PDA

View Full Version : Are your tastebuds toast???

Butt Ugly
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
After a day of tending the smoker, I think the smoke temporarily fries my tastebuds! My family goes nuts over the Q and there I am sheepishly surveying them for their opinion on how it tastes. The next day I can better taste the meat, but hey...I feel cheated I missed out on the original feast!

Anyone else experience this calamity? Kelly

Bob S
09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I think this is not uncommon. I definitely experience it sometimes, especially on long cooks.

Rookie'48
09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Double ditto to both ^^^^^ of the above.

1_T_Scot
09-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Sometimes I notice this also. Seems the more work, tending the better it tastes the next day.

If you are timing the meat with beer this will also have an effect!

crocker84
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I always enjoy the leftovers much more than the original feast. The smoke really throws me off after a day of tending a pit. I also think the smoke flavor mellows the next day which makes it better.

Smokin' Joe
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Same here...thats why I a bring a team to comp's...not necessarily for the help, although its nice, their most important job is taste testing:oops:

Desert Dweller
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I start off at a disadvantage. I smoked cigarettes for 40 years, and though it's been since 2001 since I last had one, I still need very powerful flavors to enjoy the food. I also think tending the smoker plays a part, so basically, I'm screwed...

bbqbull
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
After a day of tending the smoker, I think the smoke temporarily fries my tastebuds! My family goes nuts over the Q and there I am sheepishly surveying them for their opinion on how it tastes. The next day I can better taste the meat, but hey...I feel cheated I missed out on the original feast!

Anyone else experience this calamity? Kelly

Kelly your dead on.
I helped grill 450 chicken halves on big steel racks on Sunday.
I ate more greasy charcoal smoke than I care to speak about.
My entire body was a greasy mess, my tastebuds were dead.
Folks loved the chicken but I honestly have no idea.

My bbq always tastes better after a hot shower and a good nites sleep.
I reheat my Q and it seems to taste fine the next day to me.

BBQ Grail
09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago. I found the responses somewhat enlightening.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47528

ssbbqguy
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM
It is a problem most don't ever realize. That is one reason I love my microwave,to bring back what we missed.So many factors enter into tasting. I am doing alot of contest testing now, always more accurate the next day. Steve.

tommykendall
09-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Happens to me frequently and it's not only with BBQ. Pretty much every time I spend the better part of the day cooking. Thanksgiving is a good example. Tamale day is another.

Butt Ugly
09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago. I found the responses somewhat enlightening.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47528

Sure enough! I read through the posts on the link you provided...it seems many of us suffer from both fatigue and desensitized taste buds after a day of smoking! The sacrifices we make to feed our families and friends...and for some of you...judges. Speaking of judges...sounds like the judges should keep clear of the "smoke zone" before they judge the entries.

mbshop
09-10-2008, 01:22 AM
yep, systems are overwhelmed during the cook. i always find stuff smells and tastes better the day after.

Norcoredneck
09-10-2008, 01:44 AM
How about your clothes. Everyone says they smell like smoke.

Qcrue2U
09-10-2008, 01:49 AM
hahahah = yep, I go into a store after a smoke session reeking like smoke :)
One time last week, a couple of patrons behind me were kinda snikering.. I turned around and said, "What?" they mentioned I smelled like a camp fire... ehehehehhehe... I then gave them my business card... :)

DaChief
09-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Absolutely! I also enjoy it better the next day as well.

oscarsroost
09-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Glad to find out this is a common thing. I've always liked it better the next day. Didn't know why.

blues_n_cues
09-10-2008, 08:28 AM
happens here too- could be the beer but i usually cleanse the palate w/ some abts:-D

Pitbull
09-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Same here. I think it is becasue your nostrils and clothes are so permeated with the smoke and atomized grease. I have found that If I take a good hot shower before the feast it helps quite a bit, not to mention it kind of revives you too. I do that when the stuff hits the cooler.

tommykendall
09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
How about your clothes. Everyone says they smell like smoke.

Not me. I boil my food.

River City Smokehouse
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I was like that til I got a pellet cooker. Now I have my appetite back.

jeffjenkins1
09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I was like that til I got a pellet cooker. Now I have my appetite back.

Kinda of similar with me, since the drum, I don't have to stand over the pit and I enjoy my food better.

Jeff