PDA

View Full Version : Wine Barrel Smoker...this is kind of cool...

BBQ Grail
08-31-2008, 06:18 PM
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/art/821371812.html

I think I want one of these. But not for $500.00

Barbarian, can you get me a hook up with a winery up your way?

Smokin Turkey
08-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Thats crazy sweet! I think you would have to keep it well oiled if you don't want to problem another forum poster talked about with the drying out and the air leaks. sweet idea though!

mbshop
08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
nice. rather well thought out. nothing cheap or junkie about that. i can see the price but just not for me.

1_T_Scot
08-31-2008, 07:40 PM
It's pretty cool. Not sure about how long it would last. Wonder if you could slip it over a UDS? That would be really cool to use it as a cover.

Norcoredneck
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
It's pretty cool. Not sure about how long it would last. Wonder if you could slip it over a UDS? That would be really cool to use it as a cover.
Would be cool to take a 35 gallon drum cut it and taper a cut down 55 and weld it for a liner. Could be removed to clean. Man if I only had a wine barrel and no backlog of projects. :eusa_clap

Bbq Bubba
08-31-2008, 11:12 PM

UDS trojan??? :biggrin:

Midnight Smoke
08-31-2008, 11:16 PM
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/art/821371812.html

I don't know the difference but I bought a full Whiskey barrel from Home Depot. Not full of Whiskey! I usually get 1/2 barrel's for planters. Think it was like $50.00 bucks.

Norcoredneck
08-31-2008, 11:16 PM
OK brain rattling in my skull like a BB in a shoe box. How about a large ceramic flower pot down in bottom, hole bored in barrel and pot with old rustic "Tap looking valve for air intake.

Bbq Bubba
08-31-2008, 11:20 PM
OK brain rattling in my skull like a BB in a shoe box. How about a large ceramic flower pot down in bottom, hole bored in barrel and pot with old rustic "Tap looking valve for air intake.

Stop it....
Did you forget backlog of projects?? :twisted:

Monty
08-31-2008, 11:26 PM
[quote=trp1fox;726256]

quote]

I think it's cool, and could lend some very interesting flavors, compared to steel ... and it's a better insulator.

if he can do one "in a day or two" and a used barrel runs around $85, he's charging a pretty penny for his time and ingenuity.

I think a good proper seasoning/curing process would be important, but a flare up could spell disaster as well.

cool idea though.

BBQ Grail
08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
I think a good proper seasoning/curing process would be important, but a flare up could spell disaster as well.

The first thought I had was the time I didn't shut my UDS down all the way and suddenly the temp was 400+ degrees...

That would be a big time oops with this one.

BBQ Grail
08-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Okay, what are your thoughts on exhaust and intakes. There doesn't appear to be any.

I see a hole or two in the side.

Qcrue2U
09-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Yea, it almost looks like the 1 air hole I see, is below the water bowl and grate!!

Beerwolf
09-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Im pretty far from being a wine snob... but arent those things a little stained after having wine sit in them for a year or 2? ( I realize it was probably white wine, but I dont really see any discoloration on the inside. Ive dealt with milling old wine tank stock for other applications, the aroma is fantastic! If you are going to that much work with a barrel, get one that has had RED wine in it; it will drive the neighbors crazy.

BBQ Grail
09-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Okay, what are your thoughts on exhaust and intakes. There doesn't appear to be any.

Yea, it almost looks like the 1 air hole I see, is below the water bowl and grate!!

I figured it out. That's the bung hole.

I'm picking up two wine barrels tomorrow for $50.00. Will starting figuring stuff out, but this will have to be a Spring time project.

Rightstuff
09-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Please keep us posted on your progress with the wine barrels. I for one...am very interested in this. Thanks!

Monty
09-01-2008, 10:41 AM

yeah.. and any bung holes you don't like.. just stick a cork in them! Or a wine barrel tap for air flow control.
I don't imagine you would want to build a very hot fire in that thing... never-the-less, if I was doing it, i would would try and use some sort of flanged copper/brass/steel/Aluminum.. take your pick... insert for the exhaust vent hole (flange on inside) ... as i think that may be your hottest spot. otherwise a simple hole in the lid without protection may self-ignite if it gets hot enough and there's enough buildup on the hole... just a question of what temp* that wood gets to, cause we already know wood burns, and as you say.. if your intake is too much open or accidently left open look out... you may hit that magic temp. whatever it is.

Barbarian
09-01-2008, 11:06 PM
I am curious about how he can make one of those last more then a couple of cooks. I have some around the house for looks and the ones I don't put water in dry out and shrink within about two months and cannot hold water again. The ones I have full of water are just fine. So how do you smoke in that thing and not have the oak dry out and shrink?

Nice looking but . . . . . .

I agree with BeerWolf that the one in the photo does not look like it has ever stored wine, not really discolored like every red or white wine barrel I have cut up for smoking wood.

