PDA

View Full Version : brisket post

bobaftt
08-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I will be posting pron tomorrow and then saturday as it gets done. I just want to make sure my gameplan is right for the first brisket I try.
here is the rub I plan to use (feel free to tell me different ingredients or something else entirely if you think it needs it)
.5 TBSP red pepper
.5 TBSP Paprika
1/3 cup Turbinado sugar
1/3 cup montreal steak seasoning
1 teaspoon ground mustard

I plan to smoke it between 225 and 250 until it hits 165 and then foil it until 190. then cooler for 2-3 hours and serve with baked beans and potato salad.

Whatcha think?

gpalasz
08-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Sounds like you have a game plan, I dont care for much sugar in my brisky rub, but others do...its all preference. Good luck w/ your cook....dont forget the pron!!:-D

BBQ Grail
08-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Me too on the sugar. To much for me.

gpalasz
08-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Forgot to say...add some salt and pepper...a little onyawn and garlic powder wouldnt hurt. Most brisket rubs contain a lot of salt. Beef and salt are friends.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Montreal Seasoning has some heat to it as does the red pepper. Be careful that it isn't gonna be too hot for you.

bobaftt
08-28-2008, 06:45 PM
what do you guys suggest for a rub if I don't use what I made?

gpalasz
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Keep it simple. Salt/pepper/garlic/onionpowder. You can not go wrong w/ a simple rub like this for brisky. I use a couple commercial rubs w/ good results too. But again if you are making the rub..the ingredients listed will compliment the great taste of brisket...im getting hungry just thinking about it.

keend
08-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Drop the sugar and you are good to go.

Unless you just like sweet red meat.

Gowan
08-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Forgot to say...add some salt and pepper...a little onyawn and garlic powder wouldnt hurt. Most brisket rubs contain a lot of salt. Beef and salt are friends.

All those ingredients are in the Montreal Steak seasoning in large quantities.

gpalasz
08-28-2008, 07:30 PM
All those ingredients are in the Montreal Steak seasoning in large quantities.

My bad..didnt see the mont...:shock:

Plowboy
08-28-2008, 07:35 PM
That's not a lot of paprika. You could bump that up.

bobaftt
08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
ok I added a tablespoon of salt how much paprika should I add?

Rooster
08-28-2008, 07:55 PM
I use the 4-1-1 method and always like it.

4 parts kosher salt
1 part black pepper
1 part garlic powder

If you want a little more kick add 1/2 part chili powder.

I make up a large batch at one time and use it for several cooks.

Plowboy
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
ok I added a tablespoon of salt how much paprika should I add?

I'd got with a couple of tablespoons for color and add more once you see what that looks like.

bobaftt
08-28-2008, 08:06 PM
thanks so much for all the tips!!!! how long do you think a 9lber will take "roughly"? to get to 165 and then to 195? Also should the probe go in the point or the flat? Or should i check both? Should I remove the point and finish it separately for any reason? I am kind of lost on the brisket. I feel like the pork butt has come out well in the past and I am trying to increase my versatility for football season.

bobaftt
08-28-2008, 08:24 PM
also do I need to inject?

barbefunkoramaque
08-28-2008, 08:47 PM
thanks so much for all the tips!!!! how long do you think a 9lber will take "roughly"? to get to 165 and then to 195? Also should the probe go in the point or the flat? Or should i check both? Should I remove the point and finish it separately for any reason? I am kind of lost on the brisket. I feel like the pork butt has come out well in the past and I am trying to increase my versatility for football season.

I think it would be cool if we all excepted a challenge and only cooked BBQ Brisket for one week ONLY with Koshur Salt and Cracked pepper. No injection, no rubs, nothing but Salt and Pepper. Everyone starting with that perfect little Packer you have (I have not seen a 9 Lb Flat). If that is a 9 Lb packer that is UNTRIMMED wowza... that could be good... if it has a bend to it in the middle better yet.

I will say this repeatedly... Rubs put your own signature on it but being obsessed over this I see many a good cook cook briskets for 5 years worrying bout rubs and still want to know why their Brisket is not good enough. It like in automotive world those guys that upgrade the exhaust, ignition and fuel pump when they have a few cylinders that are in the 50 Lbs range. They don't fix the fundamentals

That being said IMHO - Don't trim... the probe goes laterally into the fat layer between the two sections.

Now on a 9 pounder at my temp you can expect 9 -10 hours to reach 200 or so provided its not stubborn in the stall. You should put it on 12 hours before and then when its done let it rest for the rest of time.

Smoke at GRATE TEMP 250 to 270... 270 preferred, fat down. If you have this probe in and wired outside theres no reason to look at it until 160-170 as you wish... 170 is better. Then there's the "stall." Esp in a Packer cut they tend to hold on to 170 or so for a bit. Don't touch nuthin as far as fire or temp.

It is important to let the meat GET TO 200 and stay there for 30 or so... you can even shut the smoker down if you want. or if you like it less tender 190... but let it stay there a bit. 195 is good if u rest. i choose 204 because i usually cook 5 or more at a time and I am sure one is probably 195 or so when my probed one is 204.

Then I like to split those sections and reseason in between those layers. If they don't split easy with the back of your knife It needs more time. I then Wrap in butcher paper then foil and let it rest at least 3 to four hours in a cooler. If you have that one brisket preheat the cooler and cover brisket in newspaper to hold heat in. If you like Bark get your smoker back up to temp (this is when your guests arrive) pop the brisket in unwrapped for 15 or so minutes.

Lately now that I have been doing that seasoning between the layers I have presplit briskets and simply separate them, push off that fat leaving a little bit, reseason and pop in the smoker.., I get a nice thin crusty layer.

All this being said...

The age old master of Brisket and BBQ Walter Jetton made simmered his brisket in a dutch oven before he smoked it a few hours on an open pit.

Can you make a brisket good without resting... sure... but that brisket will never reach its zenith without it.

Montreal Is PERFECT for brisket. Pack it on with your hand. No mopping.. maybe a spray but I don't spray PURPOSELY only if I open the pit for some reason. My spray ain't nuthin special either. I use a johnson sprayer.

Pitmaster "T"

barbefunkoramaque
08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I use the 4-1-1 method and always like it.

4 parts kosher salt
1 part black pepper
1 part garlic powder

If you want a little more kick add 1/2 part chili powder.

I make up a large batch at one time and use it for several cooks.

I don't know who this guy is but he has it right... see the simplicity... Only thing I'd tweak is use Granulated Garlic and Cracked pepper... ****... put peppercorns in a ziplock bag and roll with a damn rollin pin.

The reason I like this rooster guy... Is a guy that can make a good brisket with those three little things.... Has to do well in the cooking and smoking of it.

Even his name... rooster, imparts goodness as everyone knows a rooster fries up much more tasty than a hen anyday.

barbefunkoramaque
08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd got with a couple of tablespoons for color and add more once you see what that looks like.

This Plowboy guy too... 1st in Brisker and well placed in Chix either 2 or 3rd at a legitimate Competition...the Big Mo. You usually don;t see a Brisket place that high with a chicken chaser or the other way around so this guy is a good one to listen to as well.

I have my eye on you!