PDA

View Full Version : I found some jalapenos!!!!!!!!

Dr_KY
09-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Pictures comming soon!:twisted:

Browser
09-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Where 'em, where where WHEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRREEEEEEEE?:icon_devil:confused :

I've had some from supermarkets before but would need as much disposable income as Bill Gates to make a decent batch of ABTs:frown:

I keep meaning to go to our local market in the hope of locating some there, if not then gawd knows!

Dr_KY
09-13-2008, 10:00 AM
I picked up 30 of them for 1.35 at some corner veg stand in town. I went looking for break pads for the dodge and just happend to walk by the place.

BTY get over to Sainsburys the are closing out the charcoal for 70p a bag.

Dr_KY
09-13-2008, 12:38 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/spac0l.jpg

Forney
09-13-2008, 01:12 PM
ABTs!!!!!

nmayeux
09-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Japs and american bacon. Your neighbors are gonna start calling you a "yank," and throw you on a boat to the states!

Dr_KY
09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Nahh they call me yank but they also love to eat. lol

Desert Dweller
09-14-2008, 08:39 AM
You can get away with alot of chit when you can cook well and are willing to share...huh??? That's the only reason my church lets me in I think!

jestridge
09-14-2008, 08:44 AM
You can get away with alot of chit when you can cook well and are willing to share...huh??? That's the only reason my church lets me in I think! LoL very true I live in a 99% republican county they still let a democrate cook for them

Dr_KY
09-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey Browser you better get there before I make a third trip.

http://i37.tinypic.com/5dndjs.jpg

nmayeux
09-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Is that a trailer hitch on a Benz? If we are going to fully corrupt you, we need to get you a pick up truck! With a gun rack...

gotwood
09-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Dont you have rear and passenger seats???

Hey Browser you better get there before I make a third trip.

http://i37.tinypic.com/5dndjs.jpg

Browser
09-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I've already got a good stockpile of charcoal Doc, but thanks for the heads-up about Sainsburys:-D
Must get down to the market in Peterborough and look for some japs!

MayDay
09-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Doc, what about growing them yourself? If it's warm enough, maybe you could use grow lamps? That way, you always have your own supply.

TysDad
09-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Good Dr.,
You did save the seeds to grow your own, right? There are lots of websites that describe the optimal conditions... including grow lights for the sun-deprived.

Kevin
09-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey Doc, what about growing them yourself? If it's warm enough, maybe you could use grow lamps? That way, you always have your own supply.

Good Dr.,
You did save the seeds to grow your own, right? There are lots of websites that describe the optimal conditions... including grow lights for the sun-deprived.

What they ^^^^ said. If I can grow them in Minnesota, you should be able to do the same.

Dr_KY
09-15-2008, 04:08 AM
Thabks guys I'll be sending a PM. :cool:

http://i34.tinypic.com/1fu0ow.jpg

Dr_KY
09-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Is that a trailer hitch on a Benz? If we are going to fully corrupt you, we need to get you a pick up truck! With a gun rack...
Close it's a 5 series BMW it came with the hitch. I would love to impotr a 64/65 ElCamino but that's just not going to happen.
Dont you have rear and passenger seats???
Had several bags back there on the second trip.lol

Hey Doc, what about growing them yourself? If it's warm enough, maybe you could use grow lamps? That way, you always have your own supply
With the prices of energy over here grow lights would baknkrupt us.

Good Dr.,
Ya know come to think of it I have a lady friend with a greenhouse in the back yard and she's very handy with growing things, I'll give her a call.

Browser
09-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Our local market had Japs so, I got meself the ingredients for ABTs.....

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0002-7.jpg

Lef -to-right = Onion marmalade, Philadelphia cheese (should've used cheddar, will next time), streaky bacon, Japs and good-quality Licolnshire pork sausages above which were smoked earlier.

Put 'em together......

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0005-5.jpg

smoked 'em with cherry & oak chinks on the Weber for about 1.5 - 2 hours....

and had me some ABTs!!!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/ambrosemoo/PICT0007-2.jpg

Positives: The Bayou classic Leg And Wing rack will work as an ABT rack if you have one and not the other.

Negatives: The Japs were so mild I didn't even get any flavour off them, much less pepper 'burn', very disappointing!
I had a bitch of a job maintaining any sort of temperature on the Weber to cook them. I was using the kettle after smoking some wings for dinner and the sausages used in the ABT filling. I gave it a shake to settle the ash and added several more briqs but still struggled. I think next time I'll start with a biger heap of briqs, that or get my flippin' drum finished!!!:redface::-D

LMAJ
09-19-2008, 06:29 PM
those are some pretty interesting jalapenos... almost like a cross between an Italian Roaster and a Jalapeno... but an ABT none the less! And yes... I will trake 3 thanks.