BBQ Grail
09-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I am curious about how he can make one of those last more then a couple of cooks. I have some around the house for looks and the ones I don't put water in dry out and shrink within about two months and cannot hold water again. The ones I have full of water are just fine. So how do you smoke in that thing and not have the oak dry out and shrink?

Nice looking but . . . . . .

I agree with BeerWolf that the one in the photo does not look like it has ever stored wine, not really discolored like every red or white wine barrel I have cut up for smoking wood.

Norco and I think a good soaking between smokes would be appropriate. I've got a couple of barrels lined up...

cmcadams
09-02-2008, 07:19 AM
www.usedwinebarrels.com is a good source. I think I'd consider putting an electric element in one of these, just to be sure on temp control. It definitely is better looking than my UDS! :)

Rooster
09-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Why not cut a piece of aluminum or sheet metal to fit under the lid and flange an exhaust tube flanged on the inside. That would probably protect the under side of the lid from getting too hot. It would basically be like the lid on a metal drum at that point.

kitch
09-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Well...

I've made one of these....

it does work.

but thank to the USD threads I've figured out a lot of things that need to be done in order for it to work.

So for those of you who have won a JACK Barrel or bought one...here's what I would do.

I would somehow line the bottom with a sheet of thick steal. (highly suggest round walls up about 24 inches in height to protect that bottom wood) I used a round concrete patio block that over time just broke and I needed to buy another one. (plus the patio block was heavy and made it even harder to move.

I would put wheels on the bottom.

I would make a UDS basket.

I would scrap the water pan idea...this only made my charcoal needed to be added to more often and just became a PITA as I couldn't easily refill my bottom pan.

I had 4 vent holes the bottom with just a round piece of sheet metal to slide over the holes to open or close.

I plugged the bunghole with a hunk of wood had carved to match it.

I made just one large hole in the top with a used stack from an other off set smoker I had.

I had a few issues...

I needed to run screws on each of the bands into the wood to hold the bands in place when I cut off the top.

I also had problems after about 2 years of the wood just drying out and creating cracks and warps that left 2 much air leaks and I could no longer control my temps without going insane.

I would suggest some type of sealer on the wood to prevent that from happening but what I really don't know....I know the sun beat it more than my smoking did.

in the short run...it works....in the long run (2+yrs) it didn't for me...

I'm now the proud owner of new issues (uds) and the rusting issues.. :)
POWDERCOATING here i come once I get my "drum down"

kitch
09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
one other thing....

the very 1st smoke you do....

omg...the most insane tasting que I've ever had.

IMHO...if I could afford it I would be chopping up the barrels for the wood instead...the wine flavors just seemed to really get into my meat.

that or it was the 2 or 6 bottles of the wine that was made from MY barrel. ;)

garyk1398
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
one other thing....

the very 1st smoke you do....

omg...the most insane tasting que I've ever had.

IMHO...if I could afford it I would be chopping up the barrels for the wood instead...the wine flavors just seemed to really get into my meat.

that or it was the 2 or 6 bottles of the wine that was made from MY barrel. ;)

Any pron of that bad boy?

sampson
09-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I figured it out. That's the bung hole.

I'm picking up two wine barrels tomorrow for $50.00. Will starting figuring stuff out, but this will have to be a Spring time project.

Larry, I love you! My wife was looking over my shoulder last night at your signature, listing all of your cookers, and commented "Maybe I shouldn't be so upset about five bbqs on my back porch, at least your not that guy!" And now you're going for a couple of more, that means I can get away with at least another one, thank you!

BBQ Grail
09-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Larry, I love you! My wife was looking over my shoulder last night at your signature, listing all of your cookers, and commented "Maybe I shouldn't be so upset about five bbqs on my back porch, at least your not that guy!" And now you're going for a couple of more, that means I can get away with at least another one, thank you!

That's nice...show her my new signature line...

BobBrisket
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
That is a really cool idea.........but in my opinion it's one bad flare up away from becoming a big ol wood chunk. I'd be wary of selling something like that just because of the liabilty if it caught fire on someone. That's a smoker I would never leave unattended.
It's a toy I wouldn't mind having, but the price is pretty steep.

Instead of thick, heavy liners, couldn't it be lined with plaster mesh and then use something like cement, or even adobe to line the inside with? Smoking temps wouldn't be high enough to do any serious damage to cement or even adobe liners. Adobe turns rock hard after it sets up and is used in many outdoor ovens for pizza and bread.

kitch
09-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Any pron of that bad boy?

sorry about 5 or 6 yrs. ago :(

kitch
09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
That is a really cool idea.........but in my opinion it's one bad flare up away from becoming a big ol wood chunk. I'd be wary of selling something like that just because of the liabilty if it caught fire on someone. That's a smoker I would never leave unattended.
It's a toy I wouldn't mind having, but the price is pretty steep.

Instead of thick, heavy liners, couldn't it be lined with plaster mesh and then use something like cement, or even adobe to line the inside with? Smoking temps wouldn't be high enough to do any serious damage to cement or even adobe liners. Adobe turns rock hard after it sets up and is used in many outdoor ovens for pizza and bread.

seems like a good idea....could work...
there should be plenty of room inside..

take a photo of my wooden barrel smoker and post it in the next week.

