PDA

View Full Version : BGE vs. Country Smoker

71-South
10-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey All,

I love my large BGE, but I've been toying around with the idea of swapping it for a CS-570 or a CS-680. If I sold the egg, the platesetter, and the table, I could use that money and swing enough extra to get one of the Country Smokers.

In the future, I might very well get an egg again, cause I really do love it, but for now I want more cooking surface and I'd like to play with different equipment for a while.

Some reasons for a switch:

I'll probably start competing within a couple/few years and I want a smoker that will work well for comps as well as back yard cooks.

I'm starting to get asked to cook for small events like meals for my lodge, family gatherings, etc. It's hard to cook a whole lot on the BGE.

Question: How much meat can you (successfully) stuff into a CS-570? A CS-680?

Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,
Bret

71-South
10-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh, a few more questions...

Is there a noticable flavor difference between a BGE and a pellet pooper?

Does one produce more "authentic" style Q?

Do you use a water pan w/ the pellet pooper? Is it hard to clean?

Thanks,
Bret

HoDeDo
10-31-2008, 11:06 PM
I would say you don't need a water pan in the pooper.... I like food equally off of both,

As far as size goes - you are looking at between $100-150 per jump in size. A 680 should be fine if you are planning on cooking for groups. You can add a second tier of racks, or rib racks, and be fine in one.

Bentley
11-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I'll probably start competing within a couple/few years and I want a smoker that will work well for comps as well as back yard cooks.

Question: How much meat can you (successfully) stuff into a CS-570? A CS-680?

Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Advice?

I think the 680 is basicly half my WholeHog? You can cook quite a bit. If I am pressed I can do 4 brisket at one time or 6 butts. If I really wanna pack it I put in the second shelf and basicly double that.

It was tuff using it to compete before the digital, with it, it is Hog heaven!

Oh, a few more questions...

Is there a noticable flavor difference between a BGE and a pellet pooper?

Do you use a water pan w/ the pellet pooper? Is it hard to clean?

Thanks,
Bret

Sorry, man, never cooked on an egg, your gonna need someone that has both to give ya good feed back on that!. I have cooked with water and with out, see very little difference!

I guess I could cook with anything just like anyone else on this forum...I think pellets taste the best, just gotta go with what you think gives you the best flavor!

A fellow PelletHead, QnKC's father built this for his CS-680! Getting ready to build something like this for my WH!
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp300/Qnkc/IMGP0280.jpg

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp300/Qnkc/IMGP0301.jpg

Always looking for more smoke flavor, I hear folks talk about over smoked meat...never tasted it myself! Well, with pure Mesquite, Yes!

embo500
11-01-2008, 10:11 AM
You can fit quite a lot on the CS680. I LOVE mine, and use it all the time.

Here's a pic of my CS680 loaded up with 14 fatties, 10 chicken legs, and two pouches of potatoes.

http://gallery.goramrod.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3741&g2_serialNumber=2

This summer I did 6 pork butts and a brisket on it at once.

Here it is last weekend with 3 16lb. briskets on it:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_SJ23E9gZuZI/SQnPotsnbRI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/IVW_t8BV2-U/s800/IMG_1291.JPG

And how about a load of pig candy for good measure.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SJ23E9gZuZI/SQxxhTsv-AI/AAAAAAAAAGM/qbgaAFSPgGg/s800/IMG_1111.JPG

JD McGee
11-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I know the BGE will do low-n-slows...but can the Country Smoker achieve the high temperatures to do artisan breads and steaks? Just a thought on versatility. It's all personal preference. :-P As far as competing is concerned...the BGE is one of the best for temp control...etc. It's just a pain in the arse to haul around. Looks like you're going for capacity too...which may seal the deal for you on the CS. Good luck!

thillin
11-01-2008, 10:57 AM
As far as competing is concerned...the BGE is one of the best for temp control...etc. It's just a pain in the arse to haul around.

Yep, me and Mike (GrumpysQ), had 4 of them at the comp last month. But with a Potlifter, 2 people can load in and out of a truck or van with no problem.

We cooked the chicken (4th place) on a large and had to ramp the temp from 325 to about 500 to get it done in time. Eggs do have the ability to raise temps quick. And like you said, has versatility.

Guess it depends on how much you actually want to cook at once.

embo500
11-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I know the BGE will do low-n-slows...but can the Country Smoker achieve the high temperatures to do artisan breads and steaks?

I just did some cookies in my CS680 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51183) that I cooked at around 400. I've had no problems getting it up over 500 to sear a steak, but I will admit that top end on these units is somewhat dependent on what kind of pellets you use.

Plowboy
11-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I can't see hauling around a single Large BGE and doing contests. Swapping to a CS680 versus investing in another BGE would be the way to go in my book. The CS680 is going to be easier to master for consistency, which you need in competitive cooking.

Plowboy
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh, and I get first dibs on your Egg when you sell it.

Bentley
11-01-2008, 12:41 PM
...but can the Country Smoker achieve the high temperatures to do artisan breads and steaks?

Tell we what that temp is and I will tell you if it can be acheived.

thillin
11-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Tell we what that temp is and I will tell you if it can be acheived.

