PDA

View Full Version : No chicken yes butts.

Neil
09-13-2008, 06:42 AM
I was asked if I could cook up 400 chicken halves for a school fundraiser next Friday. Unfortunately I don't have the equiptment needed for such an undertaking so I told her no but I could smoke up a couple hundred pounds of pork butts for pulled pork sammies. 24 butts smoking away underneath the umbrellas as I type this. I have two UDS's with eight butts, one UDS with four, and the WSM has four. Using apple and mullberry chunks with oak lump.

Rooster
09-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Sounds good. Remember we need pics or it didn't happen.

Neil
09-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Sounds good. Remember we need pics or it didn't happen.

Those that know me are chuckling right now.:biggrin: I'm what you might call pic post challenged.

Ron_L
09-13-2008, 08:56 AM
You may as well assume that is didn't happen, Rooster... :-D :-D :-D

That's a lot of pork, Neil! Good luck. I hope you have pulling it all.

You can always e-mail me the pics and I can post them for you, Dad... :-D :-D

thillin
09-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Forget pulling the pork in bus tubs, you need to use the bathtub. Let us know how it turns out.

Bigdog
09-13-2008, 12:04 PM
You're a smart man Bro. to say no. That much chicken would be a real problem if you didn't have all the right equipement. Pork is a much better option.

Forney
09-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Wow that's a lot of pulling!! Let us know how they liked it.

JimT
09-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Neil !!
Brother !!
Neighbor !!

That's an awesome undertaking in the current Michigan flood zone. How's everything going?

Goulash for us tonight,

JimT

BBQ_MAFIA
09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Way to go Neil.

I think your decision to go with the pork was a good choice.
I sure all well go over great.

Neil
09-15-2008, 02:35 PM
No pics but it did happen. I got home from work around 5:40 Friday afternoon and immediately loaded the three drums and the WSM then fired up a full chimney of K. Case #1 weighed out at 64.7#'s, case #2 weighed 67.3 #'s case #3 weighed 65.6 #'s; all three cases contained eight butts each purchased at Sam's for $1.38/lb. I injected and rubbed one case at a time. The first eight butts went on UDS #1, the next eight on UDS #2, four on UDS #3 and four butts on the WSM. Just before I went out to place the first case of butts on the UDS, it started to rain and rain hard. The four smokers were sheltered by two 9' market umbrellas. All three drums and the WSM hummed on through the night at or near 200* as we got pelted with 5 1/2" of rain with 10-15 mph winds and gusts of 25 mph. The rain continued non stop all day Saturday. In the meantime, I was checking the finished half of our basement for any signs of water since it got flooded out a year ago, to my delight, the carpet remained dry. At around 8:00 pm
I went downstairs to the storage room in the unfinished half of the basement to get a cooler for the butts. Took one step into the storage room and my foot was wet! FARK!
Turn on the light and water all over the floor. I take the cooler up and wrap up the first eight butts ranging in temp from 191-203 and place in the cooler then get out the shop vac and start to work on the water. Two hours later I'm wrapping the next eight butts and back to vac up more water. Repeated this process again and finally got some shuteye around 2:00 am. Up at five and back to work in the basement but now the water has spread into the carpeted room along the adjacent wall. Go back and forth from one room to the next and start pulling the butts at 8:00 am. With help from the wifey, we finished pulling and vac sealing the pork into 5 and 10 lb. bags at around 3:30 pm. Spent the rest of the day and night until 10:00 trying to keep up with water. Thought we had it licked only to find out this morning that we got another 2" overnight so I took the day off to battle the flood. I think I may have lost a few more pounds this weekend.:biggrin::biggrin:

Neil
09-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Forgot to mention, ended up with 95 #'s of pulled pork.

bbqbull
09-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Neil, glad you pulled off your pork cook.
I know you had really bad weather, worse that us here and our weather totaly sucked here.
Sorry about your basement have water issues.
Lots of street flooding here as well as basements totaly flooded here.
Thank goodness ours is dry.

Great job folks.

Bbq Bubba
09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Those that know me are chuckling right now.:biggrin: I'm what you might call pic post challenged.

To say the least......:twisted:

kitch
09-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Sam's for $1.38/lb.

FWIW same price that I saw in Rochester, MN yesterday...

I also been thinking of getting a floor fan at HarborFreightTools...maybe I should just incase it ever rains like that here... Yikes :(

barbefunkoramaque
09-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Buy a new one of these and keep it clean, Neil. You will not be sorry... unless you like to chop, chop, chop you pork.

Got to be sure the unit is new and clean and your Pork is especially tender...oh... and leave the bone in.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you... the porkofunkoramadoittoit.

jestridge
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
That were a lot of chicken I am hoping to have a large chicken/ rib cooker finish by end of week I started it today

michiana mark
09-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Well Neil it sounds as if you are ready for your first comp. Cooking and dealing with the weather, and perservering in the end. Congrats.:-P

DaChief
09-16-2008, 05:59 AM
You are one major pork puller my pic posting challenged brother!