PDA

View Full Version : Smokin in the cold ?

RazBarlow
12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I am thinking about doing some smoking in the cold and snow this week.We are having temps in the 20's and some wind .
You guys that live in the same climate,does this stop you ? Or what have you noticed the biggest difference is ? Do you have to open your bottom vents more to get more air ?
Thanks,
Raz

Smokin Mike
12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
what smoker do you have?

on my FEC and Traeger no weather stops me, planing doing a couple butts overnite,on the FEC-100, here it is going to be very bad weather, doen't stop me, but on my WSM, I would have to put it in it's jacket so it depends

RazBarlow
12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I use a UDS.

bigabyte
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
In the 20's I just use a little exra fuel in the WSM's. Lower than that and I may also need to open the vents a tad towards the beginning and then close them down later. Lowest I have cooked in was around zero and the WSM had no problems once it was dialed in.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I predict that the main problem you will encounter is wanting to drink enough beer in the cold weather.

MRI_Guy
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
When I cook out in the cold: 1 - I wear warmer clothes and 2 - instead of beer, I often drink Brown Mumblers.............

OK - so last year I had to dig a path in the snow as well.

Roo-B-Q'N
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Nope Spicewine and Backwoods are awesome cookers, Hve never tried the WSM in really cold weathe, but since I moved it to the deck I plan on using it alot more.
If you want to help yourslef a bit go get a welders blanket or Hot water Heater blanket and wrap your UDS for added insulation.

NeoTrout
12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
The more it snows the better. There's nothing like getting out there in a blizzard. I just turn the firebox out of the wind. The cold is another story. Things take a little longer and I have to drink more. Grilling on the other hand is no problem whatever the weather is.:icon_cool

Todd Ras
12-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I tried a Brisket the other day in my WSM and faught with it the whole time trying to get the temps above 210 (Temp outside was in the 20's) Just couldn't do it!! I needed to add more fuel in the beginning, which I learned the hard way. After 2-3 hours nothing I did could get it past the 215 range. Very frustrating!! Then again, it's operator error so no one to blame but myself!!

SpammyQ
12-03-2008, 02:20 PM
When I cook out in the cold: 1 - I wear warmer clothes and 2 - instead of beer, I often drink Brown Mumblers.............

brown mumblers? what is this you say, brown mumblers?

NeoTrout
12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Brown mumblers? Enquiring minds need to know. :confused:

Harbormaster
12-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I am thinking about doing some smoking in the cold and snow this week....You guys that live in the same climate,does this stop you ? Or what have you noticed the biggest difference is? Raz, I smoke on my WSMs year round, even at -20 or more. I built some wind screens that I put around the WSMs or the kettle to block the wind. The biggest difference? I have to drink the beer faster so it doesn't freeze in the bottle.

brown mumblers? what is this you say, brown mumblers? Yes, do tell. What are these mystical "brown mumblers" of which you speak?

If you ever want WSM lessons, you'll come clean MRI_Guy.

Bbq Bubba
12-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I use a UDS.

Then your good to go......

Res6cue
12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
The colder weather is what made me get off my ____ and buy a GOSM. Just too much surface area with the Offset compared to the Verticle. Plus it is easier to control a Gasser.

Bbq Bubba
12-03-2008, 03:34 PM
The colder weather is what made me get off my ____ and buy a GOSM. Just too much surface area with the Offset compared to the Verticle. Plus it is easier to control a Gasser.

Blasphemy........

MRI_Guy
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
brown mumblers? what is this you say, brown mumblers?

In an effort to keep this thread on topic - I answered the question in the Woodpile Holiday drinks thread.

Smokin Mike
12-03-2008, 04:45 PM
BTW, it is thundering out here, in under 30 degree weather, sounds like ice to me, goin to be fun tommorrow! yea!!!

all fun!!!(smart a$$ mod)