PDA

View Full Version : I think it's a perfect start for me over here what say ye?

Dr_KY
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
FORD TRANSIT MOBILE CATERING VAN

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170283563688&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=170280917286&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BSI%26otn%3D2

It's almost exactly what I need and fits on the tiny roads here. I need a serious loan though.

From what you can see is there anything you would change or suggest in the way of a BBQ van? I'm thinking another grill like IR to give burgers a beter taste.

Divemaster
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Looks good to me... Wouldn't work here with only two sinks... Where you going to install the smoker????

Dr_KY
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I was thinking of doing the smoking in the pubs certafied kitchen and finishing off in a electric/gas one installed next to where that fridge is ( piping the exhaust outside) or adding a warmer cabinet there.

Divemaster
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I was thinking of doing the smoking in the pubs certafied kitchen and finishing off in a electric/gas one installed next to where that fridge is ( piping the exhaust outside) or adding a warmer cabinet there.
I like this plan....

I think this sounds like a better idea than trying to keep up with more food to cook rather than warming it up. My guess is that you are going to be busy serving customers (we hope!) and trying to keep up with finishing off partially smoked items may be one more thing that you really don't need (or want) to worry about.

Dr_KY
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks Dive these are the reasons I look to you brothers and sisters for advice.

Any other things to think about?

Roo-B-Q'N
12-01-2008, 01:09 PM
In the second picture, are all of this warming areas? if so do you need to add additional holding areas.
What are the health laws over their concerning holding and storing food as well as wash area?

Dr_KY
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
I'll have to look into it.

Just a note there is a burger van around the corner and he has been there for eight years and by the looks of things the laws are weak compaired to what what you guys go through. His looks like this but with fresh grease running up the walls. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CATERING-VAN-13FT-X-6FT_W0QQitemZ270309251920QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI _Restaurant_RL?hash=item270309251920&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CATERING-VAN-13FT-X-6FT_W0QQitemZ270309251920QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI _Restaurant_RL?hash=item270309251920&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

I have a booklet from the Food standards Agency that arrived Friday so I'll read through it this weekend. http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/caterers/

These guys should be of some help for us too. http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/cabdir.ihtml

Roo-B-Q'N
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Sounds like all you really need is to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. If you are cooking in an approved kitchen and they allow you to prepare in one place and then serve in another, I would say go for the smaller of the two units and work into the larger one if need be.
I say that, then think that if you are going to do it why buy small then have to go bigger in a year or so. All depends on your situation.
I am looking forward to "going through" this with you, so keep us posted. Going to be a great thread I think.

Dr_KY
12-07-2008, 11:25 AM
That auction is now out of the question with the current situation but I will be watching this one..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-FIAT-DUCATO-MOBILE-CATERING-VAN-STAINLESS-SWIRL_W0QQitemZ180312117934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_B OI_Restaurant_RL?hash=item180312117934&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-FIAT-DUCATO-MOBILE-CATERING-VAN-STAINLESS-SWIRL_W0QQitemZ180312117934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_B OI_Restaurant_RL?hash=item180312117934&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

Yakfishingfool
12-07-2008, 11:34 AM
102 pounds with no minimum????

parrothead
12-07-2008, 11:50 AM
One thing that I learned is you can't judge an areas standards and rules by looking at someone who has been there for 8 years. Laws and standards change and they are fairly leniant on making those in place come up to the new level. They however will require you, the new kid on the block to do more than every one else.

Good luck with this if you do it.

Dr_KY
12-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks.
The price has jumped with four days left. :(

smokinit
12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
If you want a small smoker on board mount one on a trailer along with a grill for burgs and dogs. Your truck needs to be used for preping,holding and serving and see if you realy want or need the fryers they add alot of expense for what you do and the space could be used for extra refridgeration,prep ext. I have done alot of tinkering with my setup to get it the way I want it and as you work in it you will see what I mean. Good luck on you new venture I will give what ever help I can.

Cabntmkr1
12-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Doc, if anyone can make it work...you can!:wink:
I say go for it, and much success my friend.

Dr_KY
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Doc, if anyone can make it work...you can!:wink:
I say go for it, and much success my friend.
I'm going to make it work bro matter what. :cool: The price on this one is past my limit now (£2,050.00 ) so I'll wait for another one. :cool:

If you want a small smoker on board mount one on a trailer along with a grill for burgs and dogs. Your truck needs to be used for preping,holding and serving and see if you realy want or need the fryers they add alot of expense for what you do and the space could be used for extra refridgeration,prep ext.

I think keeping the friers is a must over here everyone buys and loves french fries/chips but I think we can go with a smaller fridhe and use coolers for drinks thus leaving space for a holding cabinet?

lazybonesmoke1
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I would concentrate on finding a commercial kitchen to work out of and getting more catering customers before you spend alot more money on a catering van. Have you considered renting a catering van maybe on certain days of the week or different times of the day. Around here they have mobile lunch trucks that take food to factories a lunch time I've always thought about selling them pulled pork sandwiches and having them re-sell to clients. I'm sure there is a way to sell your BBQ somewhere. Just keep trying.

