiling or braising their meat as well as steaming it. And anyone who does the same with a rack of ribs is too... just shallower liquid.

Hence why they call it the BBQ Crutch that there foil is.

jgh1204
12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
There are many great ways to cook brisket. I think what we all object to is people boiling the meat, slapping it on the grill and then calling it bbq. Or worse, just adding liquid smoke and calling it bbq.

JD McGee
12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
You guys need to lighten up and cut a guy a break....

Smoking is not the ONLY means of cooking good meat!

For instance, look at Larrys method of cooking ribs, and we ALL know Larry makes the best ribs! :twisted:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1659/bbqribs1oc9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

So true...so true...over on Martha Stewart's forum...not here on our BBQ forum! :twisted:

Bbq Bubba
12-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Take pause my supercilious brethren.... ANYONE who wraps their brisket in Foil or Plastic and adds a little liquid AND who cooks it at one degree above 212 is essentially either boiling or braising their meat as well as steaming it. And anyone who does the same with a rack of ribs is too... just shallower liquid.

Hence why they call it the BBQ Crutch that there foil is.

Funny.....i alway's heard it to be called the TEXAS crutch. :twisted:

Sledneck
12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Lakeside Smoker
12-08-2008, 03:29 PM

HAHAHAHAH!!!
And we all know ONLY Texans can cook real BBQ :rolleyes:

backporchbbq
12-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Boiled brisket, whats next cooking ribs in the oven and turning it in at a comp calling it Q. Man the Q gods are smokin mad. :icon_devil

But seriously I have had that Mexican dish. It is very good, I might have to try that.

barbefunkoramaque
12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey, who rattled my crazy cage? LOL

I am pretty sure I have posted a lot of stuff on here, videos and pron included, and have made a strong case for not using any foil. I don't even use foil for the hold, using paper instead.

I never brought up Yankee shortcomings in this post either. LOL Maybe cuz thar a'int nun!

Hey, here are the Nationals results...

http://bbq.htcomp.net/Current%20Yr%20Info/2008%20WINNERS%20LIST.pdf (http://bbq.htcomp.net/Current&#37;20Yr%20Info/2008%20WINNERS%20LIST.pdf)

That's a 21 year old invitational. The second most popular, Texas Contest is probably due to its lousy timing, is the 38 year old (or 31 depending on how you look at it) TAYLOR International Competition. Get this... for the vittles... no prize money! And still the best come there to win the trophies. And you are judeged SOLELY on the meat. No garnish, just meat covered in event provided.... foil. No sauce, no glaze... just enough mop to keep moist.
Then there's the RGV of course, smokin strong since 1976.

Hey, ain't my fault when the world hears "Texas" they think BBQ... then oil then steers and the other thing. LOL

Now, I have a question... in Massachusetts... 38 years ago... who was competing in Q and in what contest? In New England? Not even "New England Wood Cookers association was around then.

Just a question. (evil laugh)

Seriously, I can say... y'all Yankees sure learn quick though and make some great Q.

Greendriver
12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey, ain't my fault when the world hears "Texas" they think BBQ... then oil then steers and the other thing. LOL

This stuff about Texas and BBQ has long been known to be a hoax. Everybody knows the best bbq is cooked in the SouthEAST USA.

barbefunkoramaque
12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
This stuff about Texas and BBQ has long been known to be a hoax. Everybody knows the best bbq is cooked in the SouthEAST USA.

LOL thats the spirit Green. I have stuffed my face with a lot of SE Cue all the while talking smack with my mouth full about how Texas can't be beat.

I can say one thing... most of those contests I mentioned don't have a pulled pork category... I think they just gave it up to y'all cuz its hopeless.

BobBrisket
12-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I must admit I've boiled and braised my fair share of butts and briskets too. Don't always have the time to slow cook for 10+ hours and comfort foods like soups, stews, tamales, etc take long enough to cook as it is. THis Ropa Vieja stew sounds pretty dang good!

Westexbbq
12-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Interesting post, indeed.
I like it for two reasons:
it contains some great information about cuban food,
and it contains the adjective 'supercilious'.
- a killer combination.

paperboy98
12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
As a newbie to the site I hesitate to get into this discussion! But when I saw the post, I remembered a Food Network program where a Texas chef boiled a brisket. My friends say I'm a peacemaker, so maybe this recipe can bring peace to this volitile discussion. This brisket is both boiled and smoked, so maybe some of you guys could consider it. I have never made this recipe and make no claims about it, but it looked good on TV, and the people that ate it said it was delicious. If you make it, post your results.

