PDA

View Full Version : Pellet cooker the way to go at comps

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Joey Mac's Smoke Stax Team Wins Prestigious American Royal Barbecue Contest with "Green" Pellet Fired Smoker

Pellet smoker-cooking trend takes team to Grand Championship at American Royal Barbecue invitational contest.
Kansas City, MO (PRWEB (http://www.prweb.com/)) October 17, 2008 -- Joe McManus walked to the winner's circle at Kansas City's 2008 American Royal Barbecue invitational contest to collect $12,500 and the Grand Championship, which includes an invitation to compete for the next five years. The Naperville, IL team, Joey Mac's Smoke Stax, cooked the winning 'que on a pellet fired smoker. Pellet smokers have been a trend among competitors for the last 5 years as more and more teams have won contests using the smokers. Of the 106 teams competing in the Royal invitational, 20 of them cooked on pellet smokers.
McManus, cooking as Joey Mac's Smoke Stax, cooked on a pellet smoker. "I absolutely love the http://www.cookshack.com/competition [Fast Eddy's by Cookshack] (pellet) cooker - it is a dream to use; you simply press a button and go. We all know it's a fantastic competition cooker. You get very consistent quality and there's never any question about how your product will turn out."
Pellets are considered a "green" renewable fuel source as they are made of 100% wood food grade sawdust, which is compressed into the small pellets used in smoke-cooking. These clean burning pellets are carbon neutral, and add no more carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere than the trees they came from. Many team captains express pride in "going green".
The American Royal Barbecue invitational cook-off was host to 106 cooking teams from the U.S. and Canada, all contending for celebrated titles and cash prizes. Teams using pellet smokers made up 20% of the total, winning not only the Grand Championship but first place in each of the KCBS-specified categories of brisket, pork, and chicken. Four of the top ten teams cooked on pellet smokers.
Teams who make the invitation list are no slouches. American Royal rules require that each team win a qualifying state championship, signed by the governor of the state. The team must win the state championship by beating 25 other teams in a Kansas City Barbecue Society sanctioned cook-off. Maurin says, "When you are going head to head against those cooking in the invitational, you are cooking against the best of the best!"

The American Royal open category included almost 500 teams, and Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels, using a pellet smoker, singlehandedly walked off with Reserve Grand Champion.
While competing is fun, it is also serious business, which is why "Choosing the proper smoker is of utmost importance," according Ed (Fast Eddy) Maurin, pioneer in the pellet smoker industry. Maurin says of his product, "I've been competing since 1986 and have learned from my own experience and from other Grand Champion winners what was needed to design and create what I think are the best smoker ovens on the market."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/10/prweb1480564.htm

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree this must be the way to go, but I think they should be illegal to use in comp. If they are allowed they should also allow propane.

Scottie
10-22-2008, 12:04 PM
I am finding that there isn't much that you agree with in comp cooking... If you dislike it so much, why do it? People are always making excuses, from judges to cookers for getting waxed. And for the record, I am a pellet cooker and would welcome the opportunity to face the gas cookers. I am not afraid of them. Just like I do not know why you are afraid of pellet cookers, but not Guru's or Stokers or whatever else that controls fires?

I was told early on by my dad. A true champion knows how to lose as well as winning. Don't blame your equipment, look in the mirror.

My advice would be to just cook better.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I am finding that there isn't much that you agree with in comp cooking... If you dislike it so much, why do it? People are always making excuses, from judges to cookers for getting waxed. And for the record, I am a pellet cooker and would welcome the opportunity to face the gas cookers. I am not afraid of them. Just like I do not know why you are afraid of pellet cookers, but not Guru's or Stokers or whatever else that controls fires?

I was told early on by my dad. A true champion knows how to lose as well as winning. Don't blame your equipment, look in the mirror.

My advice would be to just cook better.

What are you talking about, I love comp cooking. Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. You must have me mistaken for your buddy unforgiven. I'll give you the chance to renig your silly comments or we can go at it all day. :twisted:

HoDeDo
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
OG - I think they should allow all cookers... Cookshack Electrics, Propane CTOs, you name it. Having cooked on a stick burner for the first 8-10 years, I switched to pellets when I started doing more than 10 contests a year, and had the family in tow. It just made since for us. I know on any given weekend, I've had my butt kicked by a trash can, a lang, a jambo pit, and a country smoker. But I love to mix it up with all of them. For the record, the best brisket I've ever eaten came off of a trash can. :)

I cooked in the LP Que last year on a rented CTO, and hated it, compared to my FEC or Kingfisher Rotisserie... But I know guys that do well with the CTOs too...(propane off of course)... so I say cook on what ya like.

Til then, I just look forward to getting to scrap with Scottie again! Goin to little rock in the Spring??? :)

HoDeDo
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
The American Royal open category included almost 500 teams, and Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels, using a pellet smoker, singlehandedly walked off with Reserve Grand Champion.
While competing is fun, it is also serious business, which is why "Choosing the proper smoker is of utmost importance," according Ed (Fast Eddy) Maurin, pioneer in the pellet smoker industry. Maurin says of his product, "I've been competing since 1986 and have learned from my own experience and from other Grand Champion winners what was needed to design and create what I think are the best smoker ovens on the market."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/10/prweb1480564.htm

Thanks Sled, I had not seen that.... but they are wrong... it took both hands to walk off with that 8-):roll: Woo hoo!!!! Still lovin it.
AG

bbqczar
10-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I will take on all cookers as well,gassers,pellet,paper,gasoline,nuclear,you name it !Scottie,looking forward to meeting you and cooking against you in Phoenix next month.The event there was big last year and will be even bigger and better this year !

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
It has nothing to do with scared, just an opinion, obviously someone's feelings got hurt! I just think if you allow electric, you should allow gas. I don't use guru's just charcoal and wood. And I also rarely get my arse waxed, just my eyebrows. Continue to use your pellets and enjoy life and your trophies! You the man!

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Iwish I had the extra cash for an FEC. Maybe one day:wink:

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
chit I would take one too. PLease don't jump down my throat:-o!

Jeff_in_KC
10-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks Sled, I had not seen that.... but they are wrong... it took both hands to walk off with that 8-):roll: Woo hoo!!!! Still lovin it.
AG

Baloney, Andy! You and I both know it takes our wives hands in the mix! So four-handedly! :lol:

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 12:59 PM
get rid of your pellet, your store bought rubs, your sweet baby rays and store bought sauces and come down and lets talk..

anyone can throw together some pellets, throw a plug into a 110v socket, rub their meet with store bought, and sweet baby rays sauce and go to a competition...

everyone on this sites jumps all over everyone. we all have comments and opinions are like poop holes.. everyone has one so take everyones comments and opinions for what it is worth..

my opinion.. if you use a pellet smoker for competition it takes the skill out of it.. everyone on here has skills and likes to use them.. why take it out of the game with a pellet smoker!?!

I CHOOSE TO WAKE UP AT 2AM AND 5AM TO CHECK MY WOOD AND COAL.. NOT JUST PLUG IT IN AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.. LOL

Bentley
10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow...I did not know I was a Tree Hugger!

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow...I did not know I was a Tree Hugger!

lol.. mr traeger.. lol

Bentley
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I agree this must be the way to go, but I think they should be illegal to use in comp. If they are allowed they should also allow propane.

Teams can cook with cow patties as far as I am concerned!

And for the record, I am a pellet cooker and would welcome the opportunity to face the gas cookers. I am not afraid of them.

Preach it Brother...I agree!

Edit Mod: Did not see 2nd comment....Man I sure got the "knows how to lose" part down.

Jorge
10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
get rid of your pellet, your store bought rubs, your sweet baby rays and store bought sauces and come down and lets talk..

No offense intended, but the two guys with pellet cookers that have posted in this thread probably wouldn't be at the top of the list of people you want to call out to cook:wink::mrgreen: One has won the Jack, and the other RGC at the Royal open this year. It isn't the cooker that is doing the winning, it's the cook.

Scottie
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM
What are you talking about, I love comp cooking. Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. You must have me mistaken for your buddy unforgiven. I'll give you the chance to renig your silly comments or we can go at it all day. :twisted:

Well, I am not going to take back what I said. If you want to get rid of pellet cookers, then get rid of Guru's, Stokers, lump charcoal, matches and basically everything else that makes cooking easy.

Why should they be banned? Give me a educated explanation. We cook with wood. Plain and simple.

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Wah... Wah.. Wah... Alot of cry babying going on lately..

Won the jack, one the american royal, one the piggly wiggly comp. Dont matter to me..

I am not a basher like him.. Love me, hate me, want to beat me up.. Whatever..

I love you all!

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, I am not going to take back what I said. If you want to get rid of pellet cookers, then get rid of Guru's, Stokers, lump charcoal, matches and basically everything else that makes cooking easy.

Why should they be banned? Give me a educated explanation. We cook with wood. Plain and simple.

There is no educated explanation needed. Maybe my thoughts came across you the wrong way. Let me try to put it a little more mellow for you. What I meant to say is if they allow electric pellet smokers in comp, they should also allow gas, and whatever type of smoker or cooker people want to use. That is all I am saying. I chose to use charcoal and wood and maintain temp on my own. There was no insult intended, so keep your guard up stay tough, just trying to get some other input. Thanks for yours!

Scottie
10-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Pellet cookers are not electric though. They are wood cookers. If someone threw a Guru on their pit, would you call it an electric cooker?

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Pellet cookers are not electric though. They are wood cookers. If someone threw a Guru on their pit, would you call it an electric cooker?

i sure would... i dont think that is correct way either.. me personally feel that 95 percent of the challenge is keeping the heat right and not burning or undercooking anything...

i dont know if i am totally against the pellets but i feel it take a lot out of the competition of it..

just my opinion scottie.. dont take it to the grave bud!!

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Me and my FEC, loving life.....and, the results, never complain, but, take a FEC to a comp and just turn it on, cook, and then just turn in....good luck on the bottom parts of the groups.....but, boy, in the morning, I feel fresh as the morning dew.....
There will never be a total agreement on this, but, ask Rod, Candi and others that step into the world of sticks every once in a while that they cannot cook.....I agree, bring whatcha got, and do whatcha do.....

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
it is kinda like the person who has a computer at home, and still sends letters to everyone....so much for progressing with technology......

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 01:27 PM

I obviously know nothing about your cooker. I thought you had to plug it in to get the heat going!

Plowboy
I'm for equality in hatred. If you hate pellets, you MUST hate gas, Guru's, Stokers, electric element heat sources, lighter fluid, chimney starters, matches, butane lighters, parted chickens, boneless butts, store bought anything... AND charcoal!

How UN-natural is charcoal? Pellets are at least ALL wood. All = 100%

Get two sticks and a piece of meat. Then go find a Boy Scout. See what skills you have then. You'll be hungry and he'll be eating steak for dinner.

If you aren't having to fuel your pit every 45 minutes, you are cheating and aren't cooking REAL BBQ.

Jacked UP BBQ
it is kinda like the person who has a computer at home, and still sends letters to everyone....so much for progressing with technology......

Not really getting what I am saying. Why do they not allow gas if they allow all others.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm for equality in hatred. If you hate pellets, you MUST hate gas, Guru's, Stokers, electric element heat sources, lighter fluid, chimney starters, matches, butane lighters, parted chickens, boneless butts, store bought anything... AND charcoal!

How UN-natural is charcoal? Pellets are at least ALL wood. All = 100%

Get two sticks and a piece of meat. Then go find a Boy Scout. See what skills you have then. You'll be hungry and he'll be eating steak for dinner.

If you aren't having to fuel your pit every 45 minutes, you are cheating and aren't cooking REAL BBQ.

Another one missing my point here.

AlabamaGrillBillies
10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I'd love to have a FEC for catering and personal use. My partner would love to have one for comps, but for me I enjoy using stick burners and wsm/uds type cookers. Its a chalange for me and thats why I like it. But as long as its in the rules, which pelet cookers are, why whine about them, won't do you any good. Just step up your game.

Jorge
10-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Not really getting what I am saying. Why do they not allow gas if they allow all others.

Because pellet cookers are fueled by wood.

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 01:34 PM
I still do not get why so many people think that pellets should be outlawed? DO they have some sort of advantage or make you any less a cook or competitor? My Wsm's are no more or less set it and forget than a pellet cooker and hold its temp the entire cook. Should they be outlawed as well? I can get just as long a burn time without refueling as a pellet cooker. I just don't get it. I have never used sweetbaby rays in comp either.

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Another one missing my point here.

Your point was that they should be illegal. I got it.

From there, all I see is back peddling.

Scottie
I thought you had to plug it in to get the heat going!

There is an electric element in there to light the fire pot. It turns off after 5 minutes I believe. I have mine disconnected and use a Mapp torch to light my pellets. Mostly because my pit gets up to temp a lot faster that way. So in answer to your question. The electricity doens't play any part in heating the pit. The heat is generated by the burning of wood. Wood pellets. Which is why pellet cookers are allowed in KCBS contests.

Hope this helps.

Jacked UP BBQ
Because pellet cookers are fueled by wood.

IF thats the case I completely appologize, I thought pellet cookers were fueled by electric, I look at some and they have temp controls that control the heat and burners that are elecetric and the pellets are just for flavor. Once again my bad. If theres not plug than there is no bug!!!!:lol:

Cue's Your Daddy
10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
It is the cooks choice to use the cooker they want if it does not break the rules. I do agree that pellet cooks have an advantage in keeping a fire more constant, but it is not an UNFAIR advantage because everyone is allowed to get a pellet cooker if they would like, we just chose not to. Think about when u go to a BBQ restaurant and they use a pellet cooker and the food still sucks. Its not the cooker its the cook.

Plowboy
I still do not get why so many people think that pellets should be outlawed? DO they have some sort of advantage or make you any less a cook or competitor? My Wsm's are no more or less set it and forget than a pellet cooker and hold its temp the entire cook. I can get just as long a burn time without refueling as a pellet cooker. I just don't get it. I have never used sweetbaby rays in comp either.

I had my BGE go 24+ hours on a single load of lump a weekend ago. I must be a cheater.

U2CANQUE
I am not against anything....but, if you want to change the rules, to allow gas, let KCBS know, I am sure that they will hear you out.

Bentley
10-22-2008, 01:37 PM
What I meant to say is if they allow electric pellet smokers in comp, they should also allow gas, and whatever type of smoker or cooker people want to use.

My unit uses electricty to cook the meat about the same as some who has a roterssier(sp). If you think that is the same as someone cooking BBQ with electricty so be it, probably some bad mofos's who can make BBQ with only juice!

Scottie
10-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I still do not get why so many people think that pellets should be outlawed? DO they have some sort of advantage or make you any less a cook or competitor? My Wsm's are no more or less set it and forget than a pellet cooker and hold its temp the entire cook. I can get just as long a burn time without refueling as a pellet cooker. I just don't get it. I have never used sweetbaby rays in comp either.

You are a pellet head in the making Sled... I can get 14 hours of burn out of my WSM... Without ever having to play with fire or charcoal or lump...

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I do agree that pellet cooks have an advantage in keeping a fire more constant, but it is not an UNFAIR advantage because everyone is allowed to get a pellet cooker if they would like, we just chose not to..
How do you figure? Many charcoal cookers keep a constant temp

Plowboy
My unit uses electricty to cook the meat about the same as some who has a roterssier(sp). If you think that is the same as someone cooking BBQ with electricty so be it, probably some bad mofos's who can make BBQ with only juice!

Rotisseries should be illegal. If you aren't spraying with apple juice every 30 minutes, it ain't BBQ.

Actually, store bought apple juice should be illegal, too. Only hand pressed apple cider with apples harvested from your own orchard should be allowed.

EDIT: Hating things is fun!!! :biggrin:

big brother smoke
I prefer sticks too, but I could care less what the next person uses. I have had good and bad Q from every type of cooker imaginable!

Gas at comps might be a safety issue. Somebody's cooker over time is bound to explode, chit happens!

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I sent this to Scottie -

I was completely confused as to what a pellet smoker was, I thought that the electric controlled the heat. Sorry for the mix up. I guess my lack of education on your cooker got me arguing and pointless point. Forward this to your pellet using friends! Now that I know how they work, I am just jealous!!!!:grin:

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
You are a pellet head in the making Sled... I can get 14 hours of burn out of my WSM... Without ever having to play with fire or charcoal or lump... I have been for a long time. Ever since i first laid eyes on that beautiful piece of stainless steel I have been in love

goodsmokebbq
10-22-2008, 01:43 PM
How do you figure? Many charcoal cookers keep a constant temp

Agreed. Backwoods = sleep :-D:-D

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I could never cook with a stick burner. God forbid I opened that fire door and some flames came shooting out , it would melt right through my bubble boy suit!

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
http://www.cockeyebbq.com/taxonomy/term/50

TRYING TO TELL ME WHEN YOU WATCH THIS YOU DONT HAVE TO PLUG IT IN TO USE THAT CONTROL?!?

Jorge
10-22-2008, 02:00 PM
http://www.cockeyebbq.com/taxonomy/term/50

TRYING TO TELL ME WHEN YOU WATCH THIS YOU DONT HAVE TO PLUG IT IN TO USE THAT CONTROL?!?

It uses electricity, but the fuel source is wood so it's a legal cooker.

Butts-n-gutts
10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
It's the cook not the cooker.

My first comp, we had a WSM and an ECB. Everybody else at the comp was using trailered cookers, had their stokkers and more than 1 pellet cooker. Our team was 2 guys who had not cooked a brisket until 2 weeks prior, ony cooked chicken 1 time and we did not like it, but we went to the comp just for the experiance.
Oh by the way we took 2nd in Ribs, 1st in Pork and 4th in Brisket for RGC. All was cooked on 2 cookers that everybody at the comp was making fun of.
Our next comp we cooked on drums and finished 24th, but it was a peoples choice contest, so we were serving to the public, and we had what I considered a great complement, people were comming back for thirds and fourths.
The reason that we go to the comps is to have fun and hang with friends, (at least rhats what the poll said a few weeks ago) so why does it matter what the guy next to you is cooking on, as long as hes not a chithead.

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
but you still gots to plugs its ins... :wink::wink::wink: :lol::lol:

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:04 PM
but you still gots to plugs its ins... :wink::wink::wink: :lol::lol:I plug in my stoker

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM

My first comp, we had a WSM and an ECB. Everybody else at the comp was using trailered cookers, had their stokkers and more than 1 pellet cooker. Our team was 2 guys who had not cooked a brisket until 2 weeks prior, ony cooked chicken 1 time and we did not like it, but we went to the comp just for the experiance.
Oh by the way we took 2nd in Ribs, 1st in Pork and 4th in Brisket for RGC. All was cooked on 2 cookers that everybody at the comp was making fun of.
Our next comp we cooked on drums and finished 24th, but it was a peoples choice contest, so we were serving to the public, and we had what I considered a great complement, people were comming back for thirds and fourths.
The reason that we go to the comps is to have fun and hang with friends, (at least rhats what the poll said a few weeks ago) so why does it matter what the guy next to you is cooking on, as long as hes not a chithead.

amen to that.. damn i got a perfect flame direct heat smoker for 140 dollars from home depot 10 hours before my first comp.. did it by myself and although it was an amateur one before i was a "pro" lol hahah i won first ribs, first in chicken, and grand champion!!!

it is the cook your 100 percent right. but i got to sit up all night, drink :lol:, light coal, and add wood to keep the temp all together..

why should someone be allowed to ron popeil it!?!? set it and forget it?!/

we use a smoker which holds heat for a long time but not one smoker is going to hold heat for 12 hours to do a butt.. that is long time without adding anything..

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:08 PM
amen to that.. damn i got a perfect flame direct heat smoker for 140 dollars from home depot 10 hours before my first comp.. did it by myself and although it was an amateur one before i was a "pro" lol hahah i won first ribs, first in chicken, and grand champion!!!

it is the cook your 100 percent right. but i got to sit up all night, drink :lol:, light coal, and add wood to keep the temp all together..

we use a smoker which holds heat for a long time but not one smoker is going to hold heat for 12 hours to do a butt.. that is long time without adding anything..
mine does

Jorge
10-22-2008, 02:09 PM
but you still gots to plugs its ins... :wink::wink::wink: :lol::lol:

So?

So you want technology to stop where it's convenient for you?

A cooker won't hold temp for 12 hours without adding anything? You might want to get out a little more and expand your horizons, because that's just not true. There are plenty of members here getting that from ceramic cookers, WSM, drums....

BigdogKC
10-22-2008, 02:17 PM

My drums both keep their temp for 12 hours easy!!!

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Pellet cooker IN MY PANTS!

Brew-B-Q
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I cook on WSMs and use a stoker. Could I do just as well without the stoker, you bet. I do most of my practice cooks without it and cooked for a long time before ordering it. Do I like that it allows me to sleep for a few hours straight during comps, you bet.

Should I instead use a cooker that requires me to feed wood, charcoal, or whatever every 5, 10, 60 minutes?

I have said before I don't like pellet cookers, but that's strictly because I'm jealous, can't afford one, and can't store / transport one.

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 02:28 PM

I had my BGE go 24+ hours on a single load of lump a weekend ago. I must be a cheater.

Big Green Eggs should be Illegal! I hate myself for being both a Pellethead and an Egghead.

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Big Green Eggs should be Illegal! I hate myself for being both a Pellethead and an Egghead.If i buy your rub it is considered store bought,what is considered if you use it? Is it homemade or store bought?:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric hear sources shall not be permitted for cooking of holding. Propane of electric is permitted as fire starters, provided the competitions meat is not in/oon the cooking device. Elictrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced drafts are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at the election of the contest oragnizer. Fires shall not be built on the ground.

all you pellets smokers have your meat on and in your smoker and cooking devices all night long cooking.. you are in violation of kcbs rule number 5. you are using electric heat source to start the pellet fire in the smoker while you are cooking your food..

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:42 PM
5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric hear sources shall not be permitted for cooking of holding. Propane of electric is permitted as fire starters, provided the competitions meat is not in/oon the cooking device. Elictrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced drafts are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at the election of the contest oragnizer. Fires shall not be built on the ground.

all you pellets smokers have your meat on and in your smoker and cooking devices all night long cooking.. you are in violation of kcbs rule number 5. you are using electric heat source to start the pellet fire in the smoker while you are cooking your food..
i think all of that espresso has rotted your brain. what the hell are you talking about? do you understand that the electric heat source lights the pellets in the cooker BEFORE the meat is put on and after the pellets are lit they stay lit without any assistance from any electric source until the cook is over DOH

Jorge
10-22-2008, 02:43 PM

You are not reading the rule correctly. Use of electricity to start the fire is legal. Pellet cookers DO utilize augers, and or forced draft....which ARE legal as well.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
He doesn't drink espresso!

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 02:47 PM
If i buy your rub it is considered store bought,what is considered if you use it? Is it homemade or store bought?:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

If you buy it from me it isn't store bought... I don't have a store.

When I make it, it is Ho-made.

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:48 PM
He doesn't drink espresso!I think I am going to smack him Saturday night in sayville. Oops I am sorry I wont be able to do that cause I will be sleeping because of my power draft stoker controlled wsms / Could you guys keep it down while you are tending to your fire so that you don't wake me:tongue:

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 02:48 PM
if you buy it from me it isn't store bought... I don't have a store.

When i make it, it is ho-made.

thats funny chit. .lol haha

ique
10-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree this must be the way to go, but I think they should be illegal to use in comp.

Looks like the off-season is here early... usually takes until January before this argument crops up :eek:

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Looks like the off-season is here early... usually takes until January before this argument crops up :eek:

i for one fish more than i cook.. and the stripers are not in hardcore yet.. lol :lol::lol:

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 02:51 PM

i think all of that espresso has rotted your brain. what the hell are you talking about? do you understand that the electric heat source lights the pellets in the cooker BEFORE the meat is put on and after the pellets are lit they stay lit without any assistance from any electric source until the cook is over DOH

The KCBS BOD has also ruled that the amount of heat that comes from an electric ignitor isn't sufficient to cook or aid in the cooking of meat. The "hot rod" is not considered a true heat source in this context. Doesn't matter if it comes on while my meat is on or not.

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
not worth it, just let the hardware continue to build up......speaking of which, did you like the plug for Yardbird on the Ohio Smoked Meats thread....was a special tribute to my store bought rub....

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
The KCBS BOD has also ruled that the amount of heat that comes from an electric ignitor isn't sufficient to cook or aid in the cooking of meat. The "hot rod" is not considered a true heat source in this context. Doesn't matter if it comes on while my meat is on or not. Does is come on during the cook? I assumed it didnt

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 02:57 PM
The KCBS BOD has also ruled that the amount of heat that comes from an electric ignitor isn't sufficient to cook or aid in the cooking of meat. The "hot rod" is not considered a true heat source in this context. Doesn't matter if it comes on while my meat is on or not.

but if it comes on during the cooking time then it is considered starting fire/smoke from an electric heat source/ heat rod or the alike..

i may be crazy but i am reading it pretty literally i think.. i dont have a problem if they are used without reigniting but once you reignite it with the meat on or in the smoker or cookign device it is a big dq in my book..

i dont really give a hoot either way but that is just the way the rules are written..

ps.. i didnts starts dis threads..

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 02:57 PM
no, just the first couple minutes, but, I am with Scottie, I do not use the ignitor.....use alternative starting methods.....just because ignitor burned out after 6 years of use....

KC_Bobby
10-22-2008, 03:00 PM
i sure would... i dont think that is correct way either.. me personally feel that 95 percent of the challenge is keeping the heat right and not burning or undercooking anything...

Well outlaw Backwoods too. Cause I don't touch it and it sits at 240 all night even without the Guru. I ran it Guru free at Warsaw and we got 1st in ribs, 1st in pork and 6th in brisket - good enough for an RGC. Maybe Wicked Good should be outlawed too.

I did plug in a light so I could see. Should I think about getting a propane lantern? Wait ... that's gas. A wood fire for light may be my only hope - or teach a cat how to cook. OHHH, how about North Pole cook offs on the first day of summer and South Pole cooks on the first day of winter!

The part you are missing is that Elictrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced drafts are permitted. The heat source was started before the meat went on and the electrical use of the pellet burner during use is not providing the heat - it's powering the auger. Doesn't the fire starter only work in the start up cycle?

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:00 PM
no, just the first couple minutes, but, I am with Scottie, I do not use the ignitor.....use alternative starting methods.....just because ignitor burned out after 6 years of use....

than your right.. its bes goods to goes.lol

Bentley
10-22-2008, 03:01 PM

You make my point, your choice is to cook this way, mine is to cook with pellets!

Scottie
10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
The ignitor only comes on for the first 5 minutes, after you hit the "on" button.... As it would be sorta useless having it glowing awya on a firepot that was lit... Don't you think?

Again. This is people that don't understand something trying to make an issue out of nothing...

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Well outlaw Backwoods too. Cause I don't touch it and it sits at 240 all night even without the Guru. I ran it Guru free at Warsaw and we got 1st in ribs, 1st in pork and 6th in brisket - good enough for an RGC. Maybe Wicked Good should be outlawed too.

I did plug in a light so I could see. Should I think about getting a propane lantern? Wait ... that's gas. A wood fire for light may be my only hope - or teach a cat how to cook.

The part you are missing is that Elictrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced drafts are permitted. Plugging in a pellet burner is not providing the heat - it's powering the auger.

i was confused on the never reigniting the pellets once they are lit.. i did not know they continued to burn off of each other as no one had stated that previously in the thread..

but i am not missing that part Elictrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced drafts are permitted.

it says and i repeast for everyone.. it says that it is not the heat source for electric that is the big problem.. it is starting your fire with electric...

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 03:03 PM
hellova arguement........laughs.......but, until a rule change comes about.....me and FE it has to be.......

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 03:04 PM
I think I am going to smack him Saturday night in sayville. Oops I am sorry I wont be able to do that cause I will be sleeping because of my power draft stoker controlled wsms / Could you guys keep it down while you are tending to your fire so that you don't wake me:tongue:

I thought we were getting wasted? Anyway I have a spicewine, no nned to stay up all night, unless the biotches are there and they want to party

U2CANQUE
or, just find the offset, log burner contest only.....that is the other option.....

Bentley

I would have to agree...Hope they dont make me start using gel like the old days!

Edit Mod: Looked at Jorge's post, never have the meat on when I am starting unit! Doh!

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:05 PM
The ignitor only comes on for the first 5 minutes, after you hit the "on" button.... As it would be sorta useless having it glowing awya on a firepot that was lit... Don't you think?

Again. This is people that don't understand something trying to make an issue out of nothing...

maybe you shuold just explain yourself better.. thats all.

Scottie
10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
so you want me to go into exact detail of how my smoker, that you say is illegal, works?

Sorry Charlie. You are trying to make a point. Maybe you should do a little better job in your research, to make your point work?

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
ala, why is a smokette not allowed, because primary heat source is from electric burner NOT from the wood inside that is used as the smoking agent.......
As I tell my interns all the time.....You just dont know what you dont know.....

Send the boys in Lynch a well wishing Scottie.....
You cooking with your FEC anywhere next weekend?

Jorge
10-22-2008, 03:12 PM
i was confused on the never reigniting the pellets once they are lit.. i did not know they continued to burn off of each other as no one had stated that previously in the thread..

but i am not missing that part Elictrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced drafts are permitted.

it says and i repeast for everyone.. it says that it is not the heat source for electric that is the big problem.. it is starting your fire with electric...

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced
draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted,
except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not
be built on the ground.

2008 rules are clear, that starting your fire with electric is legal provided that there is no meat in/on the cooker.

BBQSMYBFF
so you want me to go into exact detail of how my smoker, that you say is illegal, works?

Sorry Charlie. You are trying to make a point. Maybe you should do a little better job in your research, to make your point work?

i did my research and i know how they work.. but no one and not even the company said that it does not reignite itself..

if they reignite themselves then it is illegal..

so light it with whatever you want.. if the heating element does not work or is broken than screw it.. light it however you want to light it..

i still do not think that constant temp control that is electric should be allowed into competitions.. there is no brains to it..

i dont care if you can make the best bbq sauce or the best rub in the darn universe.. if you can not keep your smoker at a solid 240 or whatever you want then you should be smoking bbq.. just my opinion...

hold your temp without the electric.. without a guru or stoker.. obviously if you want to win you have to but i am guaranteeing it still does not come out perfect with out something like a fec 100

KC_Bobby
Wait ... you don't have to light wood before throwing it in an already burning fire to get it to burn? :rolleyes:

Bentley
Shoot, if Rock had been making the Stoker 6 years ago when I started using pellets I would have bought a Brinkman off of Craigs list, bought a Stoker and been real happy!

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
ala, why is a smokette not allowed, because primary heat source is from electric burner NOT from the wood inside that is used as the smoking agent.......
As I tell my interns all the time.....You just dont know what you dont know.....

Send the boys in Lynch a well wishing Scottie.....
You cooking with your FEC anywhere next weekend?

and i thought i could not understand the rules.. lol haha
it specifically says and i read it just like you did.. it says nothing about primary heat source in my argument.. read it over and over again and understand it.. if the pellets are lite by that stupid little heating elements which is electrical while the competition meat is on the smoker or cooking devise than it is illegal period.. if you light it the first 4 minutes and then put in your meat it is good to go. if you dont and start it with you meat inside it is technically a disqualification.. also if it reignites itself than it is also illegal..

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced
draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted,
except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not
be built on the ground.

2008 rules are clear, that starting your fire with electric is legal provided that there is no meat in/on the cooker.

exactly jorge.. but if you put the meet in there and then turn on your fec 100 and start the pellets going it is illegal.. and if the pellets run out or need to be reignited during the cooking process it is illegal..

KC_Bobby
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM
hold your temp without the electric.. without a guru or stoker.. obviously if you want to win you have to but i am guaranteeing it still does not come out perfect with out something like a fec 100

Is it safe to assume you clearly do not want to change your mind regardless of the facts? The last two winners of the American Royal Open cooked on trash cans and last year's Jack winner used a charcoal pit.

the cook is more important then the cooker

Scottie
10-22-2008, 03:18 PM
i still do not think that constant temp control that is electric should be allowed into competitions.. there is no brains to it..

i dont care if you can make the best bbq sauce or the best rub in the darn universe.. if you can not keep your smoker at a solid 240 or whatever you want then you should be smoking bbq.. just my opinion...

Tell ya what. You pay me to come and I will do just that. If you think I can't cook an any smoker, I guess you'll be surprised... I'll even go one step further. I'll cook on the exact same cooker as you, give you all of my recipies and seasonings and still beat ya. Is that what you want?

come on now. It's starting to get insulting.

Jorge
Good luck when the fishing picks up.

Bentley

I think you missed a "not" in that top statement or you have me pegged, thats why I smoke!

I understand your point. You feel that a person should have to maintain the pit temp manually. Fair enough. Can you elaborate on why?

I did it for a few years before my Traeger, I know how to, did not like the hassle, and feel the pellets make a better product. If I can get certified as a stick burner can I use my pellet cooker in a competition? :razz:

Scottie
10-22-2008, 03:20 PM
and if the pellets run out or need to be reignited during the cooking process it is illegal..

I know if my smoker goes out and I have to relight it... I take all of the meat out and bring over another team as a witness to my site, so they can watch me re-light my cooker. Just so I don't have a pellet hater come along and say I cheated.

Ron_L
10-22-2008, 03:22 PM

One of the best points in this thread. One of the most successful competitions cook, Rod from Pellet Envy wins equally with his FEC as he does with his Geer stick burner. If his success was simply due to using a pellet burner he would tank every time he drags out the Geer.

Pellet cooker IN MY PANTS!

Wrong thread :-D

Does is come on during the cook? I assumed it didnt

As mentioned, the igniter is on for the first three minutes. I don't know anyone who has the meat in the pit at that point. The only time the igniter would come on after that is if the fire went out. Technically you would have to remove the meat if that happened.

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Tell ya what. You pay me to come and I will do just that. If you think I can't cook an any smoker, I guess you'll be surprised... I'll even go one step further. I'll cook on the exact same cooker as you, give you all of my recipies and seasonings and still beat ya. Is that what you want?

did you see your name on that comment?!? nope.. would pay for it anyway.. but whatever.. this isnt my life sorry.. just feel strongly about it.. and i corrected alot of my statements scottie.. read back.. dont getting insulted it was not intended that way.. i am sure you can cook your arse off.. but the rules are the rules and i know you follow them so chill sucka. lol haha

Good luck when the fishing picks up.

thanks man.. got some keeper stripers thus far.. but not enough!! need some big boys to come around!!

I think you missed a "not" in that top statement or you have me pegged, thats why I smoke!

I understand your point. You feel that a person should have to maintain the pit temp manually. Fair enough. Can you elaborate on why?

I did it for a few years before my Traeger, I know how to, did not like the hassle, and feel the pellets make a better product. If I can get certified as a stick burner can I use my pellet cooker in a competition? :razz:

missed a few things you farking stick burner. lol

Mokin Bandit
10-22-2008, 03:24 PM
This thread made me laugh. People defending their pellets, people hating the pellets. Although new to competing, I'll enjoy the win no matter what and the lose with the hang over I'll more than likely have.

And I love being involved more with my food so I choose a stick burner and my WSM's. Although the WSM is pretty easy in itself.

