PDA

View Full Version : Unique Smoker at County Fair

bigmo
08-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Family just came back from our local county fair tonight.

While there I sampled some pulled pork from a vendor.
Excellent Taste, a very good sandwich.

He was using two unique smokers.
Miniature versions of a traditional cinder block whole hog pit (Sorta Like This (http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/bbr.htm))
with the cinder blocks replaced by heavy gauge steel.

I asked if I could look at his smokers (he had two side by side).
He gave me a quick look (very busy).
Said the smokers were made by a friend and "Sometimes Simple is better".

Sadly I left my camera home this year.
Below is a crudely drawn diagram and a picture of last years fair.

As noted the smokers were rectangular metal boxes with no top or bottom other than sheets of corrugated metal.
Pork butts were placed on a expanded metal rack in one half of the cooker with the fire banked on the other side.
I saw no air controls.

I did not get to ask any questions due to he was busy and the family was hungry.

I went back later but he was closed, no contact info was posted other than the name "Big T Barbeque".

I've tried tonight to Google/Search about this type of smoker. No Luck.

Any Brethren know any thing about this type of smoker?

Thanks.

Qcrue2U
08-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Whoa... Ive never seen anything like that before!

bigmo
08-17-2008, 01:00 AM
The cook also mentioned that he was only using the corrugated metal at the bottom because he did not want to damage the fairs concrete.

This leads me to assume that the open bottom of the box is usually used on the ground!?

mbshop
08-17-2008, 01:30 AM
bigger version of how i cook on my kettle. sounds cool and as you say simple. imagine its also easy to take down and transport. would seem that it would not be hard to duplicate. thanks for the info.

bigmo
08-17-2008, 01:42 AM
No take down with these boxes.
Welded solid.
Thick super heavy gauge steel (like David Klose (http://www.bbqpits.com/) uses for his fireboxes).
Rebar on each end for handles.
Saw a flatbed trailer that was probably used to transport.

mbshop you are right, it would be like a "beefed up" kettle cook.

TysDad
08-17-2008, 09:35 AM
"sheets of corrugated metal"

sure hope the bottom sheet wasn't galvanized !!!

BobF
08-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Sounds like the corrugated metal might have been his air control.
Was there more than one sheet on top?

bigmo
08-17-2008, 10:37 AM
TysDad - good comment...the smoker was sitting on a corrugated metal sheet but I think he was using a sheet of flat metal (stainless steel or aluminum) between the smoker and corrugated sheet because I could not see the corrugated metal in the bottom of the smoker and he said the smoker's bottom was open to the ground.

BobF - He had a single sheet on top cut to size with small broken chunks of cinder block adding weight. I saw that the piece was angled in a way that left a opening above the meat. I too wondered if that was for air control or just accessing the meat for mopping.

BobF
08-17-2008, 10:49 AM
TysDad - good comment...the smoker was sitting on a corrugated metal sheet but I think he was using a sheet of flat metal (stainless steel or aluminum) between the smoker and corrugated sheet because I could not see the corrugated metal in the bottom of the smoker and he said the smoker's bottom was open to the ground.

BobF - He had a single sheet on top cut to size with small broken chunks of cinder block adding weight. I saw that the piece was angled in a way that left a opening above the meat. I too wondered if that was for air control or just accessing the meat for mopping.

So he would have had some airflow under the Ns ununun (crude ascii corrugated metal). Intake at the fire side, smoke exits above meat.
Bet that bend was precisely formed.

BIGWILLY
08-17-2008, 11:05 AM
sounds like the last thing this guy would have is a thermometer on the pit, but I'm wondering what temp is he at and does it hold steady temp?

bigmo
08-17-2008, 11:50 AM
bigwilly - I do not recall seeing a thermometer anywhere on or in the smoker.
He had a good sized fire banked so I would guess he's running on the high side.
That would make sense because he has to cook a lot of pork quickly for vending.
As for holding temps, a pure guess but It probably runs like my Gourmet ECB, as it pleases.

about his product - the pulled pork tasted excellent.
It had a light smoke flavor and no noticeable smoke ring.
I watched him pull the butts then chop the meat.
I also noticed him discarding the bark.
I've heard this is common when vending because the "public at large" does not get that it is not "burnt".

He offered two sauces..Mild or Hot (was not), both were good if somewhat bland Kansas City style sauces.

The meat was his best thing.
He served it on plain white hamburger buns, no sides other than a bag of chips or homemade brownie.
He had ran out of slaw.

jestridge
08-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Nobody have got sick using gal metal unless they weld or cut on it. Lot of food processing plant use gal. What make you sick is fumes it gives off while you weld or cut on it. If it get that hot while bbq it be burn the meat up any