PDA

View Full Version : Feeding People in a Bar

Lakeside Smoker
10-09-2008, 09:56 AM
I was just asked to serve my pulled pork to a local Knights of Columbus bar room. They have a workable commercial kitchen that is inspected and approved by the local health department. I have been there many times and on Friday nights they have a good size crowd. I've never done something like this and would love any input good or bad.

Thanks
Mike

Arlin_MacRae
10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
It sounds like a golden opportunity to me, Mike. Congrats!

BBQ Grail
10-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Obviously you've already impressed someone with your pulled pork. Just do what you do and do it well.

big brother smoke
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
You need help with quantities or something? How many people do you guesstimate?

BTW: Congrats!

Ashmont
10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Golden opp! That's a great angle for a caterer. Next you will be hunting down VFW, American Legions, most that have a building will have a kitchen an Bar. Even Churches that have school usually have Kitchens. You could do Parish picnics and such. Good luck were all counting on you!

Lakeside Smoker
10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I was thinking on making enough for 50 sammies and maybe serving them with one side. The management said it was entirely up to me; they are just doing this as a service to their members.
Price per plate?

BBQ Grail
10-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Make sure you run out! In this type of situation I think it's a good marketing ploy to sell out. Will make people that didn't buy one this time to want one next time.

big brother smoke
10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I was thinking on making enough for 50 sammies and maybe serving them with one side. The management said it was entirely up to me; they are just doing this as a service to their members.
Price per plate?

$6.00 -$7.00 per plate YMMV state to state

BobBrisket
10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
People, BBQ, bar, and booze..............that's a winning combo in my book. This is just me, but want to make plenty and feed as many people as possible as they may become future clients for their private parties, etc.
Are they buying the food for you to cook or are you buying it and then selling it? I would think that would make a difference as well. If I was buying and then selling, I wouldn't want to have a lot left over and eat into my profits. If they are buying just to feed the customers, I'd make more and then they can have the leftovers. I'd go for 100 sammies if they buying. Then maybe the 50 if I was buying and selling. Course I don't cater so what I said may not even be worth 2 cents. Good luck. Sounds like a really good time. You may want to ask them for an average head count on the day you will be doing this to give you a better idea.

Cabntmkr1
10-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Congratulations!
Be sure to take photos and post on here, bro!

The Pigman
10-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Congrats take alot of business cards.....Keri's Hog Apple beans go well with booze and have fun.............cant go wrong.

Lakeside Smoker
10-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Mike

Bbq Bubba
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Make sure you run out! In this type of situation I think it's a good marketing ploy to sell out. Will make people that didn't buy one this time to want one next time.

Bingo!!

Smoke on-site, you won't need any kind of permits.
Start with 50 sandwiches and serve slaw for the pork and beans as the side, you should be able to go $6 or 7 easy! That will make it worth your while.
If you sell out, adjust accordingly....once word spreads, look out!
Good luck and pics!! :cool:

Qcrue2U
10-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Congrats!! Golden opportunity...

Dr_KY
10-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I started doing Q at my local pub when the weather is nice and that turned into sponsorship for our contest, private party's for local people that visit the pub and I even managed to lock in a BBQ at a pub about a mile from here for a Halloween cook. I have been granted full use of the kitchen whenever I want it with no strings attached. Of course the landlord and his staff eat for free on the night and are left with a clean kitchen, a full bottle of homemade sauce and not a clue there was any food in the place at closing time.

I also get to use part of the deep freezer to store my bulk items year round.

This can be a huge open door for you so get after it and hang on tight.

EDIT-
I like to make things that are easy for people to eat standing so I go with chicken wrapped in bacon on wooden skewers, burgers, sausages on skewers and ABT's with a skewre in place if the toothpick holding three on each.

U2CANQUE
10-10-2008, 09:23 AM
If they have a grill/broiler consider serving pulled pork Quesadilla's. I made a mini-mint serviing them, and can start with cold pulled pork. Butter and your rub on the outside, inside pulled pork with shredded/pre-processed pepper jack cheese on the inside....served with a little cup of bbq sauce....I served them in a little boat cut into 1/4's, at any given time I had 5-8 on the grill at a time.....the rub crusts up great with the fire....but, yeah, setting it up as a first come, first serve, not a never-ending supply adds to the desire to come get it while the getting is good. I used to only do 5 racks of ribs a night, and everyone knew when they came out of the smoker, 8pm, and I never had a night where I did not sell all 5 within 5 minutes.

Dr_KY
10-10-2008, 09:32 AM
You guys wouldn't believe how tough it is to get those paper boat/ serving trays over here. I think they would be idea for PP sandwiches.

I have been on ebay but no one on this island has them!

U2CANQUE
10-10-2008, 10:53 AM
do you have a restaurant depot around?

U2CANQUE
10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
ugh, just noticed that island part

Dr_KY
10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
lol Ya they are behind the times over here. I jusy saw on the news the the movie 'Gone With the Wind' it showing at the moving picture theater.

Cabntmkr1
10-10-2008, 11:12 AM
lol Ya they are behind the times over here. I jusy saw on the news the the movie 'Gone With the Wind' it showing at the moving picture theater.
You always make me smile, Doc...:razz:

Dr_KY
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
You always make me smile, Doc...:razz:
Just imagine if I learned to type AND spell. :-D

Lakeside Smoker
11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow, tomorrows the night...and I'm a little nervous.
I decided on Pulled pork sammies, pickles, and a small bag of chips. I plan on feeding 50 but will have enough for 75. I have the butts injected and rubbed and they will go into the smoker around 1 AM. I'll try to post some pictures or at least give an update later this week. Thanks for your help!

Mike

JimDandysNYDan
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Good luck man....don't be nervous it will go great....looking forward to seeing the pron.

Dan

Ashmont
11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
No Pressure Really Nooooooooooo Pressure. What will happen is the same thing that happened to me this past weekend. A person that has previously had my PP. Cornered me after a after services event on Sunday. He asked for six cooked Butts. I bet you will be getting many more orders after the Pub Party

Dr_KY
11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Add some ABT's to the menu. After people have eaten and realising that some dont mix hydrolics with solids they go over VERY well as snacks.

WannaBeBBQueen
11-04-2008, 06:04 AM
you nervous? lol You'll be fine, good luck, don't forget the business cards!!

let us know how it goes :mrgreen: