PDA

View Full Version : NY,NJ,PA,DE, or MD comps in june?

Jacked UP BBQ
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Anyone know of any comps in the are for JUNE? If not, there is an organization in the area by me who would love to incorprate one with their already large event. Let me know, I don't want to step on any toes and tell them to go with it. Thanks

The Virginian
11-10-2008, 12:21 AM
You've got Landover Maryland (though I think this year it is being held in upper marlboro) in early-mid June, DC BBQBattle in late June, and I think Yardley PA is in there somewhere as well.

Brett

WannaBeBBQueen
11-10-2008, 06:49 AM
You've got Landover Maryland (though I think this year it is being held in upper marlboro) in early-mid June, DC BBQBattle in late June, and I think Yardley PA is in there somewhere as well.

Brett

Yardley is very much in question for this year...

there is also

06/14/09 Beltway BBQ Showdown (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2009&month=06&id=1454) Upper Marlboro, MD

lunchlady
11-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Yardley is very much in question for this year...

Do you know why? Is that for real or just forum chatter?

Jacked UP BBQ
11-10-2008, 07:49 AM
THIS comp will be in ocean county NJ, by the toms river area. I don't think the maryland comp will be that much of an issue. I hope yardley is on, beside the heat, I like that comp.

WannaBeBBQueen
11-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Do you know why? Is that for real or just forum chatter?
I believe it's for real...money issues with the farm, they didn't make a profit from what I understand, but maybe someone else will chime in....unfortunately we can't check this on snopes...lol

Sledneck
11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Do you know why? Is that for real or just forum chatter?It is definitely off.The farm was losing money They are looking for a new location

Jacked UP BBQ
11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
The dates would be 6/13 - 6/14, let me know who would be interested. Great park location, golf course, driving range, sports fields, play ground, clean bathrooms, huge spots, there is tons of room here. This could be a great event, there is a lot of comminuty support. Let me know please, we are running out of time to try for sanctioning and getting good organization.

pigmaker23
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Estimated Prize Pool ? Entry Fee ? Just KCBS or Grilling Also ? these are all ? people will have. Sounds like a great place tp have a contest, and May is pretty light on the schedule..

Jacked UP BBQ
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Estimated prize pool 5k, kcbs plus a steak dinner cook off on saturday, all meat, starch,and vegetable will be provided by by comp (steak dinner only), entry fee for bbq comp will be 225.00 and for the steak dinner contest will be 35.00, all proceeds from that will be donated to the the orgination this is benefitting. This event has great potential. I will do contest announcement hopefully tomorrow after I meet with the foundation.

Also - would it be a conflict, if I competed in a comp I helped organize if it is kcbs sanctioned????

pigmaker23
11-10-2008, 12:46 PM
sounds great :-P

Estimated prize pool 5k, kcbs plus a steak dinner cook off on saturday, all meat, starch,and vegetable will be provided by by comp (steak dinner only), entry fee for bbq comp will be 225.00 and for the steak dinner contest will be 35.00, all proceeds from that will be donated to the the orgination this is benefitting. This event has great potential. I will do contest announcement hopefully tomorrow after I meet with the foundation.

Fat Angel
11-10-2008, 01:00 PM

Also - would it be a conflict, if I competed in a comp I helped organize if it is kcbs sanctioned????

This sounds awesome. Keep us posted. Have you contacted KCBS? specifically Linda Mullane? She will tell everything you need to know about getting it sanctioned and she is the best Rep around. I have her info you need it.

I see no problem in you competing. Tom Christine cooks in all the contests he organizes. The first year he did Bristol he walked around and asked anyone if they had a problem with it and no-one did. It may be a different story if you win though :-D.

Jacked UP BBQ
11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
This sounds awesome. Keep us posted. Have you contacted KCBS? specifically Linda Mullane? She will tell everything you need to know about getting it sanctioned and she is the best Rep around. I have her info you need it.

I see no problem in you competing. Tom Christine cooks in all the contests he organizes. The first year he did Bristol he walked around and asked anyone if they had a problem with it and no-one did. It may be a different story if you win though :-D.

You don't have to worry about us winning!:lol:

Big Ugly's BBQ
11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
how many teams are you projecting? Being formerly from Ft Monmouth, we might be interested in coming up.

