PDA

View Full Version : Pork & Chicken Jerky with Fattie "PRON"

DavidEHickey
11-03-2008, 07:06 AM
I decided to make some Jerky and wanted to try something new. I originally wanted to make turkey jerky but the cheapest boneless turkey breast I could find was 5.89 lb. I had seen ParrotHeads post with pork sticks which looked great, so I opted for pork and chicken. Bought a 9.5 pound pork loin and 6.5 pounds of large boneless chicken breasts. Sliced into strips and Cured for 36 hours with Hi Mountain cracked pepper and Garlic. Turned out pretty good. I like it more like smoked meat than shoe leather Jerky. Smoked for a little over 2 hours at 225
And then I Made a fatty. Used a roll of Bob Evans Original sausage flattened it out and diced up some portabella mushrooms, onions, parmesian cheese and pepper jack. Turned out great. I'm going to slice it and serve with spaggeti tonight instead of using meat balls.
"I almost screwed up, flattened it out on wax paper thinking it would not stick. WRONG had a hell of a time getting it off the wax paper"

Jack2u2
11-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Jerky looks really good. I could snack on that for a good while. Nice job!

BBQ Grail
11-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Very nice.

Smokin Mike
11-03-2008, 09:24 AM
nice jerky and fatty! nice tip about the sticking to the wax paper.

1_T_Scot
11-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Looks great!! Sounds like a good Idea with the Fatty (if it lasts that long).

71-South
11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Looks great!

"I almost screwed up, flattened it out on wax paper thinking it would not stick. WRONG had a hell of a time getting it off the wax paper"

My wife is the family fatty stuffer. She uses wax paper to keep from having to clean the cutting board, but she sprays the wax paper w/ cooking spray right before flattening the roll out. It works pretty well that way.

-Bret

jeffjenkins1
11-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Nice job, what texture does the chicken jerky have?

Jeff

BBQ Bandit
11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Very nice!!

Midnight Smoke
11-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I could snack on those!

topjimmy
11-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Looks good, but that is not jerky. It's cooked chicken strips. Nothing wrong with that. Jerky should be cured and cold smoked if you want, then dried at low temps. I do mine on a box fan.

Later
JimC

BobBrisket
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Very NICE!!

Monty
11-03-2008, 01:51 PM
nice david, love the fatty too!

Bacon
11-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Looks good to me. Jerky style chicken. I'd take a big bowl of mac and cheese, 7 of those strips, and 3/4 's of that fatty

DavidEHickey
11-04-2008, 09:16 AM
"Looks good, but that is not jerky. It's cooked chicken strips. Nothing wrong with that. Jerky should be cured and cold smoked if you want, then dried at low temps."

You Northern Ohio people are always hard to please! :evil: It is cured, and Hi Mountain specifically says. We recommend smoking Jerky @ 200 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours with smoke on. Do not leave smoke on longer than 3 hours. DO NOT OVER COOK. Again, Jerky does not have to be cooked so hard you cannot chew it. So I rest my case, I certify my meat as true Hi Mountain Jerky. You people in Northern Ohio probably put beans in your chili also! :lol:

topjimmy
11-04-2008, 01:28 PM
"Looks good, but that is not jerky. It's cooked chicken strips. Nothing wrong with that. Jerky should be cured and cold smoked if you want, then dried at low temps."

You Northern Ohio people are always hard to please! :evil: It is cured, and Hi Mountain specifically says. We recommend smoking Jerky @ 200 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours with smoke on. Do not leave smoke on longer than 3 hours. DO NOT OVER COOK. Again, Jerky does not have to be cooked so hard you cannot chew it. So I rest my case, I certify my meat as true Hi Mountain Jerky. You people in Northern Ohio probably put beans in your chili also! :lol:

I should have gone easier on a fellow Buckeye! They are just covering their butts on the cooking part. Trust me cold smoked and air dried...jerky nirvana.

My wife likes beans in the chili not I but you know damn well I gota put em in there for her. Her mom's chili was basically sloppy joe's with kidney beans in it. :roll: She even puts ketchup on the chili I make to give it more tomato taste. I'm still trying to fix her.

So long as your not making that swill they sell as chili in Cincinnati your ok.

Later
JimC

DavidEHickey
11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
LOL, well my last weeks "Pron" with Brisket Chili showed wife mandated beans in it. However just 1 small can as I still wear the pants. And I couldn't agree more. I could not even think about eating a bowl of that Cincinnati stuff and calling it chili. Granted I can eat it with a minature hotdog and a mound of cheese every once in awhile when I feel like a little heart burn. And yes next batch of Jerky I think I will try the true Cowboy boot leather variety. It will give me something to chew on while deer hunting.

Bigdog
11-04-2008, 08:25 PM
FYI
The official and best way to "roll a fatty" is to use saran type wrap. Make sure to make it extra long so you can "twist the ends." :wink: