PDA

View Full Version : Cubanelle?

JimT
10-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Due to a little grocery store boo-boo, I've got a dozen or so of these peppers to play with. I hadn't heard of them until today, so have no idea what they might be good for.

Anyone use these? Do they need to be roasted and peeled like an Anaheim or Poblano? Or are they more like a bell, wax or hungarian pepper? What would you use them for (or in.)

Thanks,

JimT

MilitantSquatter
10-18-2008, 05:52 PM
There were a staple is my house growing up and I still eat them regularly...

We call them Italian Frying Peppers... they are sweet peppers.

My favorite is to just cut them cut into medium pieces, sautee them with olive oil and garlic, add in some tomato sauce, S&P, some grated cheese and then go to town on it with a loaf of Italian bread.

They are also good diced up and sauteed with onions and garlic, and added to scrambled eggs, red pepper flakes and ham or genoa salami.

They are also good sliced down the middle and stuffed with meat, rice, etc.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Like Vinny said, these were staple is my house growing up. In fact and they are a staple in my house today.

I like to fry them very slowly with several cloves of garlic until they are soft.
Once cooked, I add salt and put them on a loaf of bread with a little cheese and then go to paradise.

These are great on any sammie.

Mark
10-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Cubanelle's have a little heat; so they're not really "sweet." They would be really good cut into "boats" and stuffed with ground sausage/cheese and smoked for a few hours.