There are a few people in this thread I also feel might need a swift kick in the bum.

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:24 PM
i know if my smoker goes out and i have to relight it... I take all of the meat out and bring over another team as a witness to my site, so they can watch me re-light my cooker. Just so i don't have a pellet hater come along and say i cheated.

and like i said.. If kcsb rules apply then you def. Cheat if you do not do that and start it with the meat on it electrically.

KC_Bobby
10-22-2008, 03:26 PM
We better make Rod aware that the Pelletburners cheat so the rule can get changed. :rolleyes:

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 03:27 PM
We better make Rod aware that the Pelletburners cheat so the rule can get changed.:-D:rolleyes::eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bentley
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I know if my smoker goes out and I have to relight it... I take all of the meat out and bring over another team as a witness to my site, so they can watch me re-light my cooker. Just so I don't have a pellet hater come along and say I cheated.

You are better than me. I have never paid close enough attention to that rule, not that I was trying to cheat, just never dawn on me till this thread. Guess I should have been DQed at a few contest? Not gonna sit hera and blow smoke..I know I have re-started my unit at contest with meat on. Just never crossed my mind, I have never paid close enough attention to that rule. OK, who wants to buy a WH and an 075?

Bentley
10-22-2008, 03:32 PM
One of the best points in this thread. One of the most successful competitions cook, Rod from Pellet Envy wins equally with his FEC as he does with his Geer stick burner. If his success was simply due to using a pellet burner he would tank every time he drags out the Geer.

Well this maybe an upopular point of view but what the hey!

Once you learn to cook the meat correctly, its a sauce contest anyway!

KC_Bobby
10-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Rod won 2 comps in one weekend with his Geer.

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:36 PM
rod won 2 comps in one weekend with his geer.

thats a good weekend!! Dayyam!!!!

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 03:37 PM
If I turn off my cooker and back on, it will turn on the ignitor. Again, the BTU's from the hot rod are so minimal that the KCBS BOD ruled that this is not a true "heat source".

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 03:38 PM
thats a good weekend!! Dayyam!!!! Must of been all that sweet baby rays he uses:rolleyes:

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:42 PM
If I turn off my cooker and back on, it will turn on the ignitor. Again, the BTU's from the hot rod are so minimal that the KCBS BOD ruled that this is not a true "heat source".

your missing the point... the rule has nothing to do with heat source.. that is not what i mean.. if you turn off your cooker and back on and the it turns on the ignitor with the food in there you were in an infraction of rule #5. you can not like your wood electrically.

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
your missing the point... the rule has nothing to do with heat source.. that is not what i mean.. if you turn off your cooker and back on and the it turns on the ignitor with the food in there you were in an infraction of rule #5. you can not like your wood electrically.Are you coming to Sayville this weekend?

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Must of been all that sweet baby rays he uses:rolleyes:

i bet if we took an annonimous or however you spell it poll i bet you would find that 75+ percent of the bbq circuit used store bought sauces..

not that there is anything wrong with that.. just making a comment here..

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Are you coming to Sayville this weekend?
'

you already got an answer via pm.. my farking wife has my farking bizzles in her purse. lol haha

got a baby on the way in 2 weeks.. never know what could happen and being 3 hours away aint enough time and i want to see the birth of my child. lol haha

so i can teach her house to use a pellett smoker. lol

toys4dlr
10-22-2008, 03:44 PM
OK, so all of you Pellet Heads that realize that you are cheaters, I will clear your conscience. Please place your FEC's, treager's and other pellet poopers out on the street and I will be by to take them off your hands. Just PM the exact address and I will be sure to come on by. Now everyone feels better.

Lord knows my stoker powered Stumps is not cheating, because I use a 12 volt battery, not electricity to run the stoker. That and it really is an offset in operations. So at least I am not cheating.

Don't forget to PM the address of these cheating FEC's, you will feel better. Kinda like repenting at church.

Sledneck
10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
'

you already got an answer via pm.. my farking wife has my farking bizzles in her purse. lol haha

got a baby on the way in 2 weeks.. never know what could happen and being 3 hours away aint enough time and i want to see the birth of my child. lol haha

so i can teach her house to use a pellett smoker. lolYou are correct I just wanted you to publicly admit that you are a woman:tongue:

Countryhb
10-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I cook my food using farts...I am OLD SCHOOL!

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 03:49 PM
your missing the point... the rule has nothing to do with heat source.. that is not what i mean.. if you turn off your cooker and back on and the it turns on the ignitor with the food in there you were in an infraction of rule #5. you can not like your wood electrically.

You are missing MY point. The KCBS BOD has already reviewed this situation where a Hot Rod comes on during a cook. It is NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT against the rules if the hot rod comes on.

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I cook my food using farts...I am OLD SCHOOL!

Is that why it tastes like chit?

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:51 PM
You are missing MY point. The KCBS BOD has already reviewed this situation where a Hot Rod comes on during a cook. It is NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT against the rules if the hot rod comes on.

than they need to change the rule.. because it specifically says different. if it comes on and LIGHTS the pellets again it is illegal..

and hey sled... i did admit it now.. but i will send matt up with some good espresso beans for yah!! LOL

Countryhb
10-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Is that why it tastes like chit?
I don't know...I've never tasted chit or my food!! :biggrin:

BBQSMYBFF
10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
i just got off the phone with the executive of KCBS and they stated that if the auger does not allow the pellets to continue to burn on their own and the pellet fire goes out..

you must bring over another team and have them witness that the meat is being taken off the cooker and relit.. once relit you can replace the meat.

they also said and makes me a little sad,"no one would know but you."

Countryhb
10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
It seems more than BBQ is your beef today...

KC_Bobby
10-22-2008, 04:04 PM
So pelletheads ... how long would it take to cook two packers and 3 butts using the hot rod alone ... no pellets? A week? A month? Never, because you wouldn't be able to get your pit up over the temp you want your meat to cook too?

paydabill
10-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow - I have never thought about the hot rod being illegal.

Hmm - I guess it would be an infraction on the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law. I remeber the day I hated pellet cookers. COuld not stand them, would never use them.

I own two.

big brother smoke
10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
You know I used to act this way when I was married and not getting enough nookie!:biggrin::tongue:

bbqbull
10-22-2008, 05:02 PM
You know I used to act this way when I was married and not getting enough nookie!:biggrin::tongue: :eek:

And is this sanctioned by KCBS?

Butts-n-gutts
10-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Come on down south, I did a South Carolina BBQ association contest. They dod not have any rules about your cooker, you just have to cook it on site, Propane Charcoal Wood Pellet, heck you could even boil it you want, you just have to cook it on site.
I did not see any electric cookers but I think we were one of maybe 3 teams not using gas at least at some point in the cook.
As I said before it does not matter to me what you want to cook on at the comp. Just dont be an a** if you are nearby, I want to have fun its the weekend

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 06:17 PM
i just got off the phone with the executive of KCBS and they stated that if the auger does not allow the pellets to continue to burn on their own and the pellet fire goes out..

you must bring over another team and have them witness that the meat is being taken off the cooker and relit.. once relit you can replace the meat.

I was in the meeting when this was discussed. They ruled that it wasn't an issue.

The hot rod produces the same amount of heat as a BIC lighter.

