PDA

View Full Version : Salmon for 300

big brother smoke
08-31-2008, 11:01 AM
We got a gig coming up in two weeks for 300. They want salmon (I am going to cedar plank them), baked beans, pineapple coleslaw and potato salad. I am trying to figure out the best way to serve the salmon 8 oz. portions. There will be two serving lines.

Chafers?
Platters?

Cannot use the planks, as I will not being purchasing 300.

I need some suggestions. Nothing to fancy as this is a casual atmosphere.

Bigmista
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
That is a hard one. especially with 8oz portions. You can't really stack them is a chaffer. They will break up.

CB
08-31-2008, 11:35 AM
The local chamber of commerce in my Seattle neighborhood, Ballard, sponsors a seafood festival each year. They always serve thousands of folks freshly smoked salmon. Their method is pretty simple and I share it with you for some inspiration.

They've built large 4-sided metal ovens that fold up for storage. They stand about 3 feet tall and each long side is about 4 feet and the sides about 3 feet wide. Inside they've welded simple brackets to hold heavy-duty diamond pattern wire racks. They build a small file of alder wood on a bed of sand and let it start to smolder - two fellas lift the boxes into which a couple of these wire racks have been placed and loaded skin-side down on foil, dozens of chum salmon...and place the box over the smokey fire. A simple metal lid fits over the top...there are a few holes in it to allow smoke to escape.

The result is a properly cooked whole salmon (I asked about the use of chum and one of the long-time cooks said it was because the fat content allowed a greater margin of error) they carry the box to the service line and lift the salmon out on the foil, cutting it into service pieces.

Hope this helps inspire your effort!

Dr_KY
08-31-2008, 11:56 AM
What's the price of wood wraps like these over there?

http://www.barbecuewood.com/-strse-Grilling-Papers/Categories.bok

You wouldn't have to buy planks plus they will look better and stay together for service.

Contact someone about a bulk discount and you may be on to a winner.

big brother smoke
08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
The local chamber of commerce in my Seattl neighborhood, Ballard, sponsors a seafood festival each year. They always serve thousands of folks freshly smoked salmon. Their method is pretty simple and I share it with you for some inspiration.

They've built large 4-sided metal ovens that fold up for storage. They stand about 3 feet tall and each long side is about 4 feet and the sides about 3 feet wide. Inside they've welded simple brackets to hold heavy-duty diamond pattern wire racks. They build a small file of alder wood on a bed of sand and let it start to smolder - two fellas life the boxes into which a couple of these wire racks have been placed and loaded skin-side down on foil, dozens of chum salmon...and place the box over the smokey fire. A simple metal lid fits over the top...there are a few holes in it to allow smoke to escape.

The results is a properly cooked whole salmon (I asked about the use of chum and one of the long-time cooks said it was because the fat content allowed a greater margin of error) they carry the box to the service line and life the salmon out on the foil, cutting it into service pieces.

Hope this helps inspire your effort!

Thanks for the inspiration! How do they serve it to the public? Chaffers, plated, platters, etc.?

Dr_KY
08-31-2008, 12:40 PM
*picture robbed from one of his other post*

Don Marco style..

http://mybbq.net/forum/userpix/57_DGM_062_Medium_1.jpg

CB
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM
They serve it in spatula size portions - I'd say between 6-8 oz. on plates with cole slaw and side of garlic bread.

Bbq Bubba
08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
2x12 cedar planks......(deck mod) :cool:

MRI_Guy
08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
For 300 - I would probably cut the salmon into service sized portions before cooking and leave the skin on.

Chaffing dishes will probably be OK as long as you stack each layer perpendicular to each other and let folks use tongs.

Finally, use wild caught Alaskan salmon - preferrably Coho/Silvers that are fresh. Being lower in fat content and fresh - they should hold their shape better than other species. If it is frozen - then the species won't make THAT much of a difference.

And please - for the love of God - don't use Atlantic or farmed salmon. I would prefer Chum/dogs over that (and I equate chum to be the 'carp' of salmons).

I would also use a rub that was fairly heavy in brown sugar - as the glaze should also help the fish keep its shape for serving.

Beerwolf
09-01-2008, 02:13 AM
There is a Salmon Festival in Fort Bragg California that is billed as the "Worlds largest" Ive been and the Salmon is fantastic. The marinade is pretty simple ( go to food tv.com and search" worlds largest salmon festival") I pretty much follow that recipe, except for a little EVOO. The serving sized chunks are first cooked FLESH SIDE DOWN and then flipped to finish on the skin. This makes for great grille marks and a lot more durable product.

big brother smoke
09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
I am using Coho or Sockeye. I'd get my arse kicked if I showed up with Atlantic.
These folks work for a Marine company in Washington!

Norcoredneck
09-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Hey Stef how about going to a lumber yard and gettin untreated cedar planks, much like fence boards. Cut them to fit in pans and have spacers so you could layer (Stack) planks. 2-3 rows per layer X how many portions per plank X 2-3 layers (Stacked). Plank could lay on grill with individual portions and pank lifted when done and put in schafer pan. Server lift off plank and on to plate.

big brother smoke
09-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey Stef how about going to a lumber yard and gettin untreated cedar planks, much like fence boards. Cut them to fit in pans and have spacers so you could layer (Stack) planks. 2-3 rows per layer X how many portions per plank X 2-3 layers (Stacked). Plank could lay on grill with individual portions and pank lifted when done and put in schafer pan. Server lift off plank and on to plate.

Already ordered the planks from a company in Maine at .45 per. This was an exceptional price. I like your ideas!