PDA

View Full Version : Holding Prime Rib

TOPS BBQ
10-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Christmas parties are coming up and I have a friend that will let me put together the menu. Anyhow, I would like to smoke some Prime Rib roasts for their party this year. My question is; Will I be killing (over cooking) the roast(s), if I hold it in my Cambro(s)?

I will probably slice just before they eat, but I need to make sure it doesn't overcook while holding. Suggestions?

Marsha
10-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Why don't you cook up a test one and let me taste it for you!?

BBQchef33
10-30-2008, 05:33 PM
i have done a few prime ribs in my day.

They dont hold well. Meaning they maintain a good heat load and continue to cook for a long time. I have watched 130* prime ribs turn well done in front of my eyes as I slice it.

If i was forced to hold it, i would pull at 120 and cool it. Then depending on size, reheat it to finish temps, or finish the slices on a grill. If its a large roast, like the 20lbers i do, after it cools, slice it in half, reason the ends and reheat it in the oven.

if none of this sounds good, pull it at 125. and dont cambro it immediately. Let it dump some of the heat load before holding, and keep a temp probe in there to monitor. I would rather pull it to rare and finish it on the grill(or under a broiler) than crush it from the start.

Bigmista
10-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Seeing as how Count Poobah makes the best Prime Rib I have ever had, I'd go with his recommendations.

big brother smoke
10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
I held a 15lber boneless for a friend's birthday party a few weeks ago. Took off smoker @ 3:30, sliced around 4:45. I put it in the oven right before serving for 10 minutes, but the key was no cambro. The cambro is going to keep it cooking at 180 - 200 degrees. While wrapping it in foil and pan will let it mellow out. I pulled the beast off the smoker at about 120 degrees.

TOPS BBQ
10-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Cool deal. I'll leave the Cambros behind. Thanks for the advice.

Marsha - You can test it out, when you're in the area visiting your brother. ;-)

Jeremiah
10-30-2008, 07:12 PM
When I have to hold a large roast that I want rare (with maybe some more medium pieces on the ends) I pull them around 115. I would suggest keeping some probes in so you can monitor temperatures, I wouldn't plan on holding them too long though. A couple hours at most.

Marsha
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Cool deal. I'll leave the Cambros behind. Thanks for the advice.

Marsha - You can test it out, when you're in the area visiting your brother. ;-)

I will be over there in the next few weeks. :D

TOPS BBQ
10-31-2008, 12:56 AM
I will be over there in the next few weeks. :D

Kind of funny that you mention that. I was planning on smoking one for Thanksgiving.:biggrin: