PDA

View Full Version : Vendors at the Royal

rweller
09-30-2008, 09:18 AM
This will be my first time at the Royal (judging). Will there be Vendors selling rubs ect. I would imagine there would be but want to make sure. I have some things I want to get and thought I could save some shipping expenses by buying there if available.

lwest99
09-30-2008, 09:23 AM
I believe the KC BBQ Store is going to be there. They have tons of Rubs, sauces, etc. I am not sure exactly where they will be located but they should be easy to find.

NelsonC
09-30-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm in the same boat as you.... this will be my first time there too and I will also be a judge. I'm hoping that I will be able to compete there in a few years. From what I can see on the website, there is a vendor’s pavilion where you can buy products. I am also planning on visiting some local BBQ joints between judging as well as a BBQ store next to one of the Oklahoma Joe’s locations.

lwest99
09-30-2008, 09:39 AM
The BBQ store next to the OK Joes is the one that should also have a trailer at the Royal.

Plowboy
09-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Backyard Bash will also have a booth, I believe.

VGuilford
09-30-2008, 11:03 AM
There should be vendors set up in the AG hall across from the arena if I'm not mistaken.

Plowboy
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
From Backyard Bash today. NOTE: $199 WSM's.

Backyard Bash will be setting up shop at the American Royal BBQ Contest again this year! We’ll be offering a selection of BBQ sauces and seasonings, tools, accessories and, of course, grills and smokers. We hope you’ll stop by and say hello!

Take advantage of our show special on Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers! While supplies last, get a Weber Smokey Mountain for $199! Regular Price: $249. No rain checks.

Also, enter to win a 7-Piece Forschner Knife Set worth over $200! Just pop by our booth and fill out an entry form at the American Royal!

This year’s contest is open to competitors from Oct. 2nd through Oct. 5th, and to the general public from Oct. 3rd through October 5th. Just follow the cloud of sweet smelling smoke directly over the Royal!

voodoobbqIL
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
there will be plenty of vendors hawking their wares...

Rookie'48
09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I'll be there from Friday evening, judging on Sat & Sun. I'm still trying to figure out if I can bring in a cooler full of beer - hmmm - maybe if I said it was "supplies" for one of the teams??? :rolleyes:

lwest99
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I'll be there from Friday evening, judging on Sat & Sun. I'm still trying to figure out if I can bring in a cooler full of beer - hmmm - maybe if I said it was "supplies" for one of the teams??? :rolleyes:

Just tell them it is a cooler for your leftover judging samples. :lol:

thenewguy
09-30-2008, 10:56 PM
You have'nt seen Dave's cooler!:mrgreen:

KC_Bobby
09-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Dave, when do you plan on arriving at the Royal? If you get there before 3:00 on Friday I kinda doubt you will be searched.

QansasjayhawQ
10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Dave, when do you plan on arriving at the Royal? If you get there before 3:00 on Friday I kinda doubt you will be searched.
I agree - absolutely.

That was my experience last year - it was my first time there, I was totally unprepared. I bought my ticket at Hy-Vee in Lawrence Friday morning and left town about 7AM to be there right at 8AM

The gates were totally open - the main entry gate even still had the ticket booths laying there on the ground on their sides. I could have driven a vehicle in there it was so wide open.

The first security person I found, I offered my ticket to and she said that I should just hold onto it.

There was almost nobody up and around, so I just wandered around checking out smoker designs and catching a few good whiffs of stuff people had going.

It was hot so I finally left at about 2PM - still holding onto my ticket and wondering what all the big fuss was about . . .

Then I found out what the REAL hours are.

So . . . I'm better prepared to visit the competition this year.

Also - I volunteered to play table captain on Sunday . . .

KC_Bobby
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah, come early, get the beer in and find a home for it so you can check all the cool stuff out before the pack gets there. Then you won't have to tote it around all day as you check stuff out ... then come back to it when you do want to tote it around.

thenewguy
10-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Yup, get there before 3 and you can bring whatever you want.
I'm gonna be lookin all you guys up-I hope you start cookin early-I'll be hungry!

Rookie'48
10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Damn, I can't leave here until about 2 pm, won't be there till 5:30 or 6:00.