PDA

View Full Version : A1 or not

blues_n_cues
09-27-2008, 08:14 PM
would ya JUST SLAP SOMEONE silly(for using a1 or another slather sauce) after yer love on a great hunk a hide or use a flyswatter or boat oar ? another thread made me think of this....

BBQ Grail
09-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I posted awhile back about my mother putting mayo on my pulled pork when she made a sammie. I was insulted. But after consultation with several other brethren I have modified my indignation.

Do I want someone to put A1 Sauce on a good steak. No I don't. But I came to the conclusion that I'm cooking for them and not me. If A1 Sauce is what they like, then I'm going to let them do it without complaint.

If they are eating at my house there isn't much of a chance they are going to find a steak sauce.

When I adopted the "it's all about them" attitude those things stopped bothering me.

That doesn't keep me from complaining sometimes to my wife after they leave. But for the most part I just let it go.

Sledneck
09-27-2008, 08:36 PM
A1 is for brisket!

BBQ Grail
09-27-2008, 08:38 PM
1/4 cup of A1 and 1/4 cup of melted butter is an awesome baste for tri-tips.
Be careful it flares.

blues_n_cues
09-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I posted awhile back about my mother putting mayo on my pulled pork when she made a sammie. I was insulted. But after consultation with several other brethren I have modified my indignation.

Do I want someone to put A1 Sauce on a good steak. No I don't. But I came to the conclusion that I'm cooking for them and not me. If A1 Sauce is what they like, then I'm going to let them do it without complaint.

If they are eating at my house there isn't much of a chance they are going to find a steak sauce.

When I adopted the "it's all about them" attitude those things stopped bothering me.

That doesn't keep me from complaining sometimes to my wife after they leave. But for the most part I just let it go.
same here but... i leave A1 on the table cause i haven't beat anyone senseless w/ a boat oar lately.....:twisted:(remember i do live in kentucky now lol)

Bacon
09-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Great attitude.

To me ... steak sauce is the juice left after resting the steak.

MayDay
09-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I appreciate it when guests make the effort to actually TASTE THE FOOD AS COOKED instead of automatically adding or asking for additives, whether it be salt, A1, ketchup, soya, etc.

If, after the first bite, they choose to add something, then it's an informed choice. That tells me something about their taste preferences and food sophistication and also gives me an indication how my food rates with them. Course, it's all relative.... :cool:

Sledneck
09-27-2008, 09:05 PM
what is so wrong with A-1?

Azinine
09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
A-1 is only good for burgers IMO. Or a really crappy steak.

BBQ Grail
09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
what is so wrong with A-1?

Nothing if that's what you like. I suppose there's not a lot of difference between steak sauce and bbq sauce really.

I happen to like A-1 sauce, just not as a steak sauce. (Does that make sense?) A little A-1 sauce in sour cream tastes good on a baked tater.

Monty
09-27-2008, 09:13 PM
When i'm served a dry leathery POS by some forgettable person or place, i prefer Heinz 57! :biggrin:

jestridge
09-27-2008, 09:22 PM

That doesn't keep me from complaining sometimes to my wife after they leave. But for the most part I just let it go. I like that attitude you cooking for them not yourself. I enjoy feeding people nomatter what they use on their food. I have a nephew that put ketchup on everything

robinson
09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
A1 is for brisket!

You should be shot.

TNinSC
09-27-2008, 09:39 PM
If a piece of beef is cooked right, you don't need anything on it. Don't ruin a good piece of meat by covering up the taste.

MilitantSquatter
09-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm fine with people putting on whatever they want on their steak or anything else.

My soon to be 5 yr old daughter taught me a valuable lesson last week.

She was eating broccoli and asked for ketchup on the side. I said "eww".. With a straight face she said "Daddy, just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should say "eww".. If other people like something you don't, it doesn't matter what you like "...

I would never use A-1 on a top quality steak, especially a a great steakhouse, but if I'm eating at someone's house and it's an average overcooked steak, I think A-1 adds a nice flavor as long as it's not saturated..

FYI... A-1 has been around for over 100 yrs though with a few changes to to recipe over time..

You should be shot.

Kind of harsh for your first post.. don't ya think ??? :biggrin:

How about checking into Cattle Call and introducing yourself... looks like you've been lurking a while and probably have lots to share.

CajunSmoker
09-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm fine with people putting on whatever they want on their steak or anything else.

My soon to be 5 yr old daughter taught me a valuable lesson last week.

She was eating broccoli and asked for ketchup on the side. I said "eww".. With a straight face she said "Daddy, just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should say "eww".. If other people like something you don't, it doesn't matter what you like "...

I would never use A-1 on a top quality steak, especially a a great steakhouse, but if I'm eating at someone's house and it's an average overcooked steak, I think A-1 adds a nice flavor as long as it's not saturated..

FYI... A-1 has been around for over 100 yrs though with a few changes to to recipe over time..

Kind of harsh for your first post.. don't ya think ??? :biggrin:

How about checking into Cattle Call and introducing yourself... looks like you've been lurking a while and probably have lots to share.

LMAO:lol::lol:

I don't care what anyone else puts on their steak, I just care what goes on the one I'm eating:-P

Sledneck
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
You should be shot.As long as I am buried slathered in A-1 then fine

BBQ_MAFIA
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I think that people should eat things the way they want even though some of the stuff they do is beyond me. When I cook, the process is for me and the end resulting product is for who ever is eating. I always what the "eater" to be happy and wanting more.

Scrooge Fan
09-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I like to use A-1 or Heinz 57 for a slather rather than mustard. I can't taste mustard or A-1 in the final product, but my wife hates mustard so much she won't eat anything that has been near it. Makes a nice bark.