Paperboy98

Brisket, East Texas Style

2 1/2 gallons good beef stock
1 bottle dry red wine
4 bay leaves
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 (8 to 10-pound) brisket, fat cap on
2 1/2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce

In a large cooking pot combine beef stock, wine, bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic and salt; over medium heat, bring to a low boil. Place brisket in boiling mixture, fat side up, and cook at a low simmer for 4 1/2 hours, or until tender.
Remove brisket from pan and place on the top rack of a grill or smoker and cook for 1 hour. Baste with BBQ sauce. Remove from grill or smoker and let cool for 15 minutes. Slice thinly and serve.

jpw23
12-08-2008, 07:09 PM
That's right you heard me and it was damn good. OK - the real deal is I was in the mood for Ropa Vieja and the butcher had no flank so I used a brisket. It was awesome. No pics never happened - I'll beat you to it!:grin::eek::eek::eek:

Rookie'48
12-08-2008, 07:11 PM
:eek: :shock: :eek:

jack040806
12-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone that has chimed in on this post, I was having a bad day and heading for an evening of three hours at school, just read this and I haven't laughed that hard in a while... David Bowie classic.

backporchbbq
12-08-2008, 07:21 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

:lol::-D:biggrin: That is farking funny

JD McGee
12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Sigh...:roll: So...let me get this straight...boiled brisket...BBQ forum...that's some pretty funny chit right there. Unless you're boiling it in the water pan of your WSM...it ain't Q (not too sure that would be either)...whether it's in Texas or Hawaii...:twisted::twisted::twisted:...:lol::lol:: lol:

jpw23
12-08-2008, 07:30 PM
:lol::-D:biggrin: That is farking funnyI've been waiting all week to post that:lol::lol::lol:

barbefunkoramaque
12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I welcome you to the forum and now am going to hide my head in sand on behalf of the entire state of Texas:icon_sick

As a newbie to the site I hesitate to get into this discussion! But when I saw the post, I remembered a Food Network program where a Texas chef boiled a brisket. My friends say I'm a peacemaker, so maybe this recipe can bring peace to this volitile discussion. This brisket is both boiled and smoked, so maybe some of you guys could consider it. I have never made this recipe and make no claims about it, but it looked good on TV, and the people that ate it said it was delicious. If you make it, post your results.

Paperboy98

1 bottle dry red wine
4 bay leaves
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup kosher salt

In a large cooking pot combine beef stock, wine, bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic and salt; over medium heat, bring to a low boil. Place brisket in boiling mixture, fat side up, and cook at a low simmer for 4 1/2 hours, or until tender.
Remove brisket from pan and place on the top rack of a grill or smoker and cook for 1 hour. Baste with BBQ sauce. Remove from grill or smoker and let cool for 15 minutes. Slice thinly and serve.

jgh1204
12-08-2008, 07:53 PM
There are plenty of idiots in Texas. How else do explain all the tsip fans?

1_T_Scot
12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a waste of a bottle of wine. Maybe I'll drink the wine and just smoke the brisket.

Paperboy98

1 bottle dry red wine
4 bay leaves
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup kosher salt

backporchbbq
12-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I've been waiting all week to post that:lol::lol::lol:

Used it at a great time.

Jacked UP BBQ
12-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Just had the left overs and it was so damn good - BOILED BRISKET THAT IS! CRINGE BIOTCHES!!!!!

backporchbbq
12-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Just had the left overs and it was so damn good - BOILED BRISKET THAT IS! CRINGE BIOTCHES!!!!!

At least you made a mexican dish, and didn't try to call it Q. You should cook that for the group at the next comp, as long as I am there. Then we could give it a try. Try to redeem yourself :rolleyes:

barbefunkoramaque
12-09-2008, 08:23 AM

This guy is a true brethren... cringe biotches! LMAO

paperboy98
12-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Gotta defend myself now....

1. Lubbock address is first clue I'm no Tsip fan!
2. I was careful to say I never cooked this recipe
3. Texans in Yankeeland can still be proud of their home state
4. I've smoked (and ruined) my share of briskets
5. Forgive my indescretion and judgement lapse!:smile:

Paperboy98

barbefunkoramaque
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Gotta defend myself now....

1. Lubbock address is first clue I'm no Tsip fan!
2. I was careful to say I never cooked this recipe
3. Texans in Yankeeland can still be proud of their home state
4. I've smoked (and ruined) my share of briskets
5. Forgive my indescretion and judgement lapse!:smile:

Paperboy98
\\

LOL, its not to late go go back, press edit, and put something else in.