PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a butt load of apples?

Ashmont
10-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I was called today by a (Cell phone free no the same one) co-worker that asked if I wanted any apples from his tree in his front yard. (I have first dibs on trimmings so dont ask). Going to do a family adventure with the kids and pick some Sunday. We did this prolly 5 years ago and had more apples than we knew what to do with before they went bad. Made apple sauce, caramel apples, apple pies forever.... Any other ideas? If I remember it was like 6 or 7 paper grocery bags full...

Mad Max
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
you can use them to stuff a pork loin, apple cobbler, apple juice or apple cider for the colder months.

Bbq Bubba
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Just take what ya can use......apple hog!! :twisted:

We can applesauce but not 6 bags worth. :shock:

BobBrisket
10-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I was called today by a (Cell phone free no the same one) co-worker that asked if I wanted any apples from his tree in his front yard. (I have first dibs on trimmings so dont ask). Going to do a family adventure with the kids and pick some Sunday. We did this prolly 5 years ago and had more apples than we knew what to do with before they went bad. Made apple sauce, caramel apples, apple pies forever.... Any other ideas? If I remember it was like 6 or 7 paper grocery bags full...

I'd keep some for myself and then rest would go to a Food Bank so that they didn't go to waste. There is only so much you can do with that may apples. Good way to teach the kids that through their hard work they can also help others. I'd even take them and have them take the apples themselves and really make them a part of it.

HB-BBQ
10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Maybe press some into juice or cider, apple stuffed pork loin/pork chops, apple butter...

rbinms33
10-02-2008, 03:45 PM
If you have a dehydrator or oven that will go low enough, dehydrate them. I don't know how long they'll last but I've got some that I dehydrated this spring and they're still good. I eat them plain or put them on top of oatmeal with a little cinnamon and brown sugar. Good stuff!!

Smokin Turkey
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Use them for alternative ammo in the potato gun :twisted:

or

Smok'em

Ashmont
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Use them for alternative ammo in the potato gun :twisted:

or

Smok'em

That will help speed up the apple sauce makin....

Ashmont
10-02-2008, 04:01 PM
ewww (IDEA MOD) has anyone ever tried dehydrated apples as a smokin fuel? hmm dont know if it will work or not... Might be toooooooooo sweet though....

jed
10-02-2008, 04:13 PM
You can sure make some good apple jack with them. That stuff can really creep up on you & make you hurt yourself. I know all the brethern drink responsibly.

jed

jestridge
10-02-2008, 04:21 PM
dried apples are good in old fashion stack cake or fried apple pies

BobBrisket
10-02-2008, 04:27 PM
ewww (IDEA MOD) has anyone ever tried dehydrated apples as a smokin fuel? hmm dont know if it will work or not... Might be toooooooooo sweet though....

Onion skins, pineapple skins and such make for great smoke when fresh. I would say they would work. I don't think they be too sweet at all. Where would you dry them out?

Ashmont
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Onion skins, pineapple skins and such make for great smoke when fresh. I would say they would work. I don't think they be too sweet at all. Where would you dry them out?

I just had the idea but either apple wedges or chunks dehydrated. Use them in conjunction with another wood. Removal of the H20 in the apples will make them sweeter IMHO. Dehydrate on pans in oven is what I am thinking.

Jaberwabee
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
I have been throwing them at all the geese at the lake. We have about 8 apple trees and for whatever reason this year, they all went nuts, and I didn't get time to thin them out earlier. I have a apple peeler/corer, and we peeled a 30 gallon trash can full of apples and divided them up and froze for pies.

BobBrisket
10-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I just had the idea but either apple wedges or chunks dehydrated. Use them in conjunction with another wood. Removal of the H20 in the apples will make them sweeter IMHO. Dehydrate on pans in oven is what I am thinking.

Heck if the weather is still pretty warm there, you could probably dry them outdoors. I'm thinking this would work.

MayDay
10-02-2008, 04:43 PM
We have several fruit trees. This year, we've had to pick all the plums and apples early because of ongoing bear raids. The bears have such a strong sense of smell, they'll raze a tree just for one single fruit at the top of the tree. They've already damaged 4 fruit trees this year and pretty well killed two. :mad:

Anyways, what you do with the apples depends on what you want as the end product. Perhaps you prefer to make jams, jellies or other preserves. You could also freeze apples whole or chopped (peeled and cored) for later use.

Here's what we do with our apples (WINE, frozen pulp and dried apples):

Sort fruit by size and quality.
Biggest and best are peeled, cored, sliced and dehydrated as 1/8" apple rings. Properly dried apples keep forever when stored in sealed mason jars or ziploc bags in a dry and cool place.
Medium-sized apples are peeled, cored and juiced for wine and fresh AJ, with the excess juice frozen. Exception: crab apples are juiced whole.

We've found that clean juicer juice (no peel, cores or seeds) makes high-quality apple wine with excellent body, low acid and great flavor!
Once you've tasted fresh AJ, you'll never buy store-bought AJ from concentrate again!

The clean pulp from the juicer is frozen for cooking (pies, breads, apple sauce, cobbler, stews, etc.) or dehydrated for fruit leather.
Small runty apples are eaten or used for cooking.
Tools we find indispensable for our fruit processing needs include a commercial fruit juicer with separate pulp bin; all-in-1 hand crank apple peeler, corer and slicing machines; and large 10-tray dehydrator.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

TNinSC
10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
You could make up some apple moonshine. Good stuff, I think I might have some left in the fridge.

kitch
10-02-2008, 05:04 PM
You could make up some apple moonshine. Good stuff, I think I might have some left in the fridge.

and how do I make that ;) --PM me if you want.

<hr>
or bait a deer this fall, shoot it, and have a straps for dinner.

tommykendall
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
That's a lot of apples. You should have requested the wood.

thirdeye
10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
How about an apple pie?? Watch this one a minute, it will cook right before your eyes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Cooking/pie.gif

keend
10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Make some apple wine. It turns our pretty good. You can find many recipies on the internet. Just make sure you use a recipe that uses real wine yeast and not bakers yeast.

SpammyQ
10-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I love making apple bisquick coffee cakes...take the cake recipe on the bisquick box, mix it up, lay it in a 9x11 pan, slice peeled and cored apples about 1/2" thick and lay them on top of the dough like ths:

))))))))))))
))))))))))))
))))))))))))

nice and close. sprinkle a mixture of brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon and bake. mmmm good.

Also great with peaches, plums, pears, etc.

BobF
10-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I have seen at least one sauce that list apples as an ingredient. Make BBQ sauce.

jbrink01
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Does nobody make Applebutter anymore? Easy in a crock pot and oh so good on biscuits!

wnkt
10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
cut a hole in top and core them out to get the seeds....stuff em with butter, brown sugar...whatever you like and grillem or smokem

Or Apple cobbler

Rookie'48
10-02-2008, 10:35 PM
cut a hole in top and core them out to get the seeds....stuff em with butter, brown sugar...

Or stuff with butter & part of a Snickers bar ..... low cal mod :eek:.

barbefunkoramaque
10-02-2008, 10:48 PM
hmmm 3 apples

StLouQue
10-02-2008, 11:15 PM
If I knew you better, I'd suggest grunting a lot. Instead, I'll just say... maybe consider storing them elsewhere in the future.

motley que
10-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I could use a bag if that helps