PDA

View Full Version : Terlinqgua Texas and TICC (long)

Black Cat BBQ
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately, I dont have any pix from TICC this year. My husband thought I was taking them and I thought he was! :shock: Since this was our 4th year in Terlingua I do have pix from all the past years. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the country. The Texans are some of the friendliest and most helpful people I have met and one of the reasons we return year after year.

In 2006 year we flew into El Paso. Its a 5.5 hour drive southeast to Terlingua from El Paso. It was a late flight so we stayed at a really neat hotel in right outside of Juarez. Tortilla soup and a burger. Old habits....

Once in Terlingua we stay about 20 minutes outside of the CASI Ranch at a B&B called Ten Bits Ranch. Now, this is not exactly the type of B&B that you find back East. You are in the desert and they are off the grid, so they operate by solar power. You have heat or AC if you need it, water for showering etc, just be mindful and turn off lights conserve water etc etc. (Like living with Mom all over again!) The B&B is themed around an old ghost town and as of this year, they were adding a pool and bar!

Looking down on Ten Bits

Inside our room:

Outside our room:

On the way to the CASI Ranch...what a view!!

TICC is always held the first w/e in November. Everything starts on Wednesday and wraps up late Saturday night. Friday is scholarship day. There are competitions in Salsa, Beans and Wings. Top 5 get cash and the winners get checks for $1500! All proceeds go to the CASI scholarship fund.

Getting ready for announcements on Scholarship Day:

The CASI Ranch and the BIG SHOW:

looking down on Rancho CASI de los Chisos :

The Maryland tent with our flag flying right in the middle, two dudes from PA to our left (I think they were trying to figure out how to light their stoves) and the Puget Pod in the front (Hi Ken!!)

Two time TICC back to back Champ, Cindy Reed Wilkens and Jim Parker (Owner of the Hard Times Cafe chain). She's rubbin his pepper!

The Stage:

CASI one man SHOW:

Scenery:
Chimney Rock
Hen Egg Mountain

BobBrisket
11-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Was the burger and tortilla soup from La Hacienda restaurant? Looks like a good time!

Westexbbq
11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Wow,
what a beautiful setting, looks to be a grand time.
thanks for the pictures.

orangeblood
11-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Very nice! - thanks for posting.

Black Cat BBQ
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Was the burger and tortilla soup from La Hacienda restaurant? Looks like a good time!

No we actually ordered room service in the hotel, it was close to midnight and we were starving! It was very good tho. Will put Hacienda on the agenda for next year!

Black Cat BBQ
11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
No, problem anytime! Its a great adventure and there are all sorts of comps to enter or judge. First thing Friday morning we volunteer to judge wings, then beans, then salsa. It all comes with free beer and what ever else you need to cleanse your palette! Sometimes a tums or ten!!

drbbq
11-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice pics!
The guy in the barrel is actually a friend of mine. Mike Stevens from near Chicago (and New Mexico these days). I've cooked a little chili in my day and my buddy and I are committed to going to Terlingua in 2009. See you there.

Chipper
11-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Dr., I hope to see you there as well.

Chip

Black Cat BBQ
11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Nice pics!
The guy in the barrel is actually a friend of mine. Mike Stevens from near Chicago (and New Mexico these days). I've cooked a little chili in my day and my buddy and I are committed to going to Terlingua in 2009. See you there.

Thanks!

Really?? For the brisket comp or chili or both?

We met Mike in Chicago this year. We went out there in January for the Chilly Willie CCO. Him and his wife were fantastic hosts! They have won many a contest and are just all around great people.