PDA

View Full Version : Trash Can Turkey

Against The Grain
11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Anyone tried this? I saw a cooker at Lowes that resembles this method.

http://www.herculesengines.com/Trash%20Can%20Turkey/Index.htm

BobBrisket
11-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Wonder if he charges extra for the toxic galvanized after taste and fumes:shock:.............

"The trash cans are 10 gallon galvanized metal cans. We purchased them at a local farm store."

BBQ Grail
11-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Here we go again... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:

bigabyte
11-19-2008, 03:44 PM
When I was Cubmaster of my sons Cub Scout pack, the leaders had to have outdoor training from the district before we could take any of the scouts camping. We covered this cooking method there. The guy from district said to NEVER use a trash can because not only does it sound gross, but if it's galvanized you will release toxic fumes.

For the example turkeys we cooked they used a really big stainless steel stock pot. I don't have one that size, but I'm sure if you look you can find one. We used the same method. Turkey on a stick, foil on the ground, covered with the pot, and coals on ground and the top.

It was a damn fine turkey if you ask me, and was done in just 2.5 hours. I was really impressed at the time. Since then, I've heard about this method COUNTLESS times!:lol: Go figure. You finally hear some interesting trick, and next thing you know everyone is doing it!:lol:

A friend asked me about these cookers earlier this year. It's basically the same thing, only sold as a cooker!:lol:
http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrillreviews/gr/aapr102407a.htm

BurntFinger_Jason
11-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Looks like a galvanized dutch oven to me. I sure hope nobody got sick from eating those...

capri man
11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
why not just put it in the oven???:roll::roll:

bigabyte
11-19-2008, 06:19 PM
The trash can doesn't fit in the oven.:rolleyes:

Norcoredneck
11-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Clean, new paint cans are ideal for this. Industrial paint stores sell them cheap. We did this at Glamis before.

BobBrisket
11-19-2008, 09:36 PM
I sent the owner of the site an email asking about the use of the galvanized trash cans and he responded. He told me they lit fires in the cans to burn off the zinc on the inside. I don't know about that!! Look at the first four pics........those cans do look preburned. Then look at the next row of four and what do you notice?

jestridge
11-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Wow I just ate a zinc cough drop. Trust me people it wont make you sick unless your melt the metal. Been there it breathing the fumes what make you sick while welding it. Drink milk while welding galv youy want get sick. I work maintance for Flowers bakery. Food business use lot of galv in there ovens and proof boxes.

Plowboy
11-20-2008, 08:21 PM
My uncle has done this method a lot: big dutch oven.