PDA

View Full Version : Baby Backs vs. Spares

Bacon
09-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Tonight was my first time smoking spares. And I will tell you all, They are just as delicious as BB's and with more meat. I smoked three racks today. Pictures will follow soon..

I'm just curious as to who will vote for which. trying to do a poll.

I have always avoided spares, but now the St. Louis style is my way..

Edit.... instead of making a new thread I'll post yesterday's Q in here. The spares.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Tic/017-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Tic/025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Tic/055.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Tic/052.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Tic/212.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Tic/224.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/Tic/235.jpg

RixCue
09-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I am on the wall with this one . Around here all we get is full slabs of the spare rib . I have cooked them and seen folks to lazy to get the goody out of the sternum only nibbling around bone and tossing the rest. At a family cook out you kinda hate to tighten up on them , knowing they are wasting half of a product you paid good money for . So I have served St Louis cut and folks pass on the rib tips “ not my first choice either.” Cost wise I am just as well off to afford the baby backs and see folk clean the bones and not waste so much . If I could get St Louis cut and at a reasonable price, I might lean that way. I like to cook spares , they fit rib racks better .

Rick

big brother smoke
09-02-2008, 02:46 AM
My buddy and I were just pondering this today. We decided on BBs from Costco due to them being meatier and less in fat. We ultimately determined that BBs are less in fat, thus better for you :biggrin:

Paulie G.
09-02-2008, 02:57 AM
I used to prefer spares, but then I became spoiled by the giant rack of BB"s from Sam's. Can't turn 'em down. I don't know who's doing the trimming, but they're losing money on loin by the amount of meat on my racks.

JamesB
09-02-2008, 05:26 AM
Spares here.. more meat, more goodness...

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
09-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Grew up eating spares -- never heard of a baby back for maybe 40 years.

blues_n_cues
09-02-2008, 07:25 AM
for the price i like spares.bb's are rediculously expensive here-but then so is all other meat.:icon_bugeyed

HolySmoke
09-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Spares here.. more meat, more goodness...

I'm wit James on this one!

bowhnter
09-02-2008, 08:49 AM
BBs here

ipls3355
09-02-2008, 09:06 AM
My new best friend the butcher leaves a liberal amount of meat on the BB's. The wife also prefers them to spares. Its all baby backs at my house now.

Smokin Mike
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I generally use baby backs because everyone around here are use to them (thanks abunch Chili's), I personally like st. louis style, but hate the meat I throw away to make them, but at that price,,,,,

I noticed that here the poll is about even. I saw somewhere else it's spares 61%, BB 39%, with 570 folks polled

PaSmoker
09-02-2008, 10:06 AM
BB's for the ease of prep....but when I have the time, i do like St. L spares

darthtrader
09-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Spares here. The texture is great. I love the gelatenous bits that spares have that BBs don't have. They're cheaper too!

Trucky1008
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
I gotta say BB's, but that's due to the fact that I've only done spares once and the family prefers the BB's. Have to stick with what the "boss" wants!

smokinvic
09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I was a spares man myself for a long time. I started making the St. Lois style after reading up on them here on the Bretheren site. Pulling the membrane off was a great little insider method as well....

Then I found an ACTUAL butcher shop in Huntington Beach. I purchased a rather large babyback rack there. This was the absolte meatiest, largest baby back I have had and I was convinced that baby backs rock! You just have to purchase them at the right location. I am a baby back man myself.... the cost however, will keep me on the spares and the baby backs will be for those special occasions....

ssbbqguy
09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
For the same reason I order a Porterhouse or Filet when ordering steaks,not Chuck, is the same reason I prefer BBs. They come from next to the tenderloin, in my opinion the leaner, tastier meat. Nothing wrong with spares, when done right St. Louis style are a close second. Steve.

