PDA

View Full Version : Couple O Questions

milehigh
09-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Smoked a 7 lb. butt on a medium BGE yesterday. At about the 11 hour mark. it got to 180 degrees and held. At the 12 hour mark it was not budging, and the dome temp was dropping. I was obviously running out of fuel.

1) How would you have finished the butt?

2) What is the longest cook have you done on a med. BGE ?

Paul

vr6Cop
09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I have had some butts stall at around 180, so I've stoked the fire and cranked up the heat to around 300 or so.

I have a large BGE, and I've had a 30 hour cook with a BBQ Guru. Once. The medium should be about the same as far as efficiency goes, and you should be able to run at least 20 hours no problem.

Ron_L
09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
If you can't get the Egg temp back up with a wiggle rod, foil the butt and put it in the oven to finish. It already has all of the smoke flavor it is going to pick up so using the oven wouldn't hurt anything.

bbqbull
09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
If you can't get the Egg temp back up with a wiggle rod, foil the butt and put it in the oven to finish. It already has all of the smoke flavor it is going to pick up so using the oven wouldn't hurt anything.

I agree with RonL.

milehigh
09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The Egg was to the point where i probably could have held at 200 for another hour or so. Thought about
1) moving to oven
2) Foiling and leave in the Egg
3) Remove grate,drip pan, and plate setter and add charcoal

Did #3 and got pit temp up to 300 and got to 190 degrees about and hour later. Foiled and coolered for another hour to finish. Came out great.
It is just kind of a PIA to break down the egg to add charcoal, especially when your that close.
Would you have foiled before putting in the oven?

Paul