PDA

View Full Version : electric

285cracker
10-01-2008, 10:23 AM
The smoker I use is electric do you guys reccomend I go a different route

Arlin_MacRae
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh lord...brace yourself!! :shock:

Me, I'm a charcoal/stick burner. To me, Q is a labor of love and I enjoy spending the time tending the fire. Of course those nights can get cold and lonely! ;)

Arlin

deez20
10-01-2008, 11:02 AM
You should go with what works for you. I have electric and charcoal and both serve there purpose. The electric is nice when your in the mood for Q and don't really have the time to spend tending a fire or even better on rainy days when you don't want to get wet. If you want to try a charcoal smoker get yourself a WSM as there pretty easy to maintain temps on and produce excellent results.

Smokin Turkey
10-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I think electric works but that's all. Propane is another step up but it's just that. It works and doesnt do a wonderful job.

Charcoal and wood fire is hands down the best! (you can go all wood and do well too!)

I am an electric and propane hater (when it comes to smoking) so take that for what it is worth.

NelsonC
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
You can make perfectly good BBQ with Electric, Propane, Charcoal, Wood or Pellets, but many people will say that to have traditional BBQ you need to be cooking over some sort of wood for heat. I understand where they are coming from, and agree to an extent, but there is no reason you can't make good BBQ at home on electric.

That being said, I started out cooking on propane and electric because it was easy. I think its a great way for people to get started in the hobby because its relatively inexpensive and simple to operate. I switched to cooking over charcoal and wood for several reasons. First I find that I get a better flavor cooking this way, but thats highly subjective so everyone can have their own, perfectly valid opinion there. Second, I find I can have a greater range of control with fire than with an electric heating element. Third and most important for me was competition, electric and propane are not legal there, so I forced myself to learn fire control.

People say there is an art to making BBQ. The way I see it, the art is twofold. The first part is managing spices and meat prep to create a distinctive flavor. The second part is managing fire to cook the meat properly, and to impart distinctive smoke flavor. By going with an electric cooker, you remove one element of that 'art'.

My opinion is that electric is perfectly fine for starting out. When starting a new hobby, many people with failure the first time, will never try again. Going with a simple smoker will increase your chances of success the first time out of the chute. If you get serious though, you will eventually want a charcoal/wood burning cooker.

Just my two cents...

Rookie'48
10-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I've still got my ECB with the 110 volt mod. If you get a cast iron "smoke box", fill it with wood chunks & put it on the element you will get a smoke flavor. Not the same as with wood or charcoal but better than nothing. As I said, I still have this in my garage ..... burried deep in there, someplace ..... I think it's still there :rolleyes:.

BobBrisket
10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh boy, this is gonna get interesting. I have one of each. The electric Lil Chief is my go to for jerky. Not cause it's electric, but because all the grates let me hang lots of jerky. I've even done fatties and thighs in it. It all tasted dang good.
My gasser is a GOSM. Got this one when we had our first child as I could no longer do the allnighters with the old stick burner(diapers and midnight feedings mod.)
My old stick burner was a Brinkmann S&P. That unit showed me fire and temp managent for sure. Course it also needed lots of mods. After using the gasser exclusively for a few years, I realized I missed plaing with fire and got a WSM then I built a UDS. I refurbed an old bandera clone that I gave to my dad. Man, I realized how much fun it was to feed sticks into the fire box. Now I want to get me an offset so I can burn sticks too.

They all have their purpose. You need to find out what will work best for your needs. Believe me, you can turn out great Q with electric, gas, wood, coal. I do think there are differences in the end product depending what you cooked with, but I have yet to have anything terrible from a gas, electric, wood, or coal smoker.

If you decide to go to a coal model...........get a WSM. If you got some basic handyman skills..........build a UDS.

we'll smoke u
10-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Cracker witch ever one you like to use is fine every buddy has there favorite. I think you get a better flavor from charcoal/wood.

Just my two cents

Harbormaster
10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Yep. Whatever works for you is the best cooker for you to have.

Someone on here once said they love to Q because it's so . . . primal. That's my take too. And it's hard to be primal if you're using electricity.

Just my $.02

txschutte
10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I like charcoal/wood, but use what you like, and later give the others a try. Ya never know.

jestridge
10-01-2008, 05:37 PM
If you like the result from electric that fine but for myself stick that because I,m cheap.

kitch
10-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm going to explain this in an entirely different way.

As a kid you learned to play baseball with a plastic bat. With practice and jacked homers in the backyard and you impressed your family.

As you get older you used aluminum bats and with practice got better, make the team, and impressed the girls.

But with a wooden bat the history of the game and the fame of the fans all comes into play.

What I'm trying to say is I don't know......it started out good :(
I would suggest you try other Fuel sources and methods.
I don't own a Pellet, WSM, Egg, Plug in, etc...and I know I'm missing out on some cool things of each.

BBQ Grail
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I started on an electric ECB. After a while I decided I needed something else. I bought the Bandera, burned sticks for a while and then went minion. Then I bought an off-set..then I bought a WSM (and then another). I also have a propane GOSM that I use for abts and stuff.

Let nature take it's course. You'll end up with multiple cookers somehow...someway.