PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use a

jbrink01
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Boneless Shoulder instead of a Butt? Thoughts? Results? I cook them almost exclusively for catering and have gotten really comfortable with 'em........

Ashmont
10-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Yes I like them.. Last Jan did 60 with several cookers. I would say since you dont have the internal bone thermometer to pop out just keep a closer eye on temps. But having your experience. you will be fine.

jbrink01
10-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks Marty. I have always used Butts at contests, but started thinking about these. I'm using them for catering, why not contests!

Double D's BBQ
10-01-2008, 09:15 AM
We cooked with them twice (by accident). Both times the end result was that the pork category was our highest scoring category of the comp including a second place finish at Oinktoberfest two years ago.

That being said I still prefer bone in but don't panic should you accidently pick up a boneless. You'll do fine with it.

Ashmont
10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I do think they cool faster without the bone.

Sledneck
10-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I do both depending on what they have in stock and what looks better. The boneless does give you more bark

Neal
10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
We used to use them in competition because Costco doesn't sell bone-in. We have since switched back, but we did win 1st place pork with a boneless butt in the 07 Great American BBQ Invitational.

The one thing I don't like is that it seems like you can get a pretty torn-up peice of meat if the packing house gets crazy with the knife. Also, depending on how ripped up the meat is, you can end up with one part of the butt getting done much sooner than another part.

jbrink01
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
We used to use them in competition because Costco doesn't sell bone-in. We have since switched back, but we did win 1st place pork with a boneless butt in the 07 Great American BBQ Invitational.

The one thing I don't like is that it seems like you can get a pretty torn-up peice of meat if the packing house gets crazy with the knife. Also, depending on how ripped up the meat is, you can end up with one part of the butt getting done much sooner than another part.

I agree. We buy them by the case, so I will sort for the least damaged 4. I thought about tying it back into a whole piece for cookiing...

Ashmont
10-01-2008, 10:12 AM

I have saved the tore up ones and made ground breakfast sausage outta them.