PDA

View Full Version : Drum Safety Question Please

rstewart
09-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I spoke to a guy Friday about some drums he has for sale. He told me he has burn drums and drums for rain barrels. I said I was looking for a food grade drum to be used for a UDS. He told me he knew what type I was looking for but he didn't have any at this time.He said he has several drums that contained one of the ingrediants to make stain but the drums had a heavy heavy duty plastic liner inside the drum that held the liquid. When he removes the plastice liner he said there is nothing but clean metal and if liquid gets into the drum after he removes the liner the drum will rust. He said he has drums where he has removed this liner and there is no rust at all just clean bare metal. Now to my question. Have any or you brethern heard of this and would you feel safe in using one of these drums. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Bbq Bubba
09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
SCORE!!! :cool:

ComputerMike
09-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Definitely a score. You'll still need to burn the paint off the outside but its NOTHING compared to burning out the liner. I finished my drum just this weekend and I spent WAY too much time with my head and an angle grinder inside the drum.

I just posted the pics, check it out.

txschutte
09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Just do a REALLY good burn on it first.

SCORE!!

Mattzilla
09-21-2008, 05:36 PM
All 3 of mine had a heavy caulking it them. Luckily the stuff was in a bag. I took out the bag and there was ZERO smell and no paint. :sweetness: :biggrin:

Wyatt
09-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I used a weed burner on mine, then my dad used the grinder on the inside.

vr6Cop
09-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Sounds to me like you just scored. :cool:

swamprb
09-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Jump on 'em!!

Bbq Bubba
09-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Definitely a score. You'll still need to burn the paint off the outside but its NOTHING compared to burning out the liner. I finished my drum just this weekend and I spent WAY too much time with my head and an angle grinder inside the drum.

I just posted the pics, check it out.

Not sure why you need to burn the paint off the outside?

If its metal inside, give it a good cleaning and season away!
You just saved several hours of crawling inside a drum.....:icon_sleepy
The paint on the outside is better than anything your gonna put on it, if you like the color, leave it alone!

ComputerMike
09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Not sure why you need to burn the paint off the outside?

If its metal inside, give it a good cleaning and season away!
You just saved several hours of crawling inside a drum.....:icon_sleepy
The paint on the outside is better than anything your gonna put on it, if you like the color, leave it alone!

I figured the paint on the outside wouldn't hold up to the heat but temps are low enough I guess. Anyone have problems with original paint?

Bbq Bubba
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I figured the paint on the outside wouldn't hold up to the heat but temps are low enough I guess. Anyone have problems with original paint?

I use $.99 spray paint on my drums, have never flaked or burned off yet! :biggrin:

swamprb
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
If you leave the lid off after a cook and space out and answer the phone, or walk off and deliver your Chicken turn in box and start BS'n and sampling Chili, I can guarantee that the paint on the lower third of the drum will be burning off! And when I saw the size of your charcoal basket, I'm fairly certain it could happen to your drum-even if you paint it with High-Temp BBQ paint.

Don't ask me how I know this.

ComputerMike
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
If you leave the lid off after a cook and space out and answer the phone, or walk off and deliver your Chicken turn in box and start BS'n and sampling Chili, I can guarantee that the paint on the lower third of the drum will be burning off! And when I saw the size of your charcoal basket, I'm fairly certain it could happen to your drum-even if you paint it with High-Temp BBQ paint.

Well, its supposed to be Ugly right? It will give it some character. :)

Bbq Bubba
09-22-2008, 11:38 AM

You know i have them pics saved!! :twisted: :biggrin:

swamprb
09-22-2008, 09:37 PM
You know i have them pics saved!! :twisted: :biggrin:

You know how much I like Dupli-Color Engine Red!!

MayDay
09-23-2008, 05:04 PM
I spoke to a guy Friday about some drums he has for sale. He told me he has burn drums and drums for rain barrels. I said I was looking for a food grade drum to be used for a UDS. He told me he knew what type I was looking for but he didn't have any at this time.He said he has several drums that contained one of the ingrediants to make stain but the drums had a heavy heavy duty plastic liner inside the drum that held the liquid. When he removes the plastice liner he said there is nothing but clean metal and if liquid gets into the drum after he removes the liner the drum will rust. He said he has drums where he has removed this liner and there is no rust at all just clean bare metal. Now to my question. Have any or you brethern heard of this and would you feel safe in using one of these drums. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

I'd pass on any non-food-grade drums and any that held stains, chemical compounds or any NON-FOOD items EVEN if it used a plastic liner. The liners are not always 100% impervious so there is a chance the stuff could leak or leach through to the metal, even if the metal shows no signs of immediate corrosion. Or course, leaching varies with time and compatibility.

Most stains contain some pretty toxic chemicals, such as mercury, sulfur, copper, etc. that act as preservative and anti-microbial agents. Make sure NOT to use any drums used for transformer oil (PCBs) or chemicals.

The offgases from even minute amounts of these compounds produced during burning or cooking are not healthy to breathe. Even after you do an initial burn, you could still be putting small amounts of toxic volatile compounds in your food from any residual chemicals. Keep in mind that the OSHA exposure levels are only recommended safe levels, that get lower and lower every year.

Be safe. Minimize your exposure to toxics if you can.

Smoke & Beers
09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I called a local oil supplier ("Oil" in the yellow pages) and told him what I was looking for...he said come on by and we'll find you one. Got there and there wasn't a food grade drum to be found. He thought with a good burn a petro drum would be fine...but I passed... He understood.
He said he'd do some calling around and 10 minutes later he had a food grade oil (mineral oil) drum that I picked up at a local bakery for $5.
Any food processing places or their lube suppliers should have access to a food grade drum...if they are willing to part with it...they usually have a deposit on them.