Jacked UP BBQ
11-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I would hope for at least 20, but we have way more room, for plenty of teams. All entry fee money for the bbq will fo to the prize money. Its hard to project a number of teams, I would be full of chit if I made up a number.

Big Ugly's BBQ
11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I would hope for at least 20, but we have way more room, for plenty of teams. All entry fee money for the bbq will fo to the prize money. Its hard to project a number of teams, I would be full of chit if I made up a number.

Fair answer, thanks!

Jacked UP BBQ
11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Fair answer, thanks!

Hope you can make it.

lunchlady
11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
MY opinion... I think as long as you stay away from anything to do with judges there probably won't be a problem with your team competing. Except if you win it :> then you'd probably hafta deal with all kinds of crap.

Although, some may not like the way it looks, including me. Sorry, but I have always been big against an organizer cooking their own event. Perception is reality, as they say.

That being said... CHECK WITH YOUR REP!!! Sounds like a good event. Best of Luck.

Sledneck
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I do not see a conflict of interest as far as cooking/organizing. Its not like you can fix the judging

butt head
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I talked to tom about yeardly a couple of weeks ago. he is activly looking for a new place to have it and in the same area.He said he has a few places in mind. I also talked to some coworkers who live in that area and they passed it on to their fire depatment leaders so lets wait and see. I'm not giving up on a local comp becouse shady brook got greedy

rbsnwngs
11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
as a past organizer of an event you are not aloud to compete at your own event

Jacked UP BBQ
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree, I would love to do yardley again, its getting close to the next season and I was hoping to get this going if it was a go. If there are no 100% solid conflicting scheduled events, I am going to have to go with it. This will be a great event for everyone, and I know the support we will get from the community and the charitable orginazation this will be a success. I should contact Tom and see what he thinks about bringing YARDLEY to NJ:)!!!!!!

Sledneck
11-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I I should contact Tom and see what he thinks about bringing YARDLEY to NJ:)!!!!!! Its a pretty big town, where ya gonna put it?

Sledneck
11-10-2008, 08:06 PM
as a past organizer of an event you are not aloud to compete at your own event
Says who? As stated earlier in the thread Tom Christine competes at the events that he helps to organize.

Porkmeister
11-11-2008, 07:30 AM
We would be there. I like semi local events. It makes it easier on the wallet.

rbsnwngs
11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
the organizer on record i was told is not aloud to compete in there own event. This is why i did not compete in sayville the first year. i was told i was not aloud

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
11-11-2008, 08:37 AM
the organizer on record i was told is not aloud to compete in there own event. This is why i did not compete in sayville the first year. i was told i was not aloud

so if I am on the organizing commitee its ok to compete at the comp? I would rather compete than be on the "board"

Jacked UP BBQ
11-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I understand the point, but if the kcbs judging and system is as well as everyone claims to be, there should be no problem. There is no real way to cheat without marking your boxes. That will not be tollerated, that is why they have great reps and table captains who handle this. The reps and table captains should have no problem getting rid of a cheater, no one wants to be involved with nonsense anyway.

rbsnwngs
11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
so if I am on the organizing commitee its ok to compete at the comp? I would rather compete than be on the "board"

from what i was told and understand as long as you are not named as the organizer of the event you can help out in anyway and still compete

lunchlady
11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
We've gone through this so many times in New England... as far as I know, we even asked KCBS this past year, there is no written down rule about organizers competing in their own contests.

Personally, I would LOVE to cook the Snowshoe, but I wouldn't because Gary and I organize it.

pigmaker23
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
your right, there is no rule, you guys are on such a roll you should cook at snowshoe, just let Sully be in charge of the contest .. LOL

We've gone through this so many times in New England... as far as I know, we even asked KCBS this past year, there is no written down rule about organizers competing in their own contests.

Personally, I would LOVE to cook the Snowshoe, but I wouldn't because Gary and I organize it.

Jacked UP BBQ
11-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Looks like the contest is going to happen, I will have an official contest announcement by the end of the week, any suggestions or questions, chit even comments would be great and answered, even seriously!:)

LindaM
11-12-2008, 07:07 PM
It is against KCBS rules for a team to compete and be the organizer. Tom is not the competor it is his son Billie who cooks not Tom.

[
QUOTE=OC PIG ASSASSINS;778358]You don't have to worry about us winning!:lol:[/QUOTE]