PDA

View Full Version : 50 big Boys

Norcoredneck
09-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Neighbor asked me to cook for a birthday party for his son. There will be probably 50 people. Most are current or former USC football players. All i am cooking is butts. What would be a good estimate ? They are going to have other foods. Thanks.

Norcoredneck
09-14-2008, 01:36 AM
My next question is I plan on cooking Wednesday and wrapping them so they can reheat on Saturday. Wondering if it would be getter to wrap
1) individual foil then saran wrap (which one first?)
2) put in large disposable pans cover with foil then saran wrap.
3)Other?

Next
Plan is to have them put in oven .What temp and how long? Reheat to ? internal.

If it was myself doing it I would let the alcohol be my guide but need to give them guidelines.

Caseyjoenz
09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
My next question is I plan on cooking Wednesday and wrapping them so they can reheat on Saturday. Wondering if it would be getter to wrap
1) individual foil then saran wrap (which one first?)
2) put in large disposable pans cover with foil then saran wrap.
3)Other?

Next
Plan is to have them put in oven .What temp and how long? Reheat to ? internal.

If it was myself doing it I would let the alcohol be my guide but need to give them guidelines.

This information is taking into account that they are bigger guys, who will eat more than usual. I would cook 53# (uncooked weight) of pork shoulder.

1) The only thing you will accomplish using Saran Wrap after the initial cook is the butts will take much longer to cool and will be in the "danger zone" temperature longer while cooling. I would just cool in foil, wrapped really well. I would not pull the butts at this point. Make sure you take the butts to at least 185 degrees in the initial cook.

2) Just keep the whole butts in your fridge until ready to reheat.

3) Put them in the oven on Saturday four hours before you need them, still wrapped whole in foil (you'll want to put them on a sheet pan or disposable whole pan). I would cook three hours at 300 degrees and then the last hour at 225. Plop them in a foil pan and pull them...they will fall apart. As far as internal temp, anything above 170 is good, taking them to 190 will only help.

Good luck!

BBQ Grail
09-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't think the current USC players will be all that hungry. After all they just had Ohio State for dinner last night...

(Sorry, I just had to...)

U2CANQUE
09-14-2008, 12:01 PM
and yes, it was beautiful to listen to on the way home.......today at work I came in and posted USC Buffet causes reduction in demand of OSU Jerseys.....only worn once, but, smells like the horses asses that attempted to wear them......

Hey, on a good note, wont have to worry about seeing THE Ohio State (Bills) in the championship game this year.....

bbqbull
09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Norco, did 4 cases of butts last week.
Ran them to 180 and foiled, coolered and transported to a commercial refridgerator.
Next moring we put them in giant or comercial roasting pans and into ovens at 350 and it took almost 7hours to reheat these butts to 200 for pulling.
That was 5 butts per pan per oven.

I wished I had ran them to 200 when smoking but we got into a time crunch.
If I had ran them to 200 before coolers and delivered to destination or reheat time would have been abt 2-3 hrs less in the commercial ovens.

Im guessing a pound raw weight per guest depending on sides, and dont forget the cooks.

Bbq Bubba
09-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think the current USC players will be all that hungry. After all they just had Ohio State for dinner last night...

(Sorry, I just had to...)

As bad as i felt from ND kicking our arse, that made my night!! :biggrin:

You got some good info Pat.
I'd cook to finished temp so reheating doesn't take so long.
I prefer reheating in cryo packs but if oven and pans is the plan....
Cook and shread, add back juices and some rub and refrigerate.
Have them warm in oven, 300 is fine but have them add some AJ for moisture, only need to warm up, 145 degrees is safe, no need to re-cook.
Go with a Lb uncooked per monster, leftovers never hurt anybody and you won't run short! :biggrin:

Do you have enough pit to cook that much meat??? :twisted:

Norcoredneck
09-15-2008, 12:56 AM
hey thanks for the replies.

Countryhb
09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Absolutely shred when you are done cooking. It's a PITA to try to reheat a whole butt...already-pulled is a snap and tastes like it just came off the cooker.

bbqbull
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Absolutely shred when you are done cooking. It's a PITA to try to reheat a whole butt...already-pulled is a snap and tastes like it just came off the cooker.

I agree, reheat whole butts, shred/pull when up to temp of 200.

I think previously cooked food must be reheated to a min. of 165 degrees.

We reheated some pulled pork that was already pulled the day before and it turned out very dry at our gig a week ago.

We used chicken broth instead of apple juice to add moisture.

Countryhb
09-15-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree, reheat whole butts, shred/pull when up to temp of 200.

I think previously cooked food must be reheated to a min. of 165 degrees.

We reheated some pulled pork that was already pulled the day before and it turned out very dry at our gig a week ago.

We used chicken broth instead of apple juice to add moisture.

This isn't an aggreement with me, Bull. I say pull before you freeze. I've never had a problem with it drying out.

smokinit
09-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I always pull and vacume pack and quick in the freezer to cool down then in the fridge if I am to use them within a week otherwise I will freeze. Never comes out dry.

Norcoredneck
09-15-2008, 04:43 PM
I always pull and vacume pack and quick in the freezer to cool down then in the fridge if I am to use them within a week otherwise I will freeze. Never comes out dry.
If you vacuum pack then how do you reheat?

bbqbull
09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
CountryHB. No problems with your comments.
I cooked the butts/foiled and tranported them in coolers to a commercial refrigerator.
We reheated, pulled and put into roasters.
They had half a roaster pan that was pulled, foiled and placed in the commercial cooler until the next day.
They reheated it and it was very dried out. Chicken broth was our friend.
We didnt freeze any butts.

Countryhb
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
If you vacuum pack then how do you reheat?
If you have the ability, boil in bag (best method). If not, throw 'em in a pan a put in smoker/oven/grill with some AJ. If you're gonna boil in bag, you want smaller bags (2-4 lbs), otherwise it's a PITA to get the center to thaw/heat.

big brother smoke
09-15-2008, 05:45 PM
With that much pork, sometimes it best to put the frozen pre-shredded in aluminum pans in the oven with Apple Juice! I tried the boil method before (works great for smaller portions that are shredded) much pork and it gets frustrating waiting for the whole roast to come to temp.