PDA

View Full Version : roasted turkey in the oven?

bobaftt
11-26-2008, 10:14 PM
How would you guys roast a turkey in the oven if you were forced to use the oven this year at thanksgiving? I would much rather use a smoker but I am at the mother in laws and am in charge of turkey. I made a compound butter with a teaspoon of poultry seasoning to 1 1/2 sticks of butter I plan on putting this under the skin. I have also brined the turkey. I was thinking about putting a stalk or 2 of celery, some sage, and some thyme and some rosemary and an onion and an orange in the cavity of the turkey. I don't really know what temp and for how long, also what do you think of what I plan to put in it?

AlabamaGrillBillies
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I've been there before. I just use the same flavor profile I use when smoking and the same temps just in the oven instead of the smoker. I use the same brine, the same injection and the same rub and bake at 300-325 until 160 in the breasts and 175 in the thighs. Normally comes out great, about 80% as good as the smoked ones. I've found out a lot of my specific turkey flavor profile comes more from the injection and rub than from the smoke it gets in the smoker.

BBQchef33
11-26-2008, 10:25 PM
325, about 4-5 hours for a 20lber. Less(closer to 4) @350. Start high 350-375 and lower to

Breast down for the first hour or better, then turn it back over and cook breast up.

stiuff in the cavity sounds fine.. maybe add some fruits, like diced apples and pears.

Ron_L
11-26-2008, 10:58 PM
What is this oven thing that you speak of?

Midnight Smoke
11-26-2008, 11:05 PM
What is this oven thing that you speak of?

I think that is the thing in the kitchen that has a drawer under it to keep misc utensils for outdoor cooking.

Midnight Smoke
11-26-2008, 11:07 PM
How would you guys roast a turkey in the oven if you were forced to use the oven this year at thanksgiving? I would much rather use a smoker but I am at the mother in laws and am in charge of turkey. I made a compound butter with a teaspoon of poultry seasoning to 1 1/2 sticks of butter I plan on putting this under the skin. I have also brined the turkey. I was thinking about putting a stalk or 2 of celery, some sage, and some thyme and some rosemary and an onion and an orange in the cavity of the turkey. I don't really know what temp and for how long, also what do you think of what I plan to put in it?

Most the same about 15 minutes per lb @ 325º, skin may not brown as well with a brined bird. I would rub the skin down real good with butter and cover any parts that do brown to fast with aluminum foil.