PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the probe?

71-South
10-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Is there any trick on where to put the probe on a packer? Point or flat? Any particular place beyond that?

My plan is to go to 160° or 165°, foil, then go to 195° or so and start checking for 'doneness'. I'm guessing the probe should be in the middle of the flat, but I'm having a senior moment.

Thanks,
Bret

Kevin
10-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I put the probe in the middle of the flat as you said. The point gets separated when the flat is done and goes back in for burnt ends.

71-South
10-18-2008, 11:28 AM
That's a good point (pardon the pun) -- that the temp of the point doesn't matter that much since I'm going to do burnt ends anyway. Thanks.

rcubed3r
10-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I will move the probe around a bit until I find the lowest reading, especially in poultry. I don't want to be in fat, a juice pocket or on a bone when I am temping!

Ron

71-South
10-18-2008, 03:20 PM
I thought about that, but I didn't want to put too many holes in the meat. It's not a comp, so I probably shouldn't care. I'm just feeling pretty today.

Jorge
10-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I thought about that, but I didn't want to put too many holes in the meat. It's not a comp, so I probably shouldn't care. I'm just feeling pretty today.

Just make sure it's in the flat/meat and not fat.:redface: There should be no need to ask me why I remember that:lol:

71-South
10-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Just make sure it's in the flat/meat and not fat. There should be no need to ask me why I remember that.

Had a medium rare skit one time, did ya?

The problem is that I don't know how to make sure it's in the meat and not the fat unless I poke a few holes and look for the lowest temp like Ron suggested. What if it were for a comp?

I'm probably over thinking this.

Jorge
10-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Had a medium rare skit one time, did ya?

The problem is that I don't know how to make sure it's in the meat and not the fat unless I poke a few holes and look for the lowest temp like Ron suggested. What if it were for a comp?

I'm probably over thinking this.

If you haven't overconsumed like I had at that point in the night you should be fine. Slide a probe through muscle, slowly, I can feel the muscle fiber. If I'm in fat it's nice and smooth.

71-South
10-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I'm a couple of years away from wanting to compete anyway (3 kids - 7, 4, and 1). I'm sure I'll get a feel for it by that time. Thanks.