PDA

View Full Version : Deckel Cut Brisket for Corned Beef or Pastrami?

The Giggler
09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Here's a question for all you New York City Folks.

Has anyone ever heard of Deckel Cut Brisket for Corned Beef or Pastrami? A friend was speaking of a Kosher Deli in NYC that used this cut, and said how good it was. He hasn't seen it since. We're all taking a cast and blast trip this fall (fly fishing and shooting), and I am going to make Pastrami to take along.

Thanks in advance.

thirdeye
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm not from NYC, but I have a guess here.....A lot of folks confuse the word "deckle" for the point of the brisket. I've gotten point in several deli's and it makes sense to serve it as it is moister and does hold better.

Bbq Bubba
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Deckle refers to the point of the brisket.
More fat content makes for pretty good pastrami.

The Giggler
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys. That stands to reason.

I guess the hard part is going to be using the "Deckel" for Pastrami, and not Burnt Ends....

thirdeye
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys. That stands to reason.

I guess the hard part is going to be using the "Deckel" for Pastrami, and not Burnt Ends....

Here is the lowdown on the term deckle, snipped from TVWB

The whole brisket you'll buy for barbecue is what the IMPS calls "beef brisket, deckle-off, boneless." The IMPS defines it as follows: "All bones and cartilage shall be removed. The deckle (hard fat and intercostal meat on the inside surface) shall be removed at the natural seam exposing the lean surface of the deep pectoral muscle. The inside lean surface shall be trimmed practically free of fat." The word "intercostal" refers to meat between the rib bones.

Contrary to popular belief, the deckle is not the same thing as the brisket point. Rather, it's the fat and muscle that attach the brisket flat to the rib cage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%203/Brisket1.jpg

You can see the relationship of the top af the flat and the ribs in this picture. The point is on the forward end (by the shank) of a brisket. Heavy chest fat on a big steer means a heavy band of fat on the point.

Bacon
09-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Very detailed info thirdeye. I learned a lot here.

I thought intercoastal was somewhere between California and the Carolina's.

swamprb
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Point cut for my Pastrami, and steamed to reheat.

I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Bentley
09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Contrary to popular belief, the deckle is not the same thing as the brisket point. Rather, it's the fat and muscle that attach the brisket flat to the rib cage.

I always thought the deckle was the fat between the point and the flat, wrong again!