PDA

View Full Version : Broken Thermometer

Sarge
10-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Greetings Brethren,

I'm fairly new to the site and I have been reading and reading lots of posts over the past few days and wish I joined a few years ago! I'm on a small team in Ohio and we have been smoking for about 8 years.

Anyway, I have an Oregon Scientific wireless meat thermometer, kind of basic, but very handy. I was using it in my smoker the other day and it maxed out at 199 (F) and has been stuck there since. I think the probe got overheated and damaged. Does anyone know of a good, but inexpensive, source for a replacement probe. Will most other brands fit?

Thanks

Mike

Midnight Smoke
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Depending on when you bought it some companies will replace the probe at no charge, Taylor does.

Sarge
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I have had it about three years, I know they still make it. I'd just be happy to find an inexpensive replacement probe, or two...

The Pigman
10-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Sarge just tell Dan he broke it at comp and owes you one............Did you check out the pics on the thread Ohio Smoked Meat and BBQ Pics. You are in there. I have a maverick 73 and like it very much.

Sarge
10-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Pigman,

Yup, saw the pics yesterday. You took some great ones! As for the thermometer, I may just get another one, but I'd like to find a replacement part. It has been a handy thermometer in spite of it's faults. I have heard lots of good things on the Mavericks. As for blaming Dan, won't work, already told him it broke when I was making some fatties. BTW, thanks for ruining a great diet with tales of the wonderful pork concoction. I had to try them this week. They were not bad for my first attempt. I used a sweet kraut and cheese stuffing.

Mike

Smokin Turkey
10-24-2008, 08:13 AM
I love the maverick! I use it and sell it with my smokers. The company is easy to deal with on warranty issues. All I had to tell them on one occasion was I had just purchased the probe and it quit on my second smoke. They didn't ask for proof of purchase or anything. They sent me a new #1 probe at no cost!

jerrykr
10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
check the prices at Lowes and Home Depot. Sometimes their price for a new unit is less than the cost of a replacement probe. Unless of course the manufacturer will give you a replacement.

Apparently probes fail rather regularily. I don't know this for sure, but heard that you should not let the probe get wet, or the tip to touch metal. right/wrong, I'm not 100% sure. I know my first one failed in a turkey in an electric roaster, a very wet environment.

I caught a sale at Albertsons supermarket right after the Christmas holidays, and picked up 3 of them at $10 each. The first one is still going strong. Holding the other 2 in reserve.

The Pigman
10-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Pigman,

Yup, saw the pics yesterday. You took some great ones! As for the thermometer, I may just get another one, but I'd like to find a replacement part. It has been a handy thermometer in spite of it's faults. I have heard lots of good things on the Mavericks. As for blaming Dan, won't work, already told him it broke when I was making some fatties. BTW, thanks for ruining a great diet with tales of the wonderful pork concoction. I had to try them this week. They were not bad for my first attempt. I used a sweet kraut and cheese stuffing.

Mike

Glad you like the fatties stick around and we will blow that diet out of the water. What is it they say.....Dont trust a thin cook

Also check the thread for the brethren bash in Nov. out at Ricks house by dayton............

Brauma
10-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Those probes do go bad. And they act just like what you have goin on there.

I had a probe to give me a royal headache at a catering job not long ago. It went to 249 and stuck there. I was using it to display the pit temp. Fooled me for a while (too long) until I noticed what was happening. It's in the trash.

Have multiple spares of probes and back-up thermometers.

Rookie'48
10-24-2008, 05:45 PM
The main trouble I have had is if water gets in where the probe joins the wire cable. If that happens you might fix it by boiling it in veggie oil but be careful of the plastic plug around the hot oil / stove top. Don't ask how I know about that :icon_blush:.