PDA

View Full Version : Jalapeno Heaven

Plowboy
09-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Planted four plants late this year. Just getting around to harvesting the first crop. I'm usually getting a second crop at this point in the year.

Got my first ever red jalapeno. Anyone know how to get more red japs? Most of mine stay green and never go red. They are a bit on the small side. They were grown in a container instead of the ground.

Monty
09-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Got my first ever red jalapeno. Anyone know how to get more red japs? Most of mine stay green and never go red.

those look great! nicely done bro. :-D

Red jalapeno's are mature one's (left on vine). You had one turn red (mature) early. If you didn't pick the green ones and waited .. they would eventually turn red on the vine, but would probably be a little on the "sweeter" side. :wink:

as a side note - jalapeno plants can be susceptible to cross pollination, hence the one's you buy sometimes at the grocery store these days that are not hot at all and the flavor is more of a "green pepper" taste. i.e. don't plant any "other" pepper varieties around your Jalepeno plants.

but yours look great. if you want them hot and "green" pick them green, if you want them red, just wait...... they will turn. :smile:

nmayeux
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Mine took a while to turn red, but all of a sudden I started seeing lots of them. Also, I have to agree that the ones I grow at home are much hotter that some that I have bought at the store.

Great looking haul there!

Plowboy
09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I've waited for them to mature in the past and then they start to wrinkle and break down. I picked some today that had some purple to them and other that were getting "soft". I'll leave some on the fine in the second crop and see what happens.

frognot
09-22-2008, 01:09 AM
as a side note - jalapeno plants can be susceptible to cross pollination, hence the one's you buy sometimes at the grocery store these days that are not hot at all and the flavor is more of a "green pepper" taste. i.e. don't plant any "other" pepper varieties around your Jalepeno plants.

How far apart do they need to be? My wife has been growing bell peppers & i was thinking about growing some jalapenos & habaneros next year.

Cabntmkr1
09-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Those look great, Todd.:icon_smil
I planted a bunch of Jalapenos back in the Springtime between my Tomato plants.
The first time my teenage son went out to mow the lawn after I planted them, he mowed between the tomato plants. Doh!
Anyhow, I'm envious...:mad:

Rick's Tropical Delight
09-22-2008, 06:13 AM
let em be and they'll turn red

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalape%C3%B1o

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/veggie/chipotles-016.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/veggie/chipotles-021.jpg

tommykendall
09-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Nice photos of the chipotles. Read somewhere that the scarring of the skin is an indication of higher scoville units. Any truth to that?

gotwood
09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Nice photos of the chipotles. Read somewhere that the scarring of the skin is an indication of higher scoville units. Any truth to that?

The scarring is an indication of maturity and therefore hotter....hence, the red ones all have the scarring. My guess is the green ones will scar then begin turning red when left on the vine.

rbinms33
09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Got my first ever red jalapeno. Anyone know how to get more red japs? Most of mine stay green and never go red. They are a bit on the small side. They were grown in a container instead of the ground.

I had the same problem last year but Mother Nature helped me this year. With all the rain we got, I didn't get out there near as much and when I finally did, I had about 6 or 8 red ones scattered on my six plants. Taking a hint, I picked those and walked away for a few days. Came back and had more....and then more....and then more.

Here's a thread on my first chipotle cook.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48867

noskos
09-22-2008, 04:41 PM
How far apart do they need to be? My wife has been growing bell peppers & i was thinking about growing some jalapenos & habaneros next year.

If you don't take seeds from your chiles, to plant on next season, the cross pollination won't change your heat level.
If you use seeds from cross pollinated chiles you might end up with unexpected results.