PDA

View Full Version : Digital Thermometer Issue

RangerJ
11-15-2008, 01:56 PM
So I'm trying my first brisket on the UDS and to really simply things I purchased a digital thermometer. Nothing fancy, the kind they sell at Lowes. Enter your desired temp, it shows you where its at and when it gets there.

8lb Brisket went on at 9:30. UDS is doing its job and puffing along at 225.

at 12:30 local, the digital thermometer says I'm at 185. I open up the lid and I can tell by looking we are no where near where we are supposed to be. Get out the old fashioned, jab it in at test thermometer and it says.. 155.

Anyone have a different reaction with the digital type? I know the thread says the UDS smokes a bit faster than normal, but no way is 3 hours going to do the trick and again, I've done enough of these on my offset to know what done beef looks like.

JD McGee
11-15-2008, 02:25 PM
So I'm trying my first brisket on the UDS and to really simply things I purchased a digital thermometer. Nothing fancy, the kind they sell at Lowes. Enter your desired temp, it shows you where its at and when it gets there.

8lb Brisket went on at 9:30. UDS is doing its job and puffing along at 225.

at 12:30 local, the digital thermometer says I'm at 185. I open up the lid and I can tell by looking we are no where near where we are supposed to be. Get out the old fashioned, jab it in at test thermometer and it says.. 155.

Anyone have a different reaction with the digital type? I know the thread says the UDS smokes a bit faster than normal, but no way is 3 hours going to do the trick and again, I've done enough of these on my offset to know what done beef looks like.

Check to see if it is reading correctly first. Put it in a pan of boiling water (just the probe tip) and see if you're close to 212 degrees.

Next...depending on where you placed it in the brisket could give you a different reading than your "old fashioned". I usually put mine in the center of the flat...it usually finishes first.

Mo-Dave
11-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Check to see if it is reading correctly first. Put it in a pan of boiling water (just the probe tip) and see if you're close to 212 degrees.

Next...depending on where you placed it in the brisket could give you a different reading than your "old fashioned". I usually put mine in the center of the flat...it usually finishes first.

Don't for get to check the old fashion one as well.
Dave

Meat Burner
11-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Ranger, I have one of the therms from Lowe's and find it is pretty accurate. Checked it with other gauges. If is the orange "Taylor" they sell, read the paperwork to calibrate in iced water. I did the calibration thingy twice and think is is right on accurate. It is within 1 degree of my thermapen.

jestridge
11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I have one of the Taylor it really gives me good service. I use it a lot