PDA

View Full Version : Bandera first cook

sluggo
08-17-2008, 08:21 AM
I got a lot of great advice from ya'll...unfortunately, I HAD to do a brisket :sad:

It got a little too hot...and a little too cool. Burned the bottom of the brisket. What was left was edible. The fatty was GREAT!!! Inside is: jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese, red onion chunks, pepper jack cheese and cheddar cheese.

I think I'll do some chicken next! and another fatty! :wink:

i haven't given up on brisket yet...

Brauma
08-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Practice makes perfect. Fire management is key with the Bandera. Thats what you have to learn. On my Dera, I have to tend the fire about every 45 minutes while stick-burning. If you tinker with the vents it takes about 10 minutes till you see the effect.

Just keep playing with it and you'll get there.

I'll advise you to start with Boston Butts till you learn how the Dera runs. Butts are hard to fark up.

Your fatty looks great!

BBQ Bandit
08-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Good can-do attitude Sluggo.

Ditto what Brauma mentioned... fire-management and a fire/heat baffle (in the smoke chamber) will be a great advantage on the next pork butt/shoulder.

Keep us informed.

Learning by burning myself (if I burned it... didn't learn the lesson in smoking). Keep at it... We all learn... thats why the forum is so popular.

Keep smoking,
Bandit

Bigdog
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Still love cooking with my Bandera. You will to. When you load them up, you can will have hot spots and cool spots. Rotation is the key, as well as fire management. Hang in there and keep cooking.

Brian in Maine
08-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks good. I might have to make a fatty today. If you cook fat side down you can avoid burning the meat.

BBQ Grail
08-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Learning the Bandera can be frustrating at times. But when you get it well seasoned and dialed in it's going to be fun to cook on.

Just one fatty?

keend
08-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Are you burning sticks or charcoal in the Bandera and have you done any of the mods in the Bandera 101 document?

The Bandera is a fuel hog and takes a lot of tending, but once you get it dialed in and learn how to manage the fire on it, she will cook some mighty fine Q.

Keep reading threads/asking questions here and keep trying.

nmayeux
08-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Good for you with your Bandera! Even though the damn thing is backwards, I love this cooker. Still use my BSKD on smaller cooks, and it makes a perfect cold smoker for bacon!

jestridge
08-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Not bad at all on your first test drive very nice looking fatty

StLouQue
08-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Stick with it, Sluggo. Cook in all kinds of weather. Sometimes stuff gets overdone, other times you may have to finish up in the oven. Familiarity will teach you the tendencies of your cooker. In time, you'll instinctively know when to make adjustments, and when to leave the 'dera alone.

Even though the damn thing is backwards...

:shock::?::?::?:
Please explain.

nmayeux
08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Stick with it, Sluggo. Cook in all kinds of weather. Sometimes stuff gets overdone, other times you may have to finish up in the oven. Familiarity will teach you the tendencies of your cooker. In time, you'll instinctively know when to make adjustments, and when to leave the 'dera alone.

:shock::?::?::?:
Please explain.The Bandera is a backwards BSKD. :twisted: Actually the two are mirror images of each other. Some say that the 'Dera has better latches, and the BSKD has better wheels. Anyway, I love my cooker!

StLouQue
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh right. Sorry, failed to make the connection. The Bandera wheels do suck. I replaced mine with steel casters

butts a fire
08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Love my Bandera it was my first real smoker and what I learned to smoke on. Once you learn it you will love it also. Like other have said the key to it is fire management also another thing to remember is don't trust the door thermometer use a probe thermo at grate level.