PDA

View Full Version : Kicking off my BBQ Vacation

NelsonC
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
So my wife had travel for a week-long course, and after seriously contemplating a week to myself at home, I opted for something a little more fun. As some of you know, I am preparing for my first contest coming up in October, so I’m doing all I can go hone my skills before then. Instead of looking for a hotel near her course, I found a local campground that offers fully finished cabins, in the middle of wilderness. Only about a 30 minute drive to her course, it was an excellent compromise for both of us.

So, I packed up my WSM, Stoker, and misc BBQ gadgets, and stopped at Sams for two CAB brisket flats, 3 racks of loinbacks and two large packages of thighs to practice my contest meats. I also threw a roll of jimmy dean, a chub of bologna and stuff to make ABT’s. After this trip is over, I’ll have 5 full days of practice under my belt and well relaxed to get back to work. While she is in class all day, I’m sitting in a foldout chair, drinking a beer, smoking a cigar and watching the pit. (Bought the laptop and wireless internet card too so I could browse the forums all day) I have one of the briskets in right now over pecan and it smells great.

Expect pron to come soon!

-Nelson

butts
08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a great week...enjoy

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing and educational week. Damn good thinking on your part.

bowhnter
08-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Yep, good thinking!

hydramax
08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Think my wife could sign up for the class LOL !

Bigmista
08-25-2008, 01:16 PM
After this trip is over, I’ll have 5 full days of practice under my belt and well relaxed to get back to work.

You will also smell like smoke, have black fingernails, lethal farts and a possible constipation headache. May I suggest grilling some peaches, pineapple, tomatoes, cabbage or aparagus? Or perhaps making some coleslaw to go with your meat?

Just a suggestion.

NelsonC
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
You will also smell like smoke, have black fingernails, lethal farts and a possible constipation headache. May I suggest grilling some peaches, pineapple, tomatoes, cabbage or aparagus? Or perhaps making some coleslaw to go with your meat?

Just a suggestion.

HAHA.... The wife refuses to eat BBQ without some veggies, so as much as it breaks my heart, I was forced to make some sides... tonight is Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans Almondine to go with the Brisket... I figured I would use leftover Brisket in my beans tomorrow night with the chicken :-)

Grilled peaches sounds great, I'll have to run up to the "old country store" and keep my fingers crossed that I can find some.

-Nelson

Mad Max
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
That sounds like a dream vacation. Maybe you are on to something. A tour company that you get all the necessary things to BBQ, internet access, unlimited ice cold beer, on site butcher store, fine cigars and a vast BBQ supply store with various charcoals, woods and rubs. I'd buy into that. Call it "Club Brethren".

Todd Ras
08-25-2008, 02:38 PM
WOW, this is my type of vacation!! My wife is always telling me to take a vacation and now I might actually do it. I think she was hoping I would take her to Hawaii, but i'm sure watching me Q all week would be just fine too :)

hydramax
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Mad Max is onto something "Club Brethren" The summer camp for Q'ers ! Don't forget 60" Plasmas on every wall in the cabins - including pit area (satellite and jacuzzi's included)

Mark
08-25-2008, 03:14 PM
That sounds like a dream vacation. Maybe you are on to something. A tour company that you get all the necessary things to BBQ, internet access, unlimited ice cold beer, on site butcher store, fine cigars and a vast BBQ supply store with various charcoals, woods and rubs. I'd buy into that. Call it "Club Brethren".

Good dream. Start a collection to buy some acerage. Here's the first requirement (add to list)

Must have hickory trees (at a minimum)

CajunSmoker
08-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Good dream. Start a collection to buy some acerage. Here's the first requirement (add to list)

Must have hickory trees (at a minimum)

requirement #2 - May not be located in a dry county:!:

Norcoredneck
08-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Enjoy you trip, back to the wild, rekindling the days of old. Man , nature, fire, meat. Real caveman you are.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/cavemen2.jpg

BBQ Grail
08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
How long's the drive? We could have fatties by now!