PDA

View Full Version : au jus

mdhart79
09-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I am planning to smoke a prime rib this saturday. this will be my second try.First one was ok but i know i can do better . this one will also be twice as big,12lb or so. Going to smoke on UDS so i loss all the juices into the fire. so with that I am looking for any suggestions a au jus recipes. I cooked a chuck roast the other day in the slow cooker due the 11 inches of rain we've had so I kept the left over juice(cooked in beef broth) from that hoping to use that as a starting point. or would i be better finding a store brand and doctoring it up some. Really hoping to impress the family with this so any and all help woud be great.

Jack2u2
09-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Just buy a decent aus jus at the store. Won't hurt anything. Ifd the prime rib is cook right, no one will notice the aus jus, anyway!

barbefunkoramaque
09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
loosing your juice is sad. You still have the ribs attached? If not so what. I often take them off for beef ribs later too. Plop that smoked PR in a foil pan and let those juices flow... you will never be able to match the flavor of natural juices. However... if your cooking to 119-125 IT then you won't have that many juices as they will be in your meat like in my example here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkPFTcM4hE

I keep cans on standby of that Aus Jus the other poster speaks of to put in my johnson sprayer for something else I smoke... get the hint?

Fatback Joe
09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
A quick, easy, and good au jus is 2 parts beef broth to 1 part red wine, throw it on the stove and let it reduce by 1/3 or so..........nothing fancy but gets the job done.