Dr_KY
12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
O I hae a comercial kitchen that I can use with no problem so thats covered. Things are a bit differant over here and as far as burger vans and the such. The best way aboutit is to get a place to vend from the council offices. The prime spots are in the town centers, these guys fire up around half seven in the evening and end at say two AM. The clientel is mostly peoplr making their way home from the pubs and night clubs so pulinh in well over a grand on a Friday is normal. The second best is building sites, outside places like Home Dept and high traffic areas.

The drive up type of service that vwe are use to is al run by private companys and the monet really isnt there for a free lancer.

I haven't found anyone or place that rents vans though.

I want to go mobile in one unit for several reasons such as I'm limited on parking /storage space, easier to get one unit around then pulling a lunch box and I need to be mobile so that in the summer I can get to carnivals , horse shows etc because thats where the big money is.

This is the typical set up for events..
http://www.cruisewestcumbria.co.uk/images/cwc7pics/122_2256.JPG

This is more of what we see daily parked on corners..

http://bp1.blogger.com/_7FyAhXF4sLQ/R_fscKFYk9I/AAAAAAAABn4/uA4mU1knrWo/s400/potters+bar+town+vs+dartford+021.JPG

http://kebabvan.com.au/little%20van%20photo.jpg

JD McGee
12-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Sounds like a great idea doc. I didn't see any BBQ vendors in your pics. Is it very popular over there? Good luck with the new venture! :-P

Dr_KY
12-10-2008, 03:08 AM
I haven't seen a single BBQ vendor in six years other than a hog roast at large functions. I have had a few conversations with a guy that has a roaster and wants to team up over the summer months so I'll be into that. I have been to a hog roast or two and keeping in mind I have never done one myself I still feel that the standards were very very low but people love them because of what they are. A slice of that pig cost you about 5.00 on a roll with a spoonful of apple sauce.

jbrink01
12-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi Doc,
I have travelled England a fair bit (was over this summer in Maidenhead, Manchester and Birmingham on business selling cranes for my German employer) and have been pretty successful over here selling Q, my other job. Seems to me the evening thing could be good for you...maybe set up outside a football (soccer) stadium in the evening? I was floored by the number of vendors outside the game we saw....

What is your pricing like on pork shoulders and beef brisket? I'm paying about $2.49 US for Brisket and selling a sandwich for $6.00. $8 with 2 sides.

Dr_KY
12-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I'll have to ask the butcher tomorrow about cost( he's closed today) but I have recently received a customer number for the cash and carry ( Price Club sort of place) to use so I'll check there too.

You see where I'm coming from with the van and being mobile? Just shut the doors batten down and drive away .
Did you notice while over here the placements of catering trailers and the such. It's a bit different from the states but I know I can make this work for me and I have found people love great BBQ. I won't be able to stick strictly to the BBQ rule but PP and brisket should match and overtake those elephant legs. Ribs may not be till later in the game.

jbrink01
12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I think you are spot on. You may need to think about a smaller trailer, as your roadways don't lend themselves to my rig (22' Long x 6.5' Wide plus a 22' Long truck to tow it with). I think you could do well.

smokinit
12-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Find that nitch and do what noone else does and you will make it. In my area of NY there is no BBQ and I have it locked up so far. Another thing I learned don't try to do to much variety find you signiture dishes and add specials on and if they work add them to you daily menue. This will help waist and you bottom line and take special ordres for by the pound sales. Find a vacume machine and store up 1lb bags for people to take home I do alot of them. Good Luck.

Dr_KY
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Ya that's why the first one I posted would be ideal,one van and no trailer suits me down to the ground. I'll be picking up a used postal van/truck from a friend shortly so that can be used for other things in the mean time.
http://pictures.directnews.co.uk/liveimages/Post+van_898_18353676_0_0_182_300.jpg
Ugly but that's the general rule over here.lol

I'll look into a vac sucker after I get a unit. I have used the butchers several times as long as I leave a bag of goodies for him. :cool: I have the BBQ market cornered ( at least around here)I just gotta get the right vehicle.

I just looked on my Sat Nav and the nearest BBQ joint is over 80 miles away!!

jbrink01
12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Find that nitch and do what noone else does and you will make it. In my area of NY there is no BBQ and I have it locked up so far. Another thing I learned don't try to do to much variety find you signiture dishes and add specials on and if they work add them to you daily menue. This will help waist and you bottom line and take special ordres for by the pound sales. Find a vacume machine and store up 1lb bags for people to take home I do alot of them. Good Luck.

We had it pretty well locked until 2 years ago when a competitor opened a full service Q restaurant, something we had been asked to do several times. We said no, kept catering to our nitch, and so far so good. The restaurant is now t*ts up, and we keep plugging along......