Desert Dweller
09-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Huh? Is this some sort of time warp or something? I posted to this thread last week, and here it is again? Am I lost in space? What is happening to me? Please help....

azkitch
09-20-2008, 03:55 AM
I was plannin' on bustin' your chops about Jals. They're in every grocery store I go in. Oh, yeah. I'm in Arizona, you're in England. But, since my ancestors are your neighbors-gramma from just SE of Manchester...
But seriously, if you're having trouble w/your kettle, if you can get lump charcoal, give it a try. I just found a site that compare-burns all kinds of fuel, and lump usually burns longer with less ash than briqettes.briqueett dammit briquettes. there. I stammer when I type.
I would gladly send you jalapenos for some of your dart bars. Evvybody here plays those damn toy plastic thingies, cuz they get so pissed they don't wanna "do any fu$Hing math", and the bars get a cut of the quarters. Bloodsuckers. I ain't paying quarters for no durn machine to multiply by 3 and subtract! (I only hit trips, after all!)
Whoops. I'm off subject. Guess what my other fave pastime is!
Good luck getting some jal plants going. Try ecoseed.com. Much luck
Dave.

Browser
09-20-2008, 04:03 AM
Huh? Is this some sort of time warp or something? I posted to this thread last week, and here it is again? Am I lost in space? What is happening to me? Please help....

Yeeeesssss, it'sss a tiiiiimmmmeee waaaarrrpppp annd the woooorrlllld isss abbouuuutt tooooo eeennndddd!!
Liiiissttteen verryyy caaaarefullllyyyyyy. Toooo preseeerrvvee youuurrr finannncesss foooorrrr fuuuuttuuree geeenerationnnssss, youuu neeed to seeennndd meeee alll offff yooouuurrr diiissspooosaabblllee inccooommee noooooooooowwwwww:biggrin:

Sorry bud, couldn't resist:wink: Look, I'm just a bit slow in gettin' organised, awright!:tongue:

Yes LMAJ, they do look a tad odd for Japs. I assumed they were Japs when I bought them due to the lack of signage saying otherwise and my lack of recognition experience:redface: The lack of any heat at all leads me to believe they aren't Japs so I'll have to keep looking:rolleyes::grin:

Browser
09-20-2008, 04:08 AM
I would gladly send you jalapenos for some of your dart bars. Evvybody here plays those damn toy plastic thingies, cuz they get so pissed they don't wanna "do any fu$Hing math", and the bars get a cut of the quarters. Bloodsuckers. I ain't paying quarters for no durn machine to multiply by 3 and subtract! (I only hit trips, after all!)
Whoops. I'm off subject. Guess what my other fave pastime is!

Errm, what? Dart bars? (Transatlantic confusion mod?) Maybe it's a Manc (Manchester) thing?

But seriously, if you're having trouble w/your kettle, if you can get lump charcoal, give it a try. I just found a site that compare-burns all kinds of fuel, and lump usually burns longer with less ash than briqettes.briqueett dammit briquettes. there. I stammer when I type.

I'll give it a go, lump is as easy to get hold of as briqs here.

Good luck getting some jal plants going. Try ecoseed.com. Much luck
Dave.

I'll have a look. I think I'm gonna need a proper greenhouse with heating and/or heat lamps to get anywhere, which may stall the home growing due to energy costs but we'll see:-D

Desert Dweller
09-20-2008, 07:04 AM
:icon_coolBrowser, my financial future is predestined already. I have four teenage boys, therefore my income has been disposed of for years to come!:icon_cool

Browser
09-20-2008, 08:04 AM
You think that's bad, I've got a daughter for cryin' out loud!
Have pity on me:sad::mrgreen:

fil
09-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I would say I would just send ya some seeds but I don't know how customs would treat that. I know you cant bring in stuff from Mexico to the US without raising some eyebrows. I just googled jalapeno seeds and got a bunch of hits.
It would be quite an experience shopping over there when we are used to the variety of stuff we can get here.

fil

nmayeux
09-20-2008, 07:06 PM
[quote=Dr_KY;738247]Close it's a 5 series BMW it came with the hitch. I would love to impotr a 64/65 ElCamino but that's just not going to happen.
quote]Heck, that ain't no truck, well have to round you up an old F-100 or an old Chevy C/K 10. Something large enough to put that Beemer in the back!:twisted:

Browser
09-21-2008, 04:51 AM
I would say I would just send ya some seeds but I don't know how customs would treat that. I know you cant bring in stuff from Mexico to the US without raising some eyebrows. I just googled jalapeno seeds and got a bunch of hits.
It would be quite an experience shopping over there when we are used to the variety of stuff we can get here.

fil

The 'experience' would be (a) the lack of variety of some goods and (b) the price you'd be paying:sad:

Dr_KY
09-21-2008, 05:16 AM
Too true but I'm off to buy more today if they have them. Mine were so hot the next time I plan on going back to slicing them in half.

I passed some of them around at the pub just to watch people turn red.lol

Browser
09-21-2008, 05:33 AM
I passed some of them around at the pub just to watch people turn red.lol

Cruel but funny!:biggrin:

I can only assume from your other comment Doc that you agree with my comment about the retail grocery experience in the UK?:frown:

Dr_KY
09-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Yup full on agree. He!! I can't even find Karo syurp to make pecan pie!

Browser
09-21-2008, 05:51 AM
I just find it vey disappointing that all of the big players in the supermarket field, Tescos Asda Morrisons etc, have driven the small local and speciality shops off the map, they seem determined to be little different from each other in what they stock, so your choice is prety poor:rolleyes:

Dr_KY
09-21-2008, 06:04 AM
I run into more useless crap in supermarkets. Wait let me say useless to me and my needs but that's the thing about BBQ you don't need lot of choice so it should be easier go figure.

I'm going to go see if that little market is open today for more jalapeños. looks like I'll be on the bus with them. lol