Ron_L
10-22-2008, 06:18 PM

Is it really that big of a deal to you that you called the KCBS?

We've beat this one to death is several threads. Until the board changes the rules, pellet cookers are legal. The heat source is wood in the form of pellets. Several of the competition cooks who use pellet cookers have said that they would take their meat out of the cooker if they had to relight their pit. in fact, Scottie said exactly what the KCBS executive said on the phone. Can we put this to bed now? Don't we have more important things to discuss? Like sand vs. water, beans or no beans or fat cap up or fat cap down? :biggrin:

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 06:22 PM
If the power goes out and back on again, the hot rod will come on for four minutes. Every cooker with a Traeger controller (and hot rod still connected) will act this way. If you trip their power and flip it back on, you've just DQ'd every pellet team.

The fire never went out, but the hot rod is activated at that point. You can't turn it off without cutting the wire.

pigmaker23
10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
this thread is so farkin funny, you could not make this chit up ! some people really need to use the spell check mod however, now what are we going fight about in January ?:-P

Plowboy
10-22-2008, 06:32 PM
this thread is so farkin funny, you could not make this chit up ! some people really need to use the spell check mod however, now what are we going fight about in January ?:-P

Unfortunately... this.

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
laughing, and, how buying rubs is not really bbq either, because it did not come from the cupboard....

Butts-n-gutts
10-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Anybody know the record for a thread? This one has passed 130 posts in only 8 hours, on a weekday. I guess alot of workis being done by the bretheran today.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
laughing, and, how buying rubs is not really bbq either, because it did not come from the cupboard....

You gotta do better than that:rolleyes:

Westexbbq
10-22-2008, 06:54 PM

We've beat this one to death is several threads. Until the board changes the rules, pellet cookers are legal. The heat source is wood in the form of pellets. Several of the competition cooks who use pellet cookers have said that they would take their meat out of the cooker if they had to relight their pit. in fact, Scottie said exactly what the KCBS executive said on the phone. Can we put this to bed now? Don't we have more important things to discuss? Like sand vs. water, beans or no beans or fat cap up or fat cap down? :biggrin:

Thanks Ron,
Water,
no beans,
up or down, depends on my mood and the cut,
(on my stickburner)

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 06:55 PM
hmmmmmm,:cool:, I will have to get the juices flowing now.....

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 06:55 PM

And some people need to use the oh chit I forgot a word button. If your gonna throw stones, make sure you put your guard up!:razz:

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 06:59 PM
ok, how about a thread on qualifiers.....if there are 23 teams at a contest, and we pull 2 teams off the street, donate the meat to them, and give them a charbroil grill, should it still count as an actual contest qualifier?

Bigmista
10-22-2008, 06:59 PM

My Spicewine does. So do my UDS's.

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Thermometers, are they just an advancement on technology?...or, just cheating because you know the temp of the meat?

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Thermometers, are they just an advancement on technology?...or, just cheating because you know the temp of the meat?

Getting better!:wink:

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 07:06 PM
My Spicewine does. So do my UDS's.

I agree on the spicewine, don't have a uds!

U2CANQUE
10-22-2008, 07:10 PM
hmm, maybe dealing with the psych patients all day has me a little off of my game today.......will have to come up with controversial topic......since we are mainly passing the time because a large contingent of the group is actually sitting in TN

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Arguments keeps this website interesting, because at the end of the day or next comp we can still get together and get wasted and have a great time. If everyone kissed each others arses all the time it would be about as fun as watching oprah! I know all the oprah lovers will comment now!

keend
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Have not seen this much action since COWGIRL joined....cool! :wink:

Ford
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
than they need to change the rule.. because it specifically says different. if it comes on and LIGHTS the pellets again it is illegal..

What a fun thread. But you miss an important point. If the power goes out and I switch over to a battery backup and restart the rod comes on. But it does not ignite the pellets as they are still burning. The fire is still going. So it's legal and that's what the BOD says.

More education. If the auger jams for a period of time and the fire goes out and then the auger starts working it will fill up with pellets without the igniter coming on. And you pray that it doesn't suddenly catch with a pot full of pellets - anybody here remember 2007 Mt. Vernon? What a mess but at least before the food went on. Same as with a stick burner, you can start it with a weed burner but if you sue one when the meat is on the pit it's a DQ. I know many teams have had the fire go out on a stick burner at 5 am and other than a match and paper there's no way to start it. Can't use lighter fluid or gas assist with the meat on.

Bottom line, if the pit is cold and meat is in it and you push start that is technically using electric per rule 5 except the rule says electric heat source and as it has been detailed here the igniter is not a heat source per the BOD.

Now to debunk one last myth. They are not set it and forget it. What can go wrong: power outage, auger jam, auger keeps feeding, thermostat goes out, fan stops. Just to name a few. I get more sleep than with a stick burner but I'm awake as often. The old Klose gave me 90-120 minute burns between adding wood. I had to get up walk to the cooker and add fuel, adjust air and back to sleep in 10 minutes. Now if I have my chair setup right, open eyes, look at lights and temp readings then back to sleep.

Had an auger jam at Silver Lake this year on rib cooking FE and it happened just after foiling. Didn't check for 2 hours and a cold cooker with meat that missed 2 hours cooking. Into the other FE up to 350 and got a call in ribs.

Ford
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Arguments keeps this website interesting, because at the end of the day or next comp we can still get together and get wasted and have a great time.
Speak for yourself. Doctor says behave so one large Jack on Friday night if I'm lucky. Now if we get rained in Saturday and can't make it home then it's an act of God and even the Doctor understands that. Anybody remember Saturday night at Fairbanks?

Muddy River Boy
10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
In my humble opinion:

Cooking on a pellet cooker is kinda like entering a brand new corvette into a car show. Yea your probably going to place or even win. What kind of satisfaction is that??

On the other hand building your own hot rod from the ground up and then entering it into that same contest. Wouldnt you get a little more satisfaction??????

I personally dont care what anybody else cooks on. I am going to do what I do. I can control that. I cannot control what other people do.

It boils down to this for me: I feel that I am having to control Mother Nature with my pit. While someone who is cooking on a pellet cooker is controlling a thermostat.

Right or wrong is not the question,

The question is am I cooking to the best of my abilities no matter what everybody else is doning???????

Smoke On

clint

watertowerbbq
10-22-2008, 09:37 PM

for the record,

water, beans and fat cap down (smart ass mod) :-D:-D

Bentley
10-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Arguments keeps this website interesting, because at the end of the day or next comp we can still get together and get wasted and have a great time. If everyone kissed each others arses all the time it would be about as fun as watching oprah! I know all the oprah lovers will comment now!

Wow, I might be posting more at the CBBQA if there were a few more with your attitude over there...To many people over there have to be loved by everyone, cant rock the boat, they might not like me!

HoDeDo
10-23-2008, 07:36 AM
If a pellet fell in the woods.... would you hear it scream..... oh hell nevermind. On to Tullahoma!!!!

Smoke on!!!

Sticks-n-chicks
10-23-2008, 07:43 AM
If a pellet fell in the woods.... would you hear it scream..... oh hell nevermind. On to Tullahoma!!!!

Smoke on!!!