RichardF
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I generally use baby backs because everyone around here are use to them (thanks abunch Chili's), I personally like st. louis style, but hate the meat I throw away to make them, but at that price,,,,,

Ummm - You throw meat away when making spares???? Did I read that right???? No smoker snacks for the chef tand those hanging around??? No meat for chili or Brunswick stew??? There's a whole world of goodness in what you're throwing away :cry:

As far as the what's better, BB's or spares; can't we all just get along:rolleyes:

gotwood
09-02-2008, 03:03 PM
For the same reason I order a Porterhouse or Filet when ordering steaks,not Chuck, is the same reason I prefer BBs. They come from next to the tenderloin, in my opinion the leaner, tastier meat. Nothing wrong with spares, when done right St. Louis style are a close second. Steve.

tenderloin is definetaly more tender, but it's taste is bland compared to the cuts farther away. sirlion has one of the best flavors..but comes at the price of tenderness.

imo with how they are cooked , tenderness doesnt factor in and the spares have more flavor

Rightstuff
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
I've always been a die hard BB fan until recently. The more I cook, the more I seem to like the spares. My wife says same for her.

Mokin Bandit
09-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I like both but if given the choice I choose spares. I like the full piece of meat.

sampson
09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Spares all the way, trim 'em up St. Louis style and serve them wet... And as for all the trimmings, I cut out all the bone and crud and throw it into a gallon size bag that I save for seasoning beans and chili... Smoked rib trimmings in Kerry's bean recipe is to die for!!!

JD McGee
09-02-2008, 04:09 PM
BB's here as well...for comps I cook spares...the judges like the meaty ones. :-P

Ducksmoke
09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
BB's here. I had alway done spares, but once the family had BB's, that's all they want now.

HB-BBQ
09-02-2008, 05:34 PM
BB's only for me, I have never cared much for the spares. My friends and family love bb's as much as I do. The price is not an issue either for as little as I get to smoke nowadays I want the good stuff when I do :mrgreen:

Carbon
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm cheap so I always get spare ribs.

barbefunkoramaque
09-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Spare cut in the Popdaddy Method (like a P) and the silverskin (membrane) ATTACHED

Nothing but good moist tender ribs

with a Slurry Rub.. not a paste

JohnMcD348
09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
I think I've only ever done BB's once or twice. I voted Spares because I just like them better. It's not so much a taste thing, I just like more meat on my bones. They cook about the same so why not get more for your efforts.

stonella
09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I think spares are an excellent choice being the price they are. I think that babybacks are excellent, dont get me wrong but for the price, the spares always come out excellent. I trim most of the fat and remove the membrane and they are just as tender as babybacks

Rookie'48
09-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I read Bacon's post, voted for spares & posted this. Now I'll go back & see what every body else said :biggrin:.

Rookie'48
09-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Now that I've read all of the above ..... I usually trim full slabs of spares into St. Louis cuts. The flap meat & trimmings go into the grinder for home made sausage. If I don't feel like cooking the rib tips then they get pretty well stripped of meat & that goes for ground also. On the last case of spares from Sam's there was 12 1/2 pounds of ground pork after trimming. I ain't about to toss that much $$$ away :eek:.

tommykendall
09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I started with BBs cuz that's wht I was able to get the hang of first, but now I'm pretty much a spare man.

NCGrimbo
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I've not done spares in the few years that I've been smoking. BB's are all I do. I like them and the spares seem like more work. Oh, did I mention that I'm lazy? Just peel and cook the BB's. No need to trim, etc. like you do with spares. And, BB's are easier to eat.

wlh3
09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I much perfer the spares. My wife use to perfer the BB's. Since I joined the Brethern my technique has improved and now my wife and I both agree:eek: its spares for us:icon_bigsmil

Divemaster
09-03-2008, 12:53 PM
It's spares for my family!

Trim them up St. L., remove the membrain, season and smoke all of it, ribs, tips, & Skirt!

Skirt is for the cook for snaking or to be saved for beans, the ribs are for dinner, and the tips are cut up for snacking during the race!

Sir Smoke A Lot
09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Can I say "Both"? There are times where the delicate nature of a BB appeals to me - especially served dry rubbed only. When I am in the mood to chow - St. Louis all the way. I have really got into tips this year and the best ones I can find are the ones I trim myself. When I do vending - it is all spares - They are much more consistent throughout the rack in terms of size.