Not sure what he uses for bread, but I seared some ribeys the other night at 800+ dome temp(pegged thermo). And that's a good 10-12inches above the grate.

An egg is a versitile tool. Not best suited for comps, but it can be done on 2 eggs. Or get a partner with a cooker also until you decide if your gonna compete regularly. But the egg is a great backyard cooker. I can fit about 4 butts on my large, or a couple of briskets. Can do 5 slabs of ribs with a rack. Just try to forcast your needs.

Everyone prefers what they cook on. Best advise is get a pellet pooper to go with the egg, or sell the egg and use 1 cooker. Do what will make you happy. Heck, my next cooker might be a pellet pooper or box smoker. Depends what I'm in the mood for when I sell my offset. Not saying one is better, it's what floats your boat.:biggrin:

Bentley
11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Not sure what he uses for bread, but I seared some ribeys the other night at 800+ dome temp(pegged thermo).

I have a Traeger thermo on my WH, it goes to 550*. I have had it off the scale a couple of times, according to the digital I hit 650* a few times and then it reads error...800*, I doubt the WH or CS will get that hot!

71-South
11-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Wow! Thanks, all, for the great information. When I get the kids to bed, I'll post more.

bbqdano
11-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I am also known as QnKC as mentioned above. That's my Broilmaster P3 holding up the supplimental smoke box we made for our CS grills.

My dad & I both have 570's. (I should have got the 680 but such is life.) At any rate, both of us were former stick burners with offset rigs and were quite pleased with our Q. But the versatility of the pellet machines caught our attention and we took the plunge back in the May.

Having cooked on the CS now for months, and done everything from steaks, burgers, pizza, & slow smoked Q, I'll never be without one of these.

The smoke flavor on a standard pellet grill is much more suttle and it does vary on the type of pellets and other variables such as ambient temperature & wind conditions. If you want more smoke flavor, an extra smoke box can do the trick.

The great thing about the pellet grills is the convenience. Get the hopper extension, AND the digital temp controller, and you'll be in Q heaven.

Good luck,
Dan (aka QnKC)

71-South
11-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks, all, for the great information. The CS-680 looks like the size I want.

I feel the need to restate that I absolutely love my BGE. I just can't afford to have both and I really want to try the pellet pooper. I don't cook steaks very often, so I think I'll be plenty happy if I can get the CS up to 450° or 500° for the occasional steak.

I can't see hauling around a single Large BGE and doing contests. Swapping to a CS680 versus investing in another BGE would be the way to go in my book. The CS680 is going to be easier to master for consistency, which you need in competitive cooking.

Would it be feasible to do a whole comp w/ a CS-680? I'm thinking I'll need a small cooker to do chicken in. Maybe just a little Weber kettle. (?)

Oh, and I get first dibs on your Egg when you sell it.

I'm still trying to talk the wife into all of this. The egg came with her from a previous life and she's not eggsited about letting it go.

Do what will make you happy. Heck, my next cooker might be a pellet pooper or box smoker. Depends what I'm in the mood for when I sell my offset. Not saying one is better, it's what floats your boat.

Yep. That's exactly what I think. I'd keep both if I could afford it right now, but I can't. So, I'm thinking about becoming a pellet head for a while, then just see what happens after that. Maybe one of these days I'll run across a steal of a deal on a BGE on Craigslist.

I am also known as QnKC as mentioned above. That's my Broilmaster P3 holding up the supplimental smoke box we made for our CS grills.

That's pretty cool. How does it work? I think I could talk my uncle (Art's Viddles) into making one for me if I tried.

The great thing about the pellet grills is the convenience. Get the hopper extension, AND the digital temp controller, and you'll be in Q heaven.

I'm pretty much sold at this point. We'll see what happens, though.

Thanks again, all, for the replies.
-Bret

SMITTYtheSMOKER
11-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I compete with Big Green Eggs...

-If money is an overriding factor (which I do understand), do what you have to do.
-Having a cooker dedicated to a cook gives you an opportunity to cook specially for your Pork/Brisket/Ribs etc. I don't cook everything the same way, differnet smoking woods and drip pan additives. I feel you would have to sacrifice cooking in one cooker somewhere. JMO
-If you're just starting maybe the single cooker is the fastest way to get going...try to keep the Egg.

Good luck.

jonboy
11-02-2008, 05:46 PM
It sounds like the wife likes the egg. If you keep it, you will have good karma and a happy wife.
Try to add a cs to the fleet and start competing with her blessings.
Put her in charge of chicken...
Back to my sofa now.
jon

NewEnglandQ
07-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm still trying to talk the wife into all of this. The egg came with her from a previous life and she's not eggsited about letting it go.

Now thats a dowry....

71-South
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM
I ended up finding a CS-570 for around $500 and adding it to the stable. Life is good.

HoDeDo
07-23-2009, 06:45 AM
I ended up finding a CS-570 for around $500 and adding it to the stable. Life is good.

Did you pick up Jeff's?
I was just reading through this thread again, and his cooker came to mind...

71-South
07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I got mine off Craigslist from the guy that runs the music store down in Butler. He bought it to compete, but decided against it shortly thereafter.

WineMaster
07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Congrats man, The best of both worlds now!

Dan

KC_Bobby
07-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I got my brother's WH up over 500* this past weekend.