I beleive the saying is...if a pellet fell in the woods would it wake up the pellet head getting a good night sleep...yes I am jealous....:sad:

U2CANQUE
10-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Anybody remember Saturday night at Fairbanks?
I do believe that would be the 10.5 inches and funnel clouds in the morning....yeah, the one that actually ate my board on my FEC....thank God we had the other smoker.....

U2CANQUE
10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
If a pellet fell in the woods.... would you hear it scream

Ok, to the corner you go.....

Plowboy
10-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Smoke on!!!

If a tree shat in the woods.... you'd have pellets. (Tree Turds)

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
"Hey buddy got any pellets?"

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Stop with the jokes I cannot stay in my seat!:rolleyes:

U2CANQUE
10-23-2008, 09:18 AM
If a tree shat in the woods.... you'd have pellets. (Tree Turds)

Now I have a flashback to the one time that some moisture got into the hopper....ewwww, peptobismol moment....

The Pigman
10-23-2008, 09:26 AM
You are a pellet head in the making Sled... I can get 14 hours of burn out of my WSM... Without ever having to play with fire or charcoal or lump...
Scottie I dont have anything against pellet ones love going around making sure they are all awake at dawn dont want anyone missing the sun coming up. Love my lang and the comp so far. This is my 1st year and went up against some of you big boys at Kettering for my 1st comp. and did real good. I like tending the fire and probullay will for a long time. That for me is the fun of smoking. While you guys sleep we eat ribs and fatties and look trashed the next day but thats ok too. Good luck too all that compete.......

The Pigman
10-23-2008, 09:36 AM

Scottie I am still learning and could use some reciepes and dont care if I get beat.....so why waste them there when some of us that want to learn could use them

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I use bbqrs delight smoke stix (http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/whatsnew.html)in my wsm's which is basically a big oversize pellet. Does that make me a cheater as well?

Scottie
10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Scottie I am still learning and could use some reciepes and dont care if I get beat.....so why waste them there when some of us that want to learn could use them

They don't seem to work in Ohio though... :roll:

BBQSMYBFF
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I use bbqrs delight smoke stix (http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/whatsnew.html)in my wsm's which is basically a big oversize pellet. Does that make me a cheater as well?

if you plug it in and light it. lol

maybe you can throw some espresso beans into the flame with your fire and make some good old espresso ribs..

judges would be all jacked up like a kid on crack.lol

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Depends how it makes you feel.:icon_smil

Sledneck
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
if you plug it in and light it. lol

maybe you can throw some espresso beans into the flame with your fire and make some good old espresso ribs..

judges would be all jacked up like a kid on crack.lol
Only if it smothered in sweet bay rays and store bought rub:rolleyes:

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Only if it smothered in sweet bay rays and store bought rub:rolleyes:

Again it depends how it makes you feel inside!:roll:

U2CANQUE
10-23-2008, 10:14 AM
They don't seem to work in Ohio though... :roll:

Come on Scottie, one contest......you heading back again next summer?

Scottie
10-23-2008, 10:29 AM
No clue what I am doing for next summer. It fit my schedule this year. Also told Jim I would make it... I have no reason not to return. Judges didn't like my product that day. Oh well.

U2CANQUE
10-23-2008, 10:37 AM
but, your consistency speaks for itself, a nice little run you have had this fall.......

Scottie
10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I just did a little modifcation on the Pickled Pig site... I can't even talk trash to Rod of Pellet Envy.. As he is on the road to mecca... But I've got him in points... At least from 9/1/08... It's my claim to fame. Well, also back this year when I won Felda... I was the KCBS points leader for a month... :oops:

Consistency is what I strive for... Main reason I cook on a FE...

U2CANQUE
10-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Consistency is what I strive for... Main reason I cook on a FE...Ditto.....
I got off to a half way decent start first comp solo.....looking forward to seeing how I measure up down at Hogg Happenin' in Shelby.....
and yeah, Rod is on a Superhighway to infamy....
I want to be a Envious-Plow-Sucks some day........grins, had to throw a few pellet heads in the mix there......

monty3777
10-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Since I didn't want to troll through 12 pages of replys and rebuttals - I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Why not simply have different categories in major comps? If you cook on a pellet smoker - cook against other pellet smokers. If, like me, you cook with wood only - why not have a category for stick burners? I think that would be kind of fun. Wouldn't work in smaller comps - but why not at the Jack?

Scottie
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
to be considered the best of the best, you have to go head-to-head... I can not see the Jack or any other established contest doing this. Heck it was hard enough for them to get LPQue off the ground and that only lasted one year. Although there is always talk of more...

Dale P
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
As long as everyone has the right to use a PCer Im all for it. We do throw in a handful of pellets into our Spicewine just so we can call it a pellet cooker. Its our policy.

Ford
10-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I do believe that would be the 10.5 inches and funnel clouds in the morning....yeah, the one that actually ate my board on my FEC....thank God we had the other smoker.....
That was Friday night. You guys got towed out and left Saturday. Some of us hunkered down around the picnic table with a bottle or 3 of adult beverages to pass around taking shots. Put everybody but Pig Pac to bed. Decided that if I wanted to live I better quit then, cause those boys know how to party.

Stoke&Smoke
10-23-2008, 04:47 PM
There is an electric element in there to light the fire pot. It turns off after 5 minutes I believe. I have mine disconnected and use a Mapp torch to light my pellets. Mostly because my pit gets up to temp a lot faster that way. So in answer to your question. The electricity doens't play any part in heating the pit. The heat is generated by the burning of wood. Wood pellets. Which is why pellet cookers are allowed in KCBS contests.

Hope this helps.

Scottie, just for the sake of clarity, the only thing the electricity is for is starting the pellets, as you said, and also to drive the auger to feed them into the burner part as needed, correct?

I'm still ok with my bullets, but sometimes in bad weather it'd be nice to have the insulation of one of those bad boys!

Scottie
10-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Runs the board, auger and glow stick. Although the new FEC's are drop delivery for the pellets.

Stoke&Smoke
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Might have to break the piggy bank.....although I have to say those Spicewine's look nice too!

I think actually for now we'll stick to the bullets. We can worry about the cookers when we get more consistent product. Might think about paying for those recipes though!:mrgreen:

And for the record, we don't use stokers or guru's, but I don't hate those that do. Ours seem to hold temp long enough for me to sleep some. I could keep temp for hours longer using briquettes, but like the taste from the lump better, so I get up once to re-stoke. No big deal!

This thread was a helluva funny read!

Rub
10-23-2008, 08:23 PM
TIME OUT...

In a week from now ANY and ALL types of pits from across the country, manned by the "Best of the Best", will be going head to head at an invitational in Douglas GA. Pellets, stick burners, electric, propane, charcoal, whatever your poison. It's a great contest and always a lot of fun.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled horse beating 8-)

The_Kapn
10-23-2008, 08:30 PM
TIME OUT...

In a week from now ANY and ALL types of pits from across the country, manned by the "Best of the Best", will be going head to head at an invitational in Douglas GA. Pellets, stick burners, electric, propane, charcoal, whatever your poison. It's a great contest and always a lot of fun.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled horse beating 8-)

AMEN Rub,

You forgot to mention that the purse is HUGE :lol:
But, let's keep that to ourselves--OK?

See Ya there!

TIM