Pitbull
09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
A1 is only good on breakfast steaks and occasionally burgers.

vr6Cop
09-28-2008, 11:03 AM
A1 is an ingredient to use in sauces!

Fixed it for ya. :wink: :biggrin:

gotwood
09-28-2008, 11:18 AM
A1 on a sirlion cut is ok, It is NOT OK on a Ribeye....
A1 on a Chop Steak is good too.

on a side note I had a friend that put ketchup on his steaks...I wish it was at least A1

HoosierTrooper
09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
How is putting A-1 on meat any different than putting bbq sauce, rubs, Montreal Steak seasoning, salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, onions, relish, pickles, Tabasco sauce, etc etc etc on food?

Markbb
09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I like the A1 on a med.rare burger with sour cream....it's the texture and tang that really sets it off..

Ron_L
09-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I appreciate it when guests make the effort to actually TASTE THE FOOD AS COOKED instead of automatically adding or asking for additives, whether it be salt, A1, ketchup, soya, etc.

If, after the first bite, they choose to add something, then it's an informed choice. That tells me something about their taste preferences and food sophistication and also gives me an indication how my food rates with them. Course, it's all relative.... :cool:

That the way I feel too. It doesn't offend me if they add A1 or anything else if that's the way they like it.

BBQ Bandit
09-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Only use A1 or H57 when there's no other flavor that came with the steak.
(Gave up going to non-bbq joints... been too dissappointed too often)

ON THE FARM
09-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Ketchup on steak?

H#LL YA!!!
Its my steak and I will eat it the way I want.
Some times use it just to see some peoples reactions!!

Gary in Va
09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Hey, I've watched people put ketchup on my smoked prime rib.... I just cringe and try to put it out of my mind.

BBQchef33
09-28-2008, 03:52 PM
You should be shot.

I disagree.

shot is too quick

something to cause extended suffering is more appropriate.

backporchbbq
09-28-2008, 04:00 PM
That the way I feel too. It doesn't offend me if they add A1 or anything else if that's the way they like it.

I would have to agree. It annoys me when I cook and people automatically put salt, pepper or whatever. Taste the food first, I may have put in plenty of salt, if you had more it may ruin it. But to each is own, as long as my food is good that is what my taste buds care about. I hope others enjoy.

BobBrisket
09-28-2008, 04:24 PM
A-1 is only good for burgers IMO. Or a really crappy steak.
Ditto!

ON THE FARM
09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
It annoys me when I cook and people automatically put salt, pepper or whatever. Taste the food first, I may have put in plenty of salt, if you had more it may ruin it.

My dad owned an advertisement company, he would take new hires to dinner to a steak joint.
When the food came and they salted there food before they tasted it he would not hire them!
He said it showed him they would not try new things (he did not like "cookie cutter type" people).

jpw23
09-28-2008, 04:46 PM
My dad owned an advertisement company, he would take new hires to dinner to a steak joint.
When the food came and they salted there food before they tasted it he would not hire them!
He said it showed him they would not try new things (he did not like "cookie cutter type" people).heh! That reminds on a job interview I had many years ago at a Ponderosa Steak House.....the interview went well, the manager bought my dinner and sat with me, I put steak sauce on the steak before tasting it and lost the job. He did not want pre-concieved notions about the food, it should stand on its own but, after tasting if you put something on it....it was an informed decision. Lesson learned:biggrin:

Sledneck
09-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I disagree.

shot is too quick

something to cause extended suffering is more appropriate.hmmmm I cant seem to find those charcoal rings you need me to drop off tomorrow:tongue:

jestridge
09-28-2008, 05:07 PM
That what wrong with the world too many food snobs. I like spam, Big Mac, some junk food i like cook pork with kraut Like lot of thing that not acceotable to some people does that make me a bad person

Bigmista
09-28-2008, 05:13 PM
That what wrong with the world too many food snobs. I like spam, Big Mac, some junk food i like cook pork with kraut Like lot of thing that not acceotable to some people does that make me a bad person

mmmmm...A spam big mac with A1 and Sour Cream!

JohnMcD348
09-28-2008, 07:35 PM
mmmmm...A spam big mac with A1 and Sour Cream!

You're making my mouth water. Where's the pics..........mmmmmmmmmmm

Smokey Al Gold
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Eh who care's? Sometimes I like A-1 and sometimes I don't feel like A-1. Just depends but I think as a sauce it's pretty good and I'm sure we all grew up eating it so why make a big deal about it? Just enjoy what you cook and as long as other people enjoy it that's good enough for me. I've come to realize not everyone is as fanatic about grilling food as I am some people just don't really care.

tjus77
09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
As long as they don't cover a steak in ketchup, I don't care. But personally, I don't use anything on my steak, brisket or pork.

Sledneck
09-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Mmmmmmmmm the way it ought to be!

Gemp
10-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I got to get in on this one. I love A1.....I do a light glaze with A1 on all my steaks before I pull them off fire. After I glaze, it goes back in the fridge. Not on the table. I'm learning most people have plain taste food and you have to play to that.

1_T_Scot
10-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Suppose y'all would kick me out for Putting my wine in a plastic tumbler with Ice cubes! SNOBS.

My son whose favorite/only veggie is Catsup now eats Pulled pork and Brisket with no Catsup.

Smokin Turkey
10-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I used to hate A-1 until Burger King made the Overloaded Steak Burger. It has onion straws, bacon, mashed potatoes, A-1 sauce, and an Angus patty. I don't eat there often to know if it's still there but I had to split that baby with the wife it was so filling!