PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Gustov

TangSooDoMan
08-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone, we are just hours from land fall from Hurricane Gustov (I live in Slidell LA). Just wanted to let you know that this storm is not going to stop my Q! I am seasoning a brisket to put on the smoker tomorrow morning, we are supposed to be having Tropical Force winds by that time, but it's not going to stop me. Keep on Q-ing!

sampson
08-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Hmmm? Are you sure that's a good idea? Can a person really "karate" a hurricane? Hope you will be fine and that your brisket and "butt" come through ok!

Monty
08-31-2008, 05:45 PM
I know where Slidell is, and it's obviouse you got some good size gonads, but i can't figure out what happened to your common sense!... oh wait.. now i know.. i saw pics on TV... I-10 is one big parking lot from miss to texas going west.

ok ... never mind.. good luck bro! smoke on!

Trucky1008
08-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Is your smoker anchored down? I would think it'd be a little tough to keep temps steady with 100 mph winds!:eek:

CritterCrusher
08-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I love hurricane party's. We have had a few when I lived south of Corpus Christi, TX so I know what your getting ready to go through. Cheers & Goooood-Luck!!!!

nmayeux
08-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I'll probably be heading down to Abita Springs later this week to check on my family. Hope all goes well, and take some good pics of the smoker in the storm!

sterlingsmoker
08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Good Luck Brother!! KEEP THE FIRE BURNIN!!!

LMAJ
08-31-2008, 06:14 PM
Be safe man - we want to see you when Gustov blows out of town.

Monty
08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
REMEMBER... no pron.. it didn't happen!!!

BBQ Grail
08-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Be safe!

fivelombardis
08-31-2008, 06:58 PM
just goes to prove Texas is one of the most friendly and hospitable States in the Union! these people could be headed north, but most are headed west to Texas. WOOT for the Lone Star State.

BBQ Bandit
08-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Hope you have a heckuva wind-break....

....or is this a real-time test of a Stoker or Digi-q?

Got the thermos ready?

Meat Burner
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Tang, ya'all be careful down there.:wink:

thirdeye
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
I love hurricane party's. We have had a few when I lived south of Corpus Christi, TX so I know what your getting ready to go through. Cheers & Goooood-Luck!!!!

And the after parties....once electricity is gone the good stuff comes out of the freezer first, and on to the pit.

When I lived in Corpus Christi, my family did not evacuate for hurricanes, instead we opted to ride-em-out. It was very exciting. The three storms I went through were Carla (1961), Beulah (1967) and Celia (1970). Celia was just about a direct hit on Corpus Christi. The standard drill was to board up the house, break out the white-gas lanterns, flashlights and blankets, move anything like lawn furniture and flower pots into the garage, fill the bathtubs and any other containers with water, then go shopping. The plan was to plan for the unexpected. That being said, here is a 1960s era shopping list of things we purchased in the calm before the storm. Some of these items (like coffee, candy, cigarettes and beer) were purchased in quantity and used for trading for ice or gasoline.

coffee, tea, instant cocoa
dried and canned milk
dried potatoes, beans, macaroni and rice
flour, sugar, baking powder, oatmeal
salt, pepper, red pepper, chili powder
canned beef and ham
canned vegetables and fruit
peanut butter, honey, nuts, raisins, popcorn
canned shortening
chocolate bars and hard candies
aspirin, iodine, laxative, bug dope, bandages, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, razor blades
aluminum foil
charcoal and lighter, candles, batteries.
cigarettes, lighter fluid and flints
beer
ice

Meat Burner
08-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Looks like that covers all the food, comfort, and emergency groups. Very nice.

jacob
08-31-2008, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't worry so much about the Hurricane, but the water surge and uncompleted levi's would cause concern. Goodluck and be safe and by all means hang on to the Brisket.

ipls3355
08-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Stay safe, don't be stupid.

1_T_Scot
08-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Good luck We will be looking for Pron. Food and Huricane Pron too.

Bacon
08-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Hmmm? Are you sure that's a good idea? Can a person really "karate" a hurricane? Hope you will be fine and that your brisket and "butt" come through ok!

This guy Sampson is classic everytime. :eusa_clap

Good luck with everything.

Desert Dweller
08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
My only question would be; What kind of wind break are you gonna use to protect the vents from letting in too much air? A house? A car?

Good luck and God Bless...

Cre-B-Ce
08-31-2008, 10:00 PM
It was breezy here in Mobile for a while, but has now calmed down. They said our weather will be bad in the morning. Looks like we'll be mostly o.k. over here. All the gas stations are already running out. Stay safe and don't forget the pron.

ewile
08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
good luck bro...

Monty
08-31-2008, 10:30 PM
just goes to prove Texas is one of the most friendly and hospitable States in the Union! these people could be headed north, but most are headed west to Texas. WOOT for the Lone Star State.

yep... Oh Boy! for us .....

Forney
08-31-2008, 10:45 PM
My only question would be; What kind of wind break are you gonna use to protect the vents from letting in too much air? A house? A car?

Good luck and God Bless...

Or what are you gonna use to protect the vents from letting in too much water? Please be safe!

Norcoredneck
09-01-2008, 12:23 AM
And the after parties....once electricity is gone the good stuff comes out of the freezer first, and on to the pit.

That being said, here is a 1960s era shopping list of things we purchased in the calm before the storm. Some of these items (like coffee, candy, cigarettes and beer) were purchased in quantity and used for trading for ice or gasoline.

coffee, tea, instant cocoa
dried and canned milk
dried potatoes, beans, macaroni and rice
flour, sugar, baking powder, oatmeal
salt, pepper, red pepper, chili powder
canned beef and ham
canned vegetables and fruit
peanut butter, honey, nuts, raisins, popcorn
canned shortening
chocolate bars and hard candies
aspirin, iodine, laxative, bug dope, bandages, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, razor blades
aluminum foil
charcoal and lighter, candles, batteries.
cigarettes, lighter fluid and flints
beer
ice

Tell me you got rid of it!:biggrin:

Batten down the Brisket brother. Stay safe.

Rookie'48
09-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Good luck, Brother. Hang on tight, save the brisky & your "butt". Pron to follow, right? :biggrin:

blues_n_cues
09-01-2008, 05:39 AM
good luck & take lots of pics. i've never seen flying brisket.

tommykendall
09-02-2008, 11:40 AM
That needs to get back over to Cattle Call. Been awhile...

garyk1398
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
REMEMBER... no pron.. it didn't happen!!!

Like Monte said. We gotta see the pron, just be careful!

TangSooDoMan
09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Made it though just fine. We are about the only neighborhood in the Parish that has power back. I waited until this morning to but the brisket on the smoker, so the wind wouldn't be a factor. Thanks for all the well wishes, SMOKE ON BROTHERS!

sampson
09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Glad to hear all is well, I was just noticing that you hadn't posted for a while and was beginning to be concerned. Now there's no excuse for the lack of pics:wink:

Trucky1008
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Good news to hear that you made it through okay. My wife's relative lives in Covington and he stayed as well. Keep your eye out on Ike!