Barbarian
09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Larry and Pat, I don't think a good soaking after the smoke is going to help. Kitch is in Minn. so his lasted a bit longer then I would expect out here in flat/hot Sacramento and hot/hot Norco. The smoking isn't the problem I see it is the endless hours in the dry air that will dry up and shrink the oak. It looks cool, but I just don't think you will get much time cookin for the time you put in building. Just my two cents, good luck.

kitch
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.smokinjoesbq.com/joessmokebarrelbq.html

where I think I got the idea from....

kitch
09-02-2008, 12:43 PM
http://www.smokinjoesbq.com/images/smkbrl_info.pdf

BBQ Grail
09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Larry and Pat, I don't think a good soaking after the smoke is going to help. Kitch is in Minn. so his lasted a bit longer then I would expect out here in flat/hot Sacramento and hot/hot Norco. The smoking isn't the problem I see it is the endless hours in the dry air that will dry up and shrink the oak. It looks cool, but I just don't think you will get much time cookin for the time you put in building. Just my two cents, good luck.

Wll geeze Jerry! Thanks for popping my bubble. I'll bet you enjoy telling small children there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bbq Bubba
09-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Wll geeze Jerry! Thanks for popping my bubble. I'll bet you enjoy telling small children there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

THERE ISIN'T??? :eek: :eek: :twisted:

Barbarian
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks Bubba, I just could not tell Larry that.
Sorry Larry, again it is just my thoughts and what I have seen with 5 barrels around my house and yard. Even the ones used as planters dried up over time. The one with the bung hole corked is one of two filled with water and they are fine. I just think it is to dry up here.

kitch
09-03-2008, 10:01 AM
one more thing...the piece where the bung hole was at...is the worst...

it cracked across the entire piece of wood just like yours.

The Pickled Pig
09-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Why not just keep it full of water in between cooks? That would keep it from drying out and minimize the probability of it catching fire and probably produce some very moist Q.

Barbarian
09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
yeah you could transfer the water from the wine barrel to a metal drum then back after the smoke and change the water every six months or so to avoid bad stuff growing in it. I add a bit of bleach to mine barrels on the porch to avoid that bad stuff.

BBQ Grail
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
yeah you could transfer the water from the wine barrel to a metal drum then back after the smoke and change the water every six months or so to avoid bad stuff growing in it. I add a bit of bleach to mine barrels on the porch to avoid that bad stuff.

That sounds like a little more work than I want to do.

Your insights on invaluable. (sincere mod)

BobBrisket
09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
What if you let the barrel dry out until gaps started to form. Then, you grind down the rivets and losen the bands a few at a time. Then drive some self tapping screws into each stave where the band sits on it and as you move on to each stave you close the gaps and drive another screw into each stave. In the end, you close up all the gaps and the self tapping screws will hold the straps and staves as well as the whole barrel together. Lots of work, but sounds like it would work in theory anyway.
Did I make any sense?:-D

BBQ Grail
09-03-2008, 03:30 PM
What if you let the barrel dry out until gaps started to form. Then, you grind down the rivets and losen the bands a few at a time. Then drive some self tapping screws into each stave where the band sits on it and as you move on to each stave you close the gaps and drive another screw into each stave. In the end, you close up all the gaps and the self tapping screws will hold the straps and staves as well as the whole barrel together. Lots of work, but sounds like it would work in theory anyway.
Did I make any sense?:-D

I have now officially abandoned this project. I'm getting me some liquid smoke and George Foreman grill...

Brauma
09-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I have now officially abandoned this project. I'm getting me some liquid smoke and George Foreman grill...

I had a feeling that was coming. :lol:

This project looks like its more trouble than its worth. Just build a UDS and be done with it.

BobBrisket
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
LMAO!! Go with the UDS instead. A smoker made out of wood just doesn't seem to be the best idea..........

kitch
09-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I Would 100000% Agree!!!

Barbarian
09-03-2008, 05:42 PM

Don't forget you can boil the ribs in 1/2 water & 1/2 liqud smoke solution to get that good smokey taste.

Barbarian
09-03-2008, 05:44 PM
BobBrisket, that might sound like a sound idea, but I think it is the swelling of the staves that make the barrels liquid tight. I know barrel making is a art in itself so I doubt that your method would have much of a chance and seems alot of work to me.

BBQ Grail
09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
I had a feeling that was coming. :lol:

This project looks like its more trouble than its worth. Just build a UDS and be done with it.

LMAO!! Go with the UDS instead. A smoker made out of wood just doesn't seem to be the best idea..........

I got me a UDS already.

N8man
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
You Gotta Admit That The Coolness Factor is Way Up There, Though..
http://www.whiskeybarrelsmoker.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/08fa88acbf90bf495c7f681157e11c41.jpg