PDA

View Full Version : You aren't going to believe this rib recipe

BBQ Grail
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Today's Sacramento Bee has an article on how to grill ribs. Why won't you believe it? Well read the article, follow the link and watch the video.

First the article:

What's Cooking: Stick to your ribs

Start with the basics, and soon you'll be grilling a rack of bones to tender perfection – seasoned with a rub you make yourself

When you shop for ribs, you will find three cuts of pork labeled as ribs: country style, baby back and spareribs.

Country-style ribs are not true ribs. They are cut from the loin, which is near the shoulder. They do not always include a portion of bone and they are more like a chop than a rib.

Baby backs are cut from the top portion of the rib area. They are generally leaner and smaller than spareribs. Baby backs come trimmed and ready to cook.

Spareribs are cut from the lower portion of the rib, near the same area where bacon is cut. They are fattier and meatier than baby backs and are usually cut longer. They are also much cheaper than baby backs.

Spareribs usually have a flap or membrane on the bone side that should be trimmed off before cooking. Trimming away the membrane helps the meat to cook more evenly, and the sauce or rub will penetrate better.

Plan to buy 1 pound of baby backs or spare ribs for each person. That sounds like a lot,but it makes up for the portion that can't be eaten.
One of the best ways to flavor ribs is to use a dry rub. If you make your own rub, generally the base is paprika. Then you add the other flavorings that suit your palate, such as garlic powder, onion powder, basil, dill or chili powder. Cinnamon is a nice flavor with pork.

If you'd rather buy a rub, give McCormick pork rub a try. It does an excellent job of flavoring ribs and it makes a crunchy coating as the ribs cook. Also check your butcher shop. Many have their own signature rubs which are quite nice.

To use a rub, brush the ribs with a little oil, then sprinkle them on both sides with a generous layer of rub. Wrap the ribs in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for six to eight hours or overnight or. Bring them to room temperature before placing them on the grill.

Slow-cook the ribs over indirect, medium heat. Grilling should take about two hours. Plan to turn them over about halfway through cooking.
Some people parboil their ribs before grilling. These are the novice grillers. All you accomplish by parboiling is draining off all the flavor.

If you use a mop, which is a marinade-style sauce that is brushed on frequently during grilling, apply the last layer of mop about 30 minutes before the ribs are done. Otherwise you risk contaminating cooked meat with raw meat juice. You will know when the ribs are done because the meat begins to pull back and expose the bones.

If you use a barbecue sauce, brush it on about 10 minutes before the ribs come off the grill. If you use it too early it is more likely to burn.

VIDEO (http://www.sacbee.com/taste/story/1151659.html)

Here's what I propose:

Her email address is: [email protected]. Would you take a few minutes and send her an email. Tell her about the Brethren and that you appreciate her not telling people to boil the ribs.

I think we need to let people like this know they are doing the right thing. Yes, some of her technique is a little different than what we'd do, but at least this gets people in the right direction.

I'm going to send her an email and invite her to take a look here. And I'm going to put this as a link on my blog..

Help me give the lady some kudos.

Westexbbq
08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
I agree, nice gesture and will follow up accordingly.

BBQ Grail
08-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I sent Gwen an email and this is the response I got back. There is hope...

Hi Larry,
Thanks so much for the very nice note. I DO love ribs and I am always so disappointed when friends invite me over and they have boiled them before they grill them! I have sometimes started them off in the oven in very low heat, then moved them out to the grill, but I only do that if I'm desperate.

I would be flattered if you added a link to my video. Thanks for asking. I'd like to return the favor by including your web site in my media recommendations on my what's cooking page. Are you in the Sacramento area? I'm always looking for a grill enthusiasts who have good tips and I'd love to add you to my list of contacts.

Gwen

Gwen Schoen, Senior Food Writer
Sacramento Bee
P.O. Box 15779
Sacramento, CA 95852
[email protected]

jestridge
08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
She seem like a very nice person

1_T_Scot
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Pretty Cool someone in the media that seems like a real down to earth person. (Not Arrogant)

Camille Eonich
08-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Cool! Thanks for letting us know.

K I N G P I N
08-13-2008, 06:46 PM
THANK GOD she said par boiling was bad!!!!!

Mark
08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
People grill ribs?