PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Chicken Wings

one2bbq
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I going to smoke some wings this weekend. Should I brine them or just marinate them in some hot sauce?

Mokin Bandit
09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
My suggestion is dont smoke them, grill them. Crispy skin is much better than soft skin. The way i do mine is put a seasoning on them and let that sit for say an hour then add some hot sauce for maybe another hour. I do these alot for tailgating. I usually season them up before I leave and then add hot sauce while I am getting the grill ready.

Seasoning will depend on how hot you want it. Basics like salt, pepper, and garlic are good. And chili powder to kick it up a little. Throwing some brown sugar in there gives it a sweet taste and ands a little char.

cmcadams
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I smoke and fry them... or fry and smoke them. Get some oil hot (375 degrees), put the wings in the oil for 5 minutes, then drain. Add your hot sauce, then smoke for about an hour or so, until the wings hit 165 internal temp.

wheels61
09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
i put the wings,thawed and disjointed,in a zip lock. add some olive oil, seasoning of choice and let set 1-8 hours (doesn't seem to matter). smoke for about 2 hours. you could eat them after that but we have been frying them for a minute or two. i have never been a big wing fan but these are really good.

Arlin_MacRae
09-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I rub the little beauties, then pop them into a smoker. No mop, no spray, let them cook. They'll be somewhat crispy and not soft at all. It depends on your temps, of course.

BBQ Grail
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I smoke and fry them... or fry and smoke them. Get some oil hot (375 degrees), put the wings in the oil for 5 minutes, then drain. Add your hot sauce, then smoke for about an hour or so, until the wings hit 165 internal temp.

Never done them this way, but I'd sure like to try it.

But...what about smoking them first and then tossing them in some hot oil to crisp up the skin before adding hot sauce.

Would that work...

Smokin Mike
09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
what kind of smoker do you have? for me my traeger is a excellent chicken cooker, crank it all the way up, I like using Franks hot sauce recipe for my hot wings, something about butter, sauce, and something else,,,

OUT OF ORDER
09-18-2008, 11:19 PM
i brine for about 3 to 4 hrs then rub with a basic rub then let set overnite ,smoke for about 2 hrs at about 220 then crisp on a gas grill if needed (like what arlin said depends on heat) you could raise temp at the end of cook to crisp up if i add a sauce i wait till they are crisp then add last seems to work well done hot, bbq sauce,and teriyaki same way

thenewguy
09-18-2008, 11:22 PM
I smoke and grill my wings.There never seems to be any leftovers...

Bacon
09-19-2008, 12:26 AM
You can do a lot of things to a chicken and it wont mind.

I have several preferences. ( If that is even an option )

One of my fav. and easiest is to season and immediately smoke them, and/or smoke and then deep fry.

Then garlic, butter, hot sauce em'

cmcadams
09-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Never done them this way, but I'd sure like to try it.

But...what about smoking them first and then tossing them in some hot oil to crisp up the skin before adding hot sauce.

Would that work...

As someone else said, you can do it that way. The reason I don't is that it gives the wings time to not be greasy at all. I like the sauce to be cooked on a bit in the smoker, and I think it leaves more smoke flavor (may just be in m mind). But my wife likes a mix of Nando's Peri-Peri medium sauce with honey, and I think that works best in the smoker, not the fryer. I like straight wild herb or garlic Peri-Peri.

If you guys haven't tried Nando's Peri-Peri sauce on wings, you're missing something great!

one2bbq
09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
i brine for about 3 to 4 hrs then rub with a basic rub then let set overnite ,smoke for about 2 hrs at about 220 then crisp on a gas grill if needed (like what arlin said depends on heat) you could raise temp at the end of cook to crisp up if i add a sauce i wait till they are crisp then add last seems to work well done hot, bbq sauce,and teriyaki same way

I going to try your method, ill let you know how it went. You have to trust a Vinnie Paul fan. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Redaero
09-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I smoke wings all the time. I use both marinades and rubs. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours on the WSM at 275. The skin is crisp and the wings are always gone. These were for a backyard comp this summer.

ssbbqguy
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
For a controlable heat recipe, you might look up KCBS poultry recipes and tips for Steve's Hot Wings. Had real good luck with these and they are easy. Enjoy, Steve.

gpalasz
09-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I never smoked just wings. When I do a whole bird though...I always grub on the wings first...they are always moist and skin is crisp. I think..dang I need to do just wings but never have. This weekend I am going to fire up the Stumps, got a small choice packer and some butts..think Ill throw some wings on the empty shelf. Pron to follow this weekend.

Smokey Al Gold
09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I always grill them. What I do is get one of those square fish grilling baskets that you can clamp shut and line up about 4 rows of the wings. I then season them with whatever sounds good at the time, cajun always is a favorite and grill one side till golden brown then flip the whole basket and grill the otherside. Makes it super easy as anyone who has grilled a ton of these things flipping one at a time knows how annoying that is. I missed part of the superbowl last year doing this!!! After they're done take them out of the basket and toss in Franks hotwing sauce or if you're brave just the regular Franks hot sauce. They're are never leftovers.

PaSmoker
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I LOVE what some smoke does to wings....adds a whole 'nother flavor profile....I like to rub 'em with Dizzy Pig Jamaicain Firewalk, add some African "mombassa" pepper for added heat....smoke 'em over hickory and cherry for about 1.5 hours at 250-275 on my BDS....put in foil pan, toss with Franks hot sauce....let "rest" for about 15-20 minutes and the sauce seeps into the chicken real good, makes like a glaze....Ummmmm....Think I'm gonna do some this weekend...

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll369/kdos66/BDS%20Smoker/003-2.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll369/kdos66/007.jpg

OUT OF ORDER
09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
I going to try your method, ill let you know how it went. You have to trust a Vinnie Paul fan. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.
thanx man you wont regret dime forever dude
:icon_devil

Roo-B-Q'N
09-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Smoke em high, and dry rub. If you can't get a good crisp skin then smoke em, fry em, and dry rub them. Ala Central BBQ in Memphis, best wings I have ever had!

rocknrollchef
06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Aloha All:

I'm curious about two things: 1. What kind of success has anyone had smoking chicken wings (Firm? Mushy? Not as good as deep fried/baked/grilled? What?)

2. Has anyone tried putting smoked wings in a vac pak?

If yes, I'm curious what the shelf life was, how they behaved during reheating (or grilling), how well did they performed by coating them with wing sauce, etc.

cheers,

marty

DC-Q
06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I brine for 3 or 4 hours, lay out on cookie sheets & add rub then let air dry in the fridge for an hour or 2. then shake in a closed container with melted butter to coat. Then right on the traeger 275-325 1/2 hour ea. side. Remove n eat or add sauce if you like. They never last long. Theres usually a crowd around the grill waiting for them to come off & devouring them immediately.

Arlin_MacRae
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
No brine here; I rub 'em and place on wire or perforated racks at 220° or so for about an hour total. I flip once if the bottoms get darker than the tops.

Smokey Al Gold
06-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I smoke indirect on the kettle with hickory or mesquite then reverse sear once they're almost cooked through for that crispy skin. Rubbed with yardbird rub its awesome! Then tossed in Frank's Hot Wing Sauce

gfap61
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I did some wings this weekend. Dry rub and smoked with some apple wood. I followed with a sauce of a combo of Franks and the Rooster. Did a quick crisping on the grill. They turned out great. My sister-in-law wants me to make 15 lbs. for a party in two weeks.

Stiltz6ft9in
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I grew up in Buffalo, so the only way I know how to eat wings is fried, dropped in a hot sauce and melted butter mixture and served with a side of blue cheese.

SmokeInDaEye
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Here's some I smoked on Saturday. I rubbed these with dry rub, smoked for about 1.5 hours then tossed in warmed bbq sauce with a little butter.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/CIMG1835.jpg

texas pete
02-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I brine, smoke & grill my wings. It takes some time but it is certainly worth it. First, brine 4 lbs of wings in salt & sugar water for 30 minutes. While the wings are brining soak a handful of mequite chips and start a half a chimney-starter-worth of charcoal. Drain, rinse and pat dry the wings, put them in one layer on a foil- or plastic-covered cookie sheet and hit them with some fresh-ground black pepper on both sides. Then put them in the fridge to allow them to dry some more. Set up the Weber kettle for indirect grilling (coals all to one side, not split between two sides). All the wings will just fit, skin side up, on the half of the grate opposite the coals. Then throw the mesquite chips on the coals, cover the grill and smoke the wings for 30-45 minutes. Next, remove the lid and in 2 or 3 batches grill the wings over the coals until crispy, turning often. Be careful as the skin side will burn quickly if left over the coals too long. I used to make various different sauces to shake the wings in but then realized the wings are incredibly tasty straight off the grill with no help from sauces. I sometimes dip them in blue cheese dressing. My wife & kids rave about them and these wings are a command performance at our swim & racquet club's parties.

kwas68
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
I recently made smo-fried wings.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100081

prodano
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Wow Texas Pete, that is exactly how I do mine too. I keep half with just the rub, and the other half with rub and sauce. Getting that skin nice and crispy is essential!

bmanMA
02-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Love them smoked and the grilled, but *really* love them smoked and then fried. Fry them skins to a crisp and then go to town with my garlic buffalo and my insane hot sprinklins. They are sitting in buttermilk right now...will take them out soon (and i mean really soon as it is getting late and I have a pastrami to put on early) to air dry in the fridge. Wings are the perfect food!

TIMMAY
02-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Bringing back a thread from the dead! Tis a good one though.

I have one of those wing hanger deals that SWMBO got for me, works pretty nice, only a dozen at a time though. I grill mine using that with a low sugar rub, very light smoke. When cooked I then toss em in Texas Pete Wing sauce that has been simmered for a 15 with um, I dunno. Maybe three good heaping tablespoons of fresh minced garlic and a small pat of butter. I like my sauce to have a ton of garlic flavor. When you dip them the garlic bits go along for the ride, pretty nice.

Nucldo
01-25-2012, 08:56 AM
The best I have ever made or have eaten are brined, rubbed/marinade, smoked, fried, and then sauced. It takes FOREVER but is worth every minute. First I brine the wings overnight in water, brown sugar, sea salt. The next morning, I remove from the brine and liberally apply rub to them and stick them back into the fridge for another 24 hours. When they have soaked up all those flavors they go onto the smoker at 190-210 degrees for about 3 hours. It is almost a cold smoke, but not quiet. They cook a bit, but do not get done and a lot of the fat is rendered out. I take them off the smoker and then they go into peanut oil at 375F for about 4 minutes until they are done and very crispy. The last step is saucing. For the sauce I use a combination of one medium bottle of Frank’s hot sauce that I put into the food processor with a can of chipotle peppers, the oil/sauce that is in the can, and about 4-6 cloves of garlic and then warmed all this with a stick of unsalted butter. Went through 150 these babies last Superbowl.

aquablue22
01-25-2012, 09:30 AM
I smoke wings all the time, I usually rub them with my favorite rub and let them rest in the frig for a couple of hours, onto the smoker at 275 - 300 for 1.5 to 2 hours and them into a bowl with Franks and a little bit of honey, cover them and let them sit for 15 minutes and then serve, they really are good and the skin is crisp not soft.

ddweatherholtz
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
First Post!!

I did smoked wings this Sunday. Brined them in typical poultry brine for about 5 hours. Injected a mix of Franks Hot Sauce, butter, garlic powder and brown sugar. light coating of Wegamns Basting Oil, and then liberal does of my fav bbq chipotle rub. Smoked at 200-220 for about 2 hours, first half hour a hand full of cherry chips, then after that a hand full of apple chips. After 2 hours, mopped on some spicey bbq sauce and cranked the heat up to about 300 for about 35 min and got them crispy. Must say the whole family was amazed at how good they came out!

Riskyguy
04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I smoked my first wings this weekend using the orange marmalade, srirachi sauce, honey, and brown sugar recipe that people here have raved about. They were right! The wings were awesome. The only problem was that there weren't enough to go around.

My friend from Buffalo also did his version of wings at the same and they were also awesome. His recipe was Frank's sauce, brown sugar, a little butter, and grated cheese. They were excellent!

We smoked the wings on the WSM at about 300 degrees until they were a light golden brown. We then dipped the wings in the sauces and smoked them for 10 more minutes. We dipped them one more time and smoked them for 10 more minutes.

frohe
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
If you guys haven't tried Nando's Peri-Peri sauce on wings, you're missing something great!

And for you folkls who can't find the Peri Peri sauce on your local grocer's shelves, here's a good recipe to use as a substitute.

Piri Piri Sauce from About.com

2 T. red hot chile paste or 10 red hot chiles, such as Thai
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 T. finely chopped cilantro
1 T. chopped parsley
5 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup olive or peanut oil
If you are using fresh red chiles -- it is important that they be red, for the proper color of piri piri -- chop them roughly. If you really want to make this authentic, find yourself the tiny "bird's eye" chiles, which are appallingly hot. Any hot chile will do, though.
Throw everything into a food processor except the oil. Buzz on high until smooth.
Once the sauce begins to get smooth, drizzle in the oil slowly while the machine is running. Once it is all incorporated, put the sauce in a glass jar and let stand at room temperature for up to a day.
For longer storage, seal in a jar and keep in the fridge up to a month.

tyotrain
04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
I love grilled wings boy there good.. but i also will put them in my WSM with no water pan in the smoker and that works well also... I like toss them in some oil then but a nice spicy rub on them let them sit in fridge over night than rub again before you cook and enjoy... BBQ UP

MoyMch
04-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Never thought of smoking the little guys. I always throw them on the grill with a dusting of salt/pepper and when finished I toss them with Wing Time Super Hot sauce.

Chezmatt
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I brine with a basic kosher salt and brown sugar brine, then smoke for 90-120 minutes at 240-250. We eat 'em plain, dipped in various BBQ sauces, or tossed with my Buffalo sauce of Frank's, butter, and a little Dijon. The skin is crisp, and you can't beat the smokey flavor.

smokaholic
04-17-2012, 07:26 PM
I buy the premade hot wings that all you do is either microwave or toss in oven for 20min or whatever BUT I thaw them then marinate them overnight or whatever in Plain ol Ranch Dressing. Then Smoke them at atleast 250 275 for about 45min to an hour. In the middle of cooking them you can hit them with either more wing sauce or rub or even both. Frickin quick and delicious. Nothin crazy or hard that takes 2 days of prep. Prep time has been killing me lately so Im trying simplified ways to cut that down.

bobaftt
04-17-2012, 07:58 PM
I say high heat (350 or so) oil those puppies up with olive oil and use your favorite rub. Try saucing some with blues hog. I found I couldn't make hot wings after doing that.

Cabin Fever
04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
To heck with sauce! :biggrin1:

The best wings I've ever had came from a small BBQ stand about half an hour from me in Lake Anna. The guy running the pit brought me out a few for free while my pulled pork sandwich was being made. He just used a homemade rub and smoked them over a combination of peach, cherry and apple wood. The skin was perfectly crispy and I don't think I had ever tasted such a sweet smoke flavor before then.

To make a long story short, I went back a few weekends later and talked to the man and his wife for over an hour about bbq. That may not sound like a big deal, but anyone that really knows me knows that I'm not the type of guy to just go strike up a conversation with complete strangers. I guess bbq can have that affect on a person though. :wink:

ddweatherholtz
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Thought id post some pics of the Wing Smoke

Grain Belt
04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I echo what several brethren have mentioned. I am a die hard kettle guy and love to smoke wings using high heat indirect with apple wood for smoke. I give them a nice light rub of season-all and then smoke them at about 350-360 until almost all the fat is rendered out. I used to use special wing racks so I could do about 48 whole wings but I have moved to a homemade "hovergrill"(a second cook grate made with bolts, nuts, and washers) I can cook the same amount as before but without all the hanging and prep time. I then like to do my sauces for about 15 minutes after the fat has rendered (around 45 minutes usually) I love the 1/3 butter- 1/3 honey- 1/3 Siracha sauce. Also have done variations with Frank's and some asian experiments.

I love cooking everything and anything on my old kettle, but it really shines as a chicken